West Semi Final GDT

bustamente

1 hour ago, Booch said:

yup....Plus Huff was very well connected and was a big reason for a lot of the talent that rolled thru there. and now he isn't a part of that....and it showed.

There's been a lot of  talk about the Stamps downturn being blamed on Huff not being involved but is that actually the case?  Yes, he gave up the GM title to Dickie but he added "consultant" to his team president role and he's still in the booth during the games with a headset on.  I can't recall seeing Wade or any other team president doing that so it makes me wonder how much has actually changed in Calgary.

Edited by bigg jay

6 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

No argument from me there. I will add though, that Hufnagel's philosophy worked out very well for him. They were the dominant CFL team for a decade doing that. The problem is Huff isn't really there anymore, and towards the end he was too old to put in the amount of work required to make that kind of strategy pay off. Walters has a very different philosophy to Huf and it too works and is far more sustainable imo.

For sure. Dicky needs to do a full evaluation of how the Stamps sign/recruit because the Hufnagel era is over. Dicky could do himself a big favor by going out and getting a better QB for sure.

I think Huff is also the teams only conduit to Murray Edwards the Stamps absentee owner, who doesn't want to spend an extra nickel and probably doesn't even watch the games. 

42 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

There's been a lot of  talk about the Stamps downturn being blamed on Huff not being involved but is that actually the case?  Yes, he gave up the GM title to Dickie but he added "consultant" to his team president role and he's still in the booth during the games with a headset on.  I can't recall seeing Wade or any other team president doing that so it makes me wonder how much has actually changed in Calgary.

Either way, it is irrelevant. Huf has either passed on the duties to Dicky, or is just too old to do it the same way he used to do it. When your strategy is to operate on a shoe string budget and simply move on from guys when they go their 2nd contract you better be able to keep your cupboards overflowing with talented rookies. For whatever reason Huf no longer makes that happen.

38 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

I think Huff is also the teams only conduit to Murray Edwards the Stamps absentee owner, who doesn't want to spend an extra nickel and probably doesn't even watch the games. 

It's not like the fickle fans of Calgary give him a reason to care....just saying.

4 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Either way, it is irrelevant. Huf has either passed on the duties to Dicky, or is just too old to do it the same way he used to do it. When your strategy is to operate on a shoe string budget and simply move on from guys when they go their 2nd contract you better be able to keep your cupboards overflowing with talented rookies. For whatever reason Huf no longer makes that happen.

It's not like the fickle fans of Calgary give him a reason to care....just saying.

Chicken or the egg scenario, the Stamps need a reboot regardless.

2 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

Chicken or the egg scenario, the Stamps need a reboot regardless.

this... if the ownership put money into the product, maybe the fans would come back and give him a reason to be optimistic....? Definite chicken and egg scenario.

13 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Lets not forget where the term Canadian Mafia originated from or how Huff was derisive towards the Bombers for going after free agents:

I packed my Canadian Mafia tshirt for this coming weekend.... if it is, indeed, the end of the road for The Trinity after this post-season, they'll be fondly remembered. It's been a hell of a run. 

17 hours ago, Noeller said:

this... if the ownership put money into the product, maybe the fans would come back and give him a reason to be optimistic....? Definite chicken and egg scenario.

The Stamps certainly have a massive opportunity to gain some ground back if they can convince Edward to open up the wallet prior to Jan. They have a million dollars off the books through 6 gaming this year and that likely relates to a good 500-600k of open cap space. If Dicky is a busy boy he can pay a crap load of players next year on this year's books. Huff will need to convince him I am sure.