2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

3 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

I’d be upset with this. Whitehead can’t stay healthy and he has lot a step. 

I agree on the injury front. But I think he's only gotten better as a receiver since he was here. And he will still stretch defenses... Which is something that we don't have a lot of in our receiving core

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Brady being local is a very big component of why he is loved here.  He's also a hell of a player and a good human being.

Just saying the negotiations pose a risk to the Bomber brand.  And that's all I am saying.

I see no risk at all. Even the average fan understands the parameters of a cap world in sports. The only risk to the Bombers is if they severely lowballed him and he went public with that....and even then it would be like Harris. People outraged for a day or two then flocking to the stadium in droves to watch us win.

11 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Carey's never really been a full time player either nor a threat in the pass game at all for anyone but his QB.  And he's 32. 

So in avoiding paying the guy that is we might end up paying the same amount to use an extra roster spot for a couple guys, probably 1 vet and 1 rookie deal guy, to do the job plus Augustine.

I think it circles back to Oliviera.

There is Jamal Morrow too if you really want a guy catching passes. 

1 minute ago, BBlink said:

I agree on the injury front. But I think he's only gotten better as a receiver since he was here. And he will still stretch defenses... Which is something that we don't have a lot of in our receiving core

I wouldn't mind Lucky here as a returner and occasional receiver IF we can't re-sign Grant.

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Part of my RB requirements is that they are a good RB, so I'll take a pass on Morrow.

yup....worst starting RB in the league....hard pass on that....guy has too many runs for loss...and no gain ....I'd roll with JA before him

52 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Id spent up on Ouellete over Kadeem Carey personally. I like Ouellete's style. He would make us even more physical than we were with Brady and Carey has a significant injury history.  After Brady and Ouellete that's when id be looking for bargains like Carey.

I like Ouelletes style too. But he is not more physical than Brady.

1 hour ago, Booch said:

They don't...Walters will go on record and say "this is what we could afford as to now disrupt the roster esewhere"....and say "this is what BO wanted"....and thats that

I think he pulled in 205k ONE YR.....But not that 235k NUMBER

Who knows, he might have included his award bonuses and playoff total in that number, but I wouldn't be surprised if he earned that much in one year plus extra outside endorsements.  All of which are things Brady should take into account.

23 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I see no risk at all. Even the average fan understands the parameters of a cap world in sports. The only risk to the Bombers is if they severely lowballed him and he went public with that....and even then it would be like Harris. People outraged for a day or two then flocking to the stadium in droves to watch us win.

No risk?  What if they don't win and the running game sucks?  What if they're not winning because the running game sucks?

There is most definitely risk involved.

13 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

No risk?  What if they don't win and the running game sucks?  What if they're not winning because the running game sucks?

There is most definitely risk involved.

This is just a strange line of thinking to me. 

If they’re not winning and he’s here is that a risk? 

1 hour ago, Wideleft said:

Then fans will still have a very popular local talent to cheer for.

I'm not saying sign him for what he's asking - just saying there IS a risk to letting him go.

Most fans aren't as sophisticated as this MENSA-certified community - they just like getting drunk and cheering for the guy they like.  And winning.

Honestly you summed up perfectly the average sports fans of most teams in most leagues. 

39 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

I’d be upset with this. Whitehead can’t stay healthy and he has lot a step. 

I like whitehead, Carey, wieneke as bounce back guys in the right position. But it’d have to be cheap incentive laden deals. No way I’d want to give those guys much money. 

Poached from the Canadian Press:

"It was kind of one of those things where I wasn't getting a ton of real looks anymore," Streveler told reporters Thursday during a video conference. "I've been home since August . . . I've been training waiting for a call for 18 weeks and it just got to the point where I was kind of tired of playing that game.

"Everyone knows how much respect I have for this (CFL) game and the players up north and, of course, my love for Winnipeg. It was dry on the NFL side and I was like, 'Let's do it.' I just want to play ball and fortunately was able to get the opportunity here. I'm beyond excited about it."

I enjoy that last sentence.

1 hour ago, JCon said:

WR budget is much larger than the RB budget. You keep Schoen and go rookie/cheaper for the rest of the spots.

Agreed WR budget is bigger than the RB budget, but what is the limit?

Lawler $285k

Demski $180k

Bailey $120k?

Woli $120k?

Schoen $250k?

Looking at $1 million for 5 players in that positional group and there are at least 2 backups, all within a $5,450,000 salary cap.

I predict Schoen receives an offer the Bombers can't match and they bump Bailey to $140k to reward him for his hard work and sticking with the team.  Slot in rookie contract Ontaria Wilson in Schoen's absence.

1 hour ago, Fatty Liver said:

Who knows, he might have included his award bonuses and playoff total in that number, but I wouldn't be surprised if he earned that much in one year plus extra outside endorsements.  All of which are things Brady should take into account.

He was never paid 235k here. 

6 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Agreed WR budget is bigger than the RB budget, but what is the limit?

Lawler $285k

Demski $180k

Bailey $120k?

Woli $120k?

Schoen $250k?

Looking at $1 million for 5 players in that positional group and there are at least 2 backups, all within a $5,450,000 salary cap.

I predict Schoen receives an offer the Bombers can't match and they bump Bailey to $140k to reward him for his hard work and sticking with the team.  Slot in rookie contract Ontaria Wilson in Schoen's absence.

Considering Bailey signed for 85k last year I very highly doubt we go higher than 100k for him.