Nothing-at-stake Saturday: Birds v Antlers, Rouge et Noir vs Boats

johnzo

21 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Weird. We were told how they played us a few games back, i.e., starting Dukes, putting their high school qb in at a critical point, resting other starters normal cuz you know preseason.

Crock of ****. 

What? People need to get it that they rested Kelly so he wouldn't get hurt against the Bombers/Duke would get some quality reps. That's it. There was no hiding anything. They didn't rest him this weekend because it was a home game and they need butts in seats and to continue winning there. 

I don't get the sour grapes?

It's still **** the argos, it's still 1 and done in the playoffs for them. 

14 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

What? People need to get it that they rested Kelly so he wouldn't get hurt against the Bombers/Duke would get some quality reps. That's it. There was no hiding anything. They didn't rest him this weekend because it was a home game and they need butts in seats and to continue winning there. 

I don't get the sour grapes?

It's still **** the argos, it's still 1 and done in the playoffs for them. 

why would he all of a sudden get hurt against the Bombers tho....and not other teams?....that makes no sense

10 minutes ago, Booch said:

why would he all of a sudden get hurt against the Bombers tho....and not other teams?....that makes no sense

It was just risk management imo. They need him playing home games. There is for sure the same amount of chance to get hurt at home, but that's a risk they were willing to take.

I still don't understand the bunched up panties around here for them doing that.

32 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

It was just risk management imo. They need him playing home games. There is for sure the same amount of chance to get hurt at home, but that's a risk they were willing to take.

I still don't understand the bunched up panties around here for them doing that.

Bunched up panties? Weird statement to throw out at Bomber fans. I'm not losing any sleep over it. It's all good. I'm just calling bullshit on their part. You don't think so, you don't understand taking a different viewpoint than what an Argoblow fan and their coaching staff is selling fair enough, I disagree. That doesn't make it sour grapes. It makes it a sports site with competing viewpoints.

This is a Bomber site, not a defend the Argo's, suck all the fun out of everything can't we all just get along site.

21 hours ago, bluto said:

If you watched the game, you saw the defence change completely in the 2nd half. They came out, attacked and got 7 Sacks. I guess being behind at half-time at home lit a fire under them.

And if anything, it disproves the common "you just can't turn it on and off" theory that was bandied about.

Whatever, your team record and Kelly's success is as much a result of the league giving you an incredibly soft schedule as it is from being worthy of it. You are about to find out that a season devoid of adversity tends to lead to lacklustre results in the playoffs. 

Edited by GCn20

29 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Bunched up panties? Weird statement to throw out at Bomber fans. I'm not losing any sleep over it. It's all good. I'm just calling bullshit on their part. You don't think so, you don't understand taking a different viewpoint than what an Argoblow fan and their coaching staff is selling fair enough, I disagree. That doesn't make it sour grapes. It makes it a sports site with competing viewpoints.

This is a Bomber site, not a defend the Argo's, suck all the fun out of everything can't we all just get along site.

I didn't say people weren't allowed to have different viewpoints. I'm saying I don't understand people getting worked up about it in the first place.  It's bullshit sure....but who ******* cares? lol. 
Where did I defend the argos? Is me saying **** the argos defending them? lol.

8 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I didn't say people weren't allowed to have different viewpoints. I'm saying I don't understand people getting worked up about it in the first place.  It's bullshit sure....but who ******* cares? lol. 
Where did I defend the argos? Is me saying **** the argos defending them? lol.

All good. :)

2 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

I think it will be one of the better coaching jobs if Dinnwiddie can keep his guys focused and they come out on Nov 11th and win. It's pretty unprecedented having no must-win games for almost 2 months then expect them to flip the switch on.

But still winning them anyway, Yeah, RD should be getting lots of credit and the people praying for an Argo choke job on the 11th might think twice.

1 hour ago, bluto said:

But still winning them anyway, Yeah, RD should be getting lots of credit and the people praying for an Argo choke job on the 11th might think twice.

It has nothing really to do about the specific game on the 11th, more about feeling satisfied when the Argo's lose no matter the game (sometimes even if their win benefits us).

Their W/L record of 0-18 is always the unrealistic goal of an Argo disliker. 

7 hours ago, MOBomberFan said:

Hall has long been about keeping the play infront of the DBs and getting pressure with the DL. Mix in the occasional telegraphed LB or safety blitz. It has worked very well when our DL was consistently disrupting plays and forcing rushed passes. Now, with inconsistent pressure QBs have time to find receivers in the soft spots making it look like pitch and catch at times (far too often really).

