2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

Just now, Geebrr said:

Someone tell me why we wouldn’t want Jamal Davis  II coming off the edge. 

i wanted him when MTL released him...HAM had hoarded DE's last yr

1 minute ago, Mike said:

Jeff Hamilton reporting Brady took less to stay in Winnipeg and talked 250k+ with other teams.

makes me think that SASK gonna be paying large for an import back....foolish Oday....and Kudos to BO for the hometown discount...I'm warming up to it as he the best back in league until someone else proves otherwise...just hope the numbers allow us to shore up elsewhere

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Mike said:

Now hearing DB Demerio Houston has agreed in principle to a two-year deal with Calgary that has a total guaranteed figure exceeding $275k, making him one of the league’s highest-paid defensive backs.

what in the actual **** lol

Actually been a fan of his for a while

**** it - if that is what Hardrick, Thurman, and  Houston are making the Brady contract is super fair. 

I’ve changed my mind. 

Also - I have also been a fan of Davis II - he is due for a real dominant season IMO. 

2 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Someone tell me why we wouldn’t want Jamal Davis  II coming off the edge. 

Does he have a history of military service?

1 minute ago, Mike said:

Now hearing DB Demerio Houston has agreed in principle to a two-year deal with Calgary that has a total guaranteed figure exceeding $275k, making him one of the league’s highest-paid defensive backs.

If houston is worth that much, brady should be worth a cool 3 million. 

Am I crazy? Why are teams over paying the guys whose absence makes us better?

Just now, Mike said:

holy effen eff!!!.....thats crazy to pay that to our worst db hahaha

1 hour ago, voodoochylde said:

This.

Look, I'm happy Brady is a part of the team and I've also been an advocate of signing and retaining local players going back to my days on OB.  However, if we look at the CFL (and running backs in general), it is a largely disposable position and I feel the money could have been better spent plugging holes across the roster.  Hell, I'll even come out and say that if the the spend on Brady is what costs us Schoen, I'd be disappointed.  "Bradyball" or not .. if he goes down, you're going to have to plug the spot with an American back anyways (see last year).  Lose a guy like Schoen, we literally have nobody stepping in to fill that void.  We have a terrible track record of integrating new WRs into our offense and seeing them any sort of have sustained success.

American running backs who hit 1,000 yards may be disposable. A Canadian RB who hits 1,500 (and 2,000 from scrimmage) much less so. And if he goes down, we have Another Canadian to step in as well as any American. As for Schoen, we still have Lawler, who is at least his equal production-wise. And many keep saying that Bailey would be a top 2 1,000 yard receiver on any other team, maybe he’ll finally get the chance to meet these fan  expectations here if Schoen is gone. 

Just now, Booch said:

that removes one player from being in starting lineup based on shiny stats alone....thank god

Even better, teams are taking them self out of the market of actual good players lol. Some one is gonna get a reaallly good deal by default of no one else having a big contract left to hand out. 

9 minutes ago, Mike said:

"Hufnagel has left the building."

Just now, Mike said:

Just to be clear it’s obviously not 275k a season but the whole deal is fully guaranteed? That’s ridiculous 

That is insane. 

The year before last he was getting violated- then he made some picks to distract from continuing to get violated - and now he has $140k a year guaranteed. 

I take it back Sayles - you are no longer arguably the most overrated DB in the league. 

26 minutes ago, Booch said:

a more agile mobile RT will def help ZC take less punishment, and be more settled in pocket...Yosh for all he brought and gave...was getting beat a lot with speed and moves last yr, and roller skated as he had to set more upright and guys were getting under him immediately and he had no base, and first punch...Just watch Stan and his use of hands and how a simple swat or misdirect of a dlineman totally takes their move out of their arsenal...Yosh wasnt doing that no more

Why was he set more upright? Too heavy and slow now?

2 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

American running backs who hit 1,000 yards may be disposable. A Canadian RB who hits 1,500 (and 2,000 from scrimmage) much less so. And if he goes down, we have Another Canadian to step in as well as any American. 

This. The way the roster is built, BO could have an American back up.

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

Just to be clear it’s obviously not 275k a season but the whole deal is fully guaranteed? That’s ridiculous 

Yeah. So almost 140k, and that might not include bonus cash. 
 Glad for him and his family. Happier for us though. 

1 minute ago, Mark H. said:

This. The way the roster is built, BO could have an American back up.

If grant is gone I think it’s very likely we go di back up rb who is also the kr. 

