Winnipeg, Urban Decay, and Other Cities

5 minutes ago, Stickem said:

A shooting everday in Van....The drug trade has an ongoing war that threatens passersby almost daily....That does not happen in Winnipeg, as I follow the local news quite closely....Sure the Peg has it's problems but not like Vancouvers....I don't know who compiles shootings ...followed by a stolen car fire to cover evidence, but I assure you Van is a helluva lot worse than the Peg in that respect...Just face it violent crime in general is rampant across the country...When one politician said the country is 'broken' , he's very close to the truth

But the stats say otherwise,  yes Vancouver with a much larger population will have higher totals.  But per capita Winnipeg has more crime.      Also Winnipeg has had a drug war for over 10 years downtown.   Remember what I said... media only reports a tiny fraction of the crimes that are commited around town.    

For the larger cities Winnipeg, Regina, and Kelowna are always near the top for highest crime rate in Canada.   Thompson and its crime rate is insanely high.   

Just now, HardCoreBlue said:

And/or its the crew he runs with as a reason why.

Once again stats don't lie,  the museum is not well attended.   It's a draw for only a niche part of the population.     Not opinion it's fact.   

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

But the stats say otherwise,  yes Vancouver with a much larger population will have higher totals.  But per capita Winnipeg has more crime.      Also Winnipeg has had a drug war for over 10 years downtown.   Remember what I said... media only reports a tiny fraction of the crimes that are commited around town.    

For the larger cities Winnipeg, Regina, and Kelowna are always near the top for highest crime rate in Canada.   Thompson and its crime rate is insanely high.   

Once again stats don't lie,  the museum is not well attended.   It's a draw for only a niche part of the population.     Not opinion it's fact.   

Citation (s) please.

2 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Citation (s) please.

For the stats?  Stats Canada and if you don't feel like going through the massive stat sheets that they have then you can google search.     Seriously you've never heard Winnipeg being called Murder Capital of Canada before?   It's always a joke when the numbers come out between Winnipeg and Edmonton exchanging the title. 

8 minutes ago, Brandon said:

For the stats?  Stats Canada and if you don't feel like going through the massive stat sheets that they have then you can google search.     Seriously you've never heard Winnipeg being called Murder Capital of Canada before?   It's always a joke when the numbers come out between Winnipeg and Edmonton exchanging the title. 

I've modified a line from Jerry Maguire where he says, you complete me. I've changed it to, you exhaust me. Said with warmth and caring of course.

Yes thank you google search, an amateurs tool for 'in-depth' research.

I remember looking into these same sheets of data leading up to the provincial election and was surprised to learn that while violent crime is on the rise since COVID started, violent crime rates in Winnipeg are way down today compared to the late 90s and early 2000s. It didn't feel like those were more violent times but if the stats are to be trusted there you go, we are safer today than 25 years ago.

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Need I post about how the attendance at the Human Rights Museum is significantly lower then what they had projected,  losing money,  and how they are struggling to get people into the door.     It's a niche attraction and not something that will bring a large amount of tourists into the city.  It's been a huge bust so far hence why people always joke about making it into an indoor waterpark to salvage all the money that was lost constructing and maintaining it. 

I've booked quite a few field trips groups at CMHR. They do have dates where they are fully booked. 

As does the MB. Museum - I was there on Friday with 40 grade 11s - the place was busy. 

2 hours ago, JCon said:

Incorrect. Student visits make up ~10% of the overall attendance. 

Wow so students make less % then the amount of comped tickets that are given out.  That's a bad thing.  Wait until you find out that the Gov't also pays for a large amount of the tickets in which they give away which are not counted in the "comped tickets".   

Older article -  https://winnipegsun.com/2015/06/06/human-rights-museum-attendance-dwarfed-by-zoo-other-museums 

Pre Covid -  https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/canadian-museum-human-rights-senior-staff-1.5469043

According to the museum's 2018-19 annual report, the museum welcomed 291,346 visitors during that fiscal year, falling four per cent short of its target of 303,500.

Of those visits, 94,626 — or 31 per cent — were paid admissions, according to the annual report. The museum hoped to collect admission from 100,000 visitors that fiscal year.

Those poor attendances also don't factor in the novelty of visiting a new building... the initial rush of interested people.  
Post Pandemic the attendance has further dropped.   I'm not even going to get into the corruption and other issues the place has,  but it has been  a huge miss on bringing in tourists.    

So once again... I stand by what I say because I know I am right.  Numbers do not lie.    

In the years before Covid, there were several organizations that sponsored the attendance of schools at the Manitoba Museum. It was not free, the museum was still getting paid. This is a fact - I take my grade 11 group to the museum every year. 

11 minutes ago, Brandon said:

So once again... I stand by what I say because I know I am right.  Numbers do not lie.    

No, they don't. Achieving 94 000 paid attendance when you're target is 100 000, is actually pretty good.