I suspect sometimes that the telegraphed blitzes are an attempt to 'establish to pass rush' so to speak, so that when we show blitz but instead are dropping back into coverage the QB is much more likely to spot the blitz and bite, thinking a spot on the field is going to be open? I don't know. Maybe it's just about keeping it simple.

Most are run blitzes.

Hall gives the DB lots of leeway in terms of their assignments and how they want to complete them RE cushion.  We've had far more aggressive groups of DBs in the past.  That's a big difference this year we are not making any plays on the ball unless they are arm punts.

39 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

I've been saying that for a long time, but you know, he's a nice guy and he likes football, and he bought someone a beer once...

On top of that and depending on the specific person, I find it a quite a challenge when talking football with someone not being influenced on how they approach other non football issues/topics.

Being smart in football doesn't mean you're smart in other areas. ie., we all can be brilliant in certain topics but completely ignorant in another topics.

Sometimes it's really hard not to be influenced by that in how we perceive each other.

On 2023-10-15 at 8:41 PM, JuranBoldenRules said:

The Argos were certainly dealt an amazing hand schedule-wise.  There's 3 contending teams in the league including them.  They had two games in that bracket, home vs BC, here late September when it already didn't matter for them.  Didn't play great in Alberta but hardly had to play the West.

Guess luckily for them they won't have leave the (extended) GTA once they get out of Sask.

Sure, but the key here is- they didn't lose to **** tier teams, we did. We took care of business when we needed to, but dropped a few duces on the 890 thread count sheets... 

We beat Hamilton and the ALLCAPS (with their 3rt stringers first ever start, I will add) and we would be looking at 16 and 2. 

On 2023-10-16 at 8:56 AM, Booch said:

They were scared of us, plain and simple. A loss to us may have snowballed on them and RD did not want to take that chance.

4 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Sure, but the key here is- they didn't lose to **** tier teams, we did. We took care of business when we needed to, but dropped a few duces on the 890 thread count sheets... 

We beat Hamilton and the ALLCAPS (with their 3rt stringers first ever start, I will add) and we would be looking at 16 and 2. 

True. but I'd rather we lose a couple games where we checked out mentally than lose games we played our best and were still out gunned. The first is much easier to fix.

6 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

They were scared of us, plain and simple. A loss to us may have snowballed on them and RD did not want to take that chance.

True. but I'd rather we lose a couple games where we checked out mentally than lose games we played our best and were still out gunned. The first is much easier to fix.

Wait... this is acceptable now? Someone was trying to impress upon me how foolish it was and how you can't turn it back on afterward...

Edited by bluto

2 minutes ago, bluto said:

Wait... this is acceptable now? Someone was trying to impress upon me how foolish it was and how you can't turn it back on afterward...

Who said it is acceptable? IF it happens in the playoffs you are one and done. What I said is that it is fixable if it crops up in the regular season like it has with us. Come playoffs if we repeat it, it will be tough to go to the Grey Cup. Same as for you guys. No meaningful football for 2 months. If you don't come in playing your best football your team is not good enough to survive that either.

Edited by GCn20

2 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Was it the same person?

Nope. No big deal. Honestly, we'll see in a few weeks if resting players and going vanilla hurts us. But it'll be interesting to see what comes of it since there are a few folks hereabouts who are on the record that you can't do it and that the Argos will be bounced on Remembrance Day. Time will tell.

20 minutes ago, bluto said:

Nope. No big deal. Honestly, we'll see in a few weeks if resting players and going vanilla hurts us. But it'll be interesting to see what comes of it since there are a few folks hereabouts who are on the record that you can't do it and that the Argos will be bounced on Remembrance Day. Time will tell.

The beauty of football.

This year, the West is the weaker division. Montreal & Hamilton have more wins than Regina and Calgary. Ottawa & Edmonton have the same number of wins as each other. 

I'd like the CFL to go back to every team playing every other team twice with the 2 extra games played against your own division. 

4 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

This year, the West is the weaker division. Montreal & Hamilton have more wins than Regina and Calgary. Ottawa & Edmonton have the same number of wins as each other. 

I'd like the CFL to go back to every team playing every other team twice with the 2 extra games played against your own division. 

However bc and winnipeg at the top is more difficult than Toronto and BLM/faj. So the semi final might be more difficult in the east... but the final should be way tougher in the West 

7 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

And the East v West matches went to the East as well.

Rare event in recent seasons.