Just now, bryan35 said:

Why was he set more upright? Too heavy and slow now?

from my take yeah...and if he was in a traditional setup he's nbe getting beaten like a rented mule...so sacrificed other aspects to cover that...I think Sask gonna be a lil disappointment as they dont have a guard like Neuf there to help out

Just now, wbbfan said:

Yeah. So almost 140k, and that might not include bonus cash. 
 Glad for him and his family. Happier for us though. 

If grant is gone I think it’s very likely we go di back up rb who is also the kr. 

Kinda looks like that....and I like!

48 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Every league, every level has RB valued very low because of the ability to plug and play another guy at all times. I think you are under rating the value that the game plan, and blockers have had on our success. You plug in Brown, or really most of the other top 10 backs in the league you don't see a dip in rushing yards. You might not have the ability to grind out the clock, or block, or pass catch etc. But the rb talent pool is what it is. 

Impossible to truly know if other backs could match Brady’s numbers, but I will offer two things:

1. If we were debating 1,200 yards vs 1,150 or even 1,000 I might buy that. But 1,500 yards is rarified air (as is 2,000 yards from scrimmage) and I think people being irked about Brady’s tweet fuelled a lot of downgrading about how good his year was. 

2. The only real fair comparable if we want to say anyone could match Brady’s numbers with this o-line is to look at the last guy who played behind this o-line. Andrew Harris never put up the numbers Brady did last year, and people want him on our Ring of Honour. Put me in the camp that says Brady, especially as a Canadian ratio-breaker, would not have been easily replaced. 

10 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

American running backs who hit 1,000 yards may be disposable. A Canadian RB who hits 1,500 (and 2,000 from scrimmage) much less so. And if he goes down, we have Another Canadian to step in as well as any American. As for Schoen, we still have Lawler, who is at least his equal production-wise. And many keep saying that Bailey would be a top 2 1,000 yard receiver on any other team, maybe he’ll finally get the chance to meet these fan  expectations here if Schoen is gone. 

You’re missing the point.  You don’t need a RB who can put up 2000 yards from scrimmage to win in this league.

You need a deep, complete roster (and a quarterback).

Just now, Mike said:

I wish I knew where to find this: I can only assume he led the league in runs for a first on second down, but how many more than the next guy did Brady have 

he had most runs over 10....know that...I think by a wide margin too

1 hour ago, Booch said:

yeah...Its not about being spoiled....My opinion...and mine only is that we could have paid an import back a third of that, and got excellent production, and have solidified our Dline, and likely another Dback or linebacker, and been a deeper...stronger team.....

Was it the team feeling the need to sign the local guy?...I don't have that answer, but I could care less where a player came from to be honest...and now does this have an effect that is why we signed Thomas...Kolo on value deals, Already have Bennett on a rookie deal and will be seeing heavy does of them all yr basically just taking u a roster spot...Backed up by a Schmeckle....and WJ having one of Haba/Garbutt or a diff new recruit as his running mate...and nothing behind him? and also hinders us bringing back a BOLO?...Then to me it's totally not worth it....Juice def not worth the squeeze...Hopefully Walters has some crazy magic going on to allow us to not have to rape Peter to pay Paul

The exact same argument can be made for paying Schoen big dollars. His cap hit would hamstring us even more than Brady in terms of not getting other pieces. Brady’s increase is $115,000 over his last contract. Schoen could be as much as $230,000. And replacing an elite Canadian who put up 1,500 yards, even as a running back, may not be that much easier than replacing a starting American receiver. We already have one under contract in Lawler. 

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

I wish I knew where to find this: I can only assume he led the league in runs for a first on second down, but how many more than the next guy did Brady have 

Not a fair comparable. BO had almost 100 more rushing touches than any other starting RB.

7 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Impossible to truly know if other backs could match Brady’s numbers, but I will offer two things:

1. If we were debating 1,200 yards vs 1,150 or even 1,000 I might buy that. But 1,500 yards is rarified air (as is 2,000 yards from scrimmage) and I think people being irked about Brady’s tweet fuelled a lot of downgrading about how good his year was. 

2. The only real fair comparable if we want to say anyone could match Brady’s numbers with this o-line is to look at the last guy who played behind this o-line. Andrew Harris never put up the numbers Brady did last year, and people want him on our Ring of Honour. Put me in the camp that says Brady, especially as a Canadian ratio-breaker, would not have been easily replaced. 

I dont think the production is what makes brady unique, its the production combined with the versatility and the passport. 1500 yards is rarer now because teams just dont run that much these days. 

The Offence was pretty different with harris, a lot more check down to harris based than last year.