2 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

In the years before Covid, there were several organizations that sponsored the attendance of schools at the Manitoba Museum. It was not free, the museum was still getting paid. This is a fact - I take my grade 11 group to the museum every year. 

Yes but the goal for a museum is to bring in  tourists.     Get people from outside of Winnipeg to spend money in Winnipeg.   

The Calgary Stampede attracts people from around the world... they inject money into the local economy.    The CMHR doesn't do this at all.   

I'm assuming the Fed Gov't covers the losses every year so thankfully it doesn't fully burn the local economy.  

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

Yes but the goal for a museum is to bring in  tourists.     Get people from outside of Winnipeg to spend money in Winnipeg.   

The Calgary Stampede attracts people from around the world... they inject money into the local economy.    The CMHR doesn't do this at all.   

I'm assuming the Fed Gov't covers the losses every year so thankfully it doesn't fully burn the local economy.  

The article you posted indicates that they achieved over 90% of their paid attendance target.

17 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

The article you posted indicates that they achieved over 90% of their paid attendance target.

During the development of the Museum and after receiving the money from the various levels of Gov't they dropped the forecasted attendances considerably from the lack of interest and public response of the museum.      

It went from an Asper vanity project to the city/province/feds trying to salvage the money pit that it became.    

A more recent update on the financials

There continues to be much uncertainty in the revenue and expense projections for the planning
period as the ongoing impact of the pandemic and the length of recovery is still very much
unknown. Future additional funding support related to COVID is also uncertain.
The projections assume that revenues will take five years to recover to pre-COVID levels. They
provide for the human resource capacity to be rebuilt under the new CEO and will allow the
CMHR to invest in the work to address systemic racism and to rebuild the trust of staff,
stakeholders and the public. The projections also include development of on-site and online
programing to allow the CMHR to deliver on its mandate. These assumptions result in deficits
for the four years after 2022-23, totalling $24.4 million.

Not every museum is going to turn a profit but when you have a museum that isn't bringing any tourists and where it depends on free tickets or kids in school to fill it up.  It is a money pit.    The latest angle that they are doing now is pushing "online visitors" which is useless for the city.   Someone visiting the web page is not bringing in any tourists dollars.   

17 hours ago, Brandon said:

546 000 tourists visit Jets games?  Or would you say it's predominately people who reside in Winnipeg who go to the game and then immediately goes home?    Apples and Oranges comparisons.   

Do you think a million tourists go to the Calgary Stampede? That would be impossible as there's only a finite number of hotels in Calgary. So therefore, a high percentage of those million visitors to the Stampede grounds every year are local folks from Calgary & Southern Alberta . Sure there are tourists from Europe & Asia as well as the US it's maybe 25%, I'd think. As far as Jets home games go, the half million or so who attend are Winnipeggers with some tourists. People still come downtown. They have no choice.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Again I would add the crew they run with as a source of their knowledge.

How about the source being the official CMHR year end report of the financials and futures.

Boy it really is getting tiresome always being right.  

Also the earlier comment about the suburbs... Any normal person driving through our downtown can clearly see it is a dump. Anyone who says otherwise is delusional and suffering from denial. 

Face it, downtown is a dump and Winnipeg is not a place where people want to come and visit.  It's the truth. 

How about the source being the official CMHR year end report of the financials and futures.

Boy it really is getting tiresome always being right.  

Also the earlier comment about the suburbs... Any normal person driving through our downtown can clearly see it is a dump. Anyone who says otherwise is delusional and suffering from denial. 

Face it, downtown is a dump and Winnipeg is not a place where people want to come and visit.  It's the truth. 

michael someone GIF

I read those too - you're referring to them without the proper context

1. All Canadian museums operate as non-profit organizations

2. Most Canadian museums are primarily funded by both governments and foundations

6 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

I read those too - you're referring to them without the proper context

1. All Canadian museums operate as non-profit organizations

2. Most Canadian museums are primarily funded by both governments and foundations

1 - Yes but in the context of tourism and attracting people,  extremely poor ticket sales is an indicator that it is not bringing in tourists.    So it is a complete failure in that regards and in the context of "profitability" it's an even bigger failure.  I didn't even go into the scandals within the museum and the racism issues it has experienced within.  In all facets this museum is a huge fail.  

2 - I pointed this out earlier. 

3 minutes ago, Brandon said:

1 - Yes but in the context of tourism and attracting people,  extremely poor ticket sales is an indicator that it is not bringing in tourists.    So it is a complete failure in that regards and in the context of "profitability" it's an even bigger failure.  I didn't even go into the scandals within the museum and the racism issues it has experienced within.  In all facets this museum is a huge fail.  

2 - I pointed this out earlier. 

I have to concur here....plus its a colossal eyesore ,just like Glen Murrays phallic like bridge.......