2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Booch said:

cause dome arte boot lickers...so to ay....and no offence btw...I like OSH as well but he has a few big flaws....and if corrected...just iagine the juggernaut we would have...and we likely be going for 5 straight cup wins

do u not understand the usage??...you could use either...or as a national if someone went down with injury, anbd use an import to replace the actual injured....or if you added say a Cole for Kramdi for a certain scheme/set...U dont have to pull an import off say at end...or Dtackle to compensate....for example replace a Walker/Fox with a slug like Schmeckle or a severly declining Thomas....or a WJ/JJ/Haba...whomever your starter is with a useless Bennett...thats how it benefits....u can slice and dice it ans lick boot bottoms all you want, but utilizing the rules(s) only benefit the team as a whole over all...If you don't actually see that then I truly question your intelligence

Grow up Booch. People who disagree with you are not boot lickers. There`s no need to be childish.

47 minutes ago, Booch said:

he didnt like the rule when they were creating it...as he is on the committee and from what I hear was the only ditractor to it....needs to at times put his Canadian Bias and love aside for the betterment of the team...as was basically sole reason for his No vote...and this I guess is his statement and dieing on that hill with not using it....to me....thats not a good trait to harbour...using stubborn bias at expense of maximizing your roster, and making your team better...but whatever...he ain't gonna change and have to rserve ourselves to th fact that for his tenure here we will see more less than optimal moves, Just cause he is friggin Mike Oshea

The rules committee didn`t vote on it. Not sure where you are getting that from. This was collectively bargained in the last CBA. That is how ratio`s get changed not at committee. The rules committee can`t change roster makeup­ without it being bargained­. You don`t have to make stuff up to make your point.

3 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

That`s possible, but we did go 14-4 and to the Grey Cup so maybe he isn`tÉ

It`s because they did, but for some reason we seem to have an exaggerated take on it. I, too, would love to see the stats and I bet all teams usage is very similar.

Last two years this team should’ve handily won the gc. Underachieving the main goal with the best team isn’t an achievement. Take the best roster and team and finish with a great record that’s kind of expected. 

Marty Schottenheimer is a great example of a nfl coach who was considered great, but underachieved when it counted most. He got the rap of a guy who could turn a team around and could take you to a big game but not win it. Mos isn’t a Marty. But he’s also not a bill Walsh. At the end of the day, his teams don’t hate losing enough. Culture is more important to him than winning.  

12 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I don`t. I was responding to a poster who does. Thanks for chiming in.

Using the nationalized rule, doesnt mean you have more americans on the starting roster it only means you can play them for a limited amt of snaps in place of cdn. Your cdn backups remain the same. The third cdn safety isnt taking starter reps regardless.

7 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Last two years this team should’ve handily won the gc. Underachieving the main goal with the best team isn’t an achievement. Take the best roster and team and finish with a great record that’s kind of expected. 

Marty Schottenheimer is a great example of a nfl coach who was considered great, but underachieved when it counted most. He got the rap of a guy who could turn a team around and could take you to a big game but not win it. Mos isn’t a Marty. But he’s also not a bill Walsh. At the end of the day, his teams don’t hate losing enough. Culture is more important to him than winning.  

I`m not arguing that we didn`t maximize our utilization of it. Every coach has his own style and I hate comparing them because the differences between even coaches that seem similar are sometimes pretty big. MOS is MOS. He has some major strengths, and some minor weaknesses is how I would assess him.

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

Using the nationalized rule, doesnt mean you have more americans on the starting roster it only means you can play them for a limited amt of snaps in place of cdn. Your cdn backups remain the same. The third cdn safety isnt taking starter reps regardless.

Yes, I understand the rule.

Edited by GCn20

12 minutes ago, Pete said:

What it does mean is that we wouldn't need useless uniform fillers like Bennett taking ineffective DL snaps during a game. Could use an American for that and have your Canadian depth  be a useful piece somewhere else.

Curious, who does everyone feel we should have selected instead of Bennett at 8th and Kelly at 15th? I'm wondering who the 'big get' that we passed on twice was this year. For the life of me I can't figure it out. Uguak seems like the early hit of 2023 and he was gone at 7. Bemiy taken at 9 might round into a better player by the time he's Bennet's age but til then he's currently statistically trailing Bennett and I don't recall him standing out in any big way. Just curious 🤔

It's not even a judgement on picking Bennett..  but the guy was not a useful piece at all and he was only there because they wanted NIs in that role. Maybe he develops more and is useful in the future, but last year he was not. So that coupled with a useless DI in Jackson and the defensive line was not a strength of this team because the rotational pieces were utter trash. Using the Nationalized American rule could have helped that.

38 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

What it does mean is that we wouldn't need useless uniform fillers like Bennett taking ineffective DL snaps during a game. Could use an American for that and have your Canadian depth  be a useful piece somewhere else.

I agree, however, Bennett was a first year rookie. I think everyone here is being a little harsh on him. If we doesn`t progress this year, it`s a valid argument.,..but every team has to give their high draft picks some reps to develop.

10 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Curious, who does everyone feel we should have selected instead of Bennett at 8th and Kelly at 15th? I'm wondering who the 'big get' that we passed on twice was this year. For the life of me I can't figure it out. Uguak seems like the early hit of 2023 and he was gone at 7. Bemiy taken at 9 might round into a better player by the time he's Bennet's age but til then he's currently statistically trailing Bennett and I don't recall him standing out in any big way. Just curious 🤔

Last year`s draft was generally considered pretty weak. I`m not sure we do anything good with the picks.

15 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

It's not even a judgement on picking Bennett..  but the guy was not a useful piece at all and he was only there because they wanted NIs in that role. Maybe he develops more and is useful in the future, but last year he was not. So that coupled with a useless DI in Jackson and the defensive line was not a strength of this team because the rotational pieces were utter trash. Using the Nationalized American rule could have helped that.

As usual, Jeffcoat did his band-aid thing and Hansen, a previously critical part of the rotation, was rehabbing 90% of the season. Haba in particular looked good when he had the chance, it is a shame he didn't get more play time when there was opportunity to do so

16 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Last year`s draft was generally considered pretty weak. I`m not sure we do anything good with the picks.

That's sort of what I'm angling at here. The results aren't really in for another few season yet, but I'm not sure there were obviously better players left on the board. I like Bemiy over Bennett but I couldn't honestly argue one is better than the other right now when we need them

34 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I agree, however, Bennett was a first year rookie. I think everyone here is being a little harsh on him. If we doesn`t progress this year, it`s a valid argument.,..but every team has to give their high draft picks some reps to develop.

At his age he should be getting real close to his peek. Maaaybe he develops a bit more, but he'll never be heavy rotation worthy imo. Slow off the line, not enough strength and not enough flat out speed. I'd love for him to prove me wrong. But I think he eventually goes down as a bust.

47 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

agree, however, Bennett was a first year rookie. I think everyone here is being a little harsh on him. If we doesn`t progress this year, it`s a valid argument.,..but every team has to give their high draft picks some reps to develop.

They picked him specifically because they felt he was the most pro ready. The roster usage was garbage last season.

2 hours ago, Pete said:

I think you dont ger what i ams aying, if you are starting 8 cdns, and you want to replace thomas ir lawfon with an american, you can. As you still have the required ratio..If your questioning how the coaches evaluate talent, thats a question unrelated to rule.

With Jones returning he too might be able to beat out an american rookie giving more flexibility. Sure for emergency it might be benificial, but for the teams utilizing it regularly it hampers developement of the cdns  Can you give examples of teams using it that gave them a competitive advantage? 

Strange that you go directly to insults rather than backing up you comments.

we dont take advantage of starting that extra Canadian either...another point to consider...if you are going to start extra, then roster appropriate guys to really make it worth the while...we don't

Curious as to the Jones character is tho...hopefully he's a stud, but have no clue who you are referencing......

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Thing is our Canadian depth has been on the weak side the last two years save for back up ol. 
 Do you think the 3ni safety’s are better than import dbs like Parker? Do you think Bennett and Schmekel are better than Habba or fox? 
 Our back up candians aren’t better players than our back up imp players. Nis are well behind the imps position by position league wide. 

People just don’t get it. They watched rotations with high quality guys propel us to grey cups and still can’t see the Forrest from the trees. We’ve also seen countless times useless guys like hurl, kuale, up to Jackson rostered and even started. People talked bad about pigrome thinking he wouldn’t get picked up or how he’s not worth it now. But the same people don’t recognize that the mos guys that start or kr seldom if ever get picked up when we let them go. We start guys then let them go in the off season and no one wants them as back ups. 

mos is the best player manager, culture guy, and leader in the league. He’s also the worst at setting up a roster. 

agreed....and youcan go as far to say the starting of Kramdi...as an extra Canadian essentiually for no particular reason was odd as well....The fact we had no Import...or couldn't find an import better than that is pretty sad...even sadder is the fact we had a few guys we could have put there better....yet chose not to....Kramdi is adequate average at best, and what we see...is his ceiling...not floor...we need an upgrade there net yr whether it's Ford (Who I sure on physical skill alone will be better) or an import

For all Osh pluses...he is not a good roster architect and also I question his evaluation of talent...or perhaps the rasoning behind who gets reps and rostered...Success despite our selves at times....and that as is obviously apparent the last 2 yrs is slowly eroding away

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

No. The 2019 & 2021 teams had the opposition physically beaten down by the 4th quarter. 

2019 and 2021 that just won the trenches so hard teams couldn't compete. 8 guys rotating along the defensive line who could contribute. We lost that the past couple years and you see the difference.  No grey cups.

2 hours ago, MOBomberFan said:

Honestly I don’t even hate the Bennett pick because the draft class was so bad, as I said right from the start of the lead up last year.

Just the player deployment is an issue.

1 hour ago, Booch said:

we dont take advantage of starting that extra Canadian either...another point to consider...if you are going to start extra, then roster appropriate guys to really make it worth the while...we don't

Curious as to the Jones character is tho...hopefully he's a stud, but have no clue who you are referencing......

sorry that should have been Ford.  But  I do agree that last year our back up import talent wasn't utilized properly or we lacked depth. 

ie. when grant went down we had to experiment with several players none of whom were adequate, and utilizing Jackson as an import was a waste. If they are looking to fox to be good enough to reolace walker why wasn't he given more opportunity. Same could be said for Haba,

Our top 10 canadians are the best in the league but it does get thin in the bottom 4 or 5. Hopefully with 10 draft picks this year and the return of ford it will be better. I also think they like the developement of Charboneau after he went back to school ly

Edited by Pete

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

a 26 year old "first year rookie"..... not sure how much more he's going to develop...

You may be right, I just think that we need to at least give him more than his rookie season.

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Yeah that comment reaks of living in the past, like say 5 years ago. And even then it was more the depth than pure top end talent.

Our top end talent at NAT is damn good, but our depth is not what it used to be.