Around The NHL 2023-24

5 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Yeah Tkachuk is the same guy who was admittedly laughing his ass off when his teammate took a slapper into an empty net not too long ago.  He has zero room to be upset about something like this.

That's exactly it. Tkachuk had a phenomenal game and I get why the situation pissed him off but it's a comical overreaction ESPECIALLY given the previous incident.

Excerpt taken from a story from the Hockey Writers (Kings: What’s Behind Pierre-Luc Dubois’ Struggles This Season?) by Michael Ostrower:

Finding a Groove

A challenge in being on three teams in four seasons is finding chemistry with linemates. He has had to learn three different systems while having multiple head coaches who put him in dozens of different line combinations. This has especially been a challenge this season for the Kings, as he has had two head coaches and has yet to play in any line combination that has spent over 165 minutes together.

So far this season, Dubois has spent 164.4 minutes with Kevin Fiala and Alex Laferriere, 129.8 with Laferriere and Arthur Kaliyev, and 107.1 with Laferriere and Carl Grundstrom. To look at those numbers and think Dubois is entirely to blame for his inconsistency is foolish, as it is impossible to get accustomed to a new city, facility, team, and system when you have inconsistent linemates and coaching. He has spent time across the lineup, too, playing as a first-line scorer and a third-line checker, and every role in between. He is a dominant offensive force when utilized correctly, it is just time for his head coach to see that.

I'm pretty confident this article was actually written by PLD.

Phone call to the Hockey Writers: Hi, I'd like to speak to Michael Ostrower.

HW: I'm sorry, who?

Caller: Michael Ostrower?

HW: Nope, no one here by that name.

Doubt it. Torts isn’t the issue there. Those guys over achieved plus lost their starter Carter Hart for well, we all know why now. 

Philly just not good enough. Them even having a shot a while ago, It’s a bigger surprise than the jets being a top 4 team in the west. 

Edited by Goalie

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/sources-nhl-drafting-2024-25-schedule-version-with-coyotes-relocated-to-salt-lake-city?fbclid=IwAR25lGghY1asBj4uNeWp8LZHxVEwL6PZ2LPOT0mmCVSpjF21VE69Wjp5b9A

Tough year for coyotes first Coyote vs Acme gets shelved and now this

I hope they do call them the roadrunners just for making this gif relevant

road-runner-wile-e-coyote-dfsdwdgp06j515

Edited by iHeart

19 hours ago, iHeart said:

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/sources-nhl-drafting-2024-25-schedule-version-with-coyotes-relocated-to-salt-lake-city?fbclid=IwAR25lGghY1asBj4uNeWp8LZHxVEwL6PZ2LPOT0mmCVSpjF21VE69Wjp5b9A

Tough year for coyotes first Coyote vs Acme gets shelved and now this

I hope they do call them the roadrunners just for making this gif relevant

road-runner-wile-e-coyote-dfsdwdgp06j515

I said this months ago. 

why would they call them roadrunners when none exist in Utah? 

Utah Polygamists more likely than Roadrunners. 

Edited by Goalie

34 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Well considering roadrunners is the name of an ahl team 

what is this. 1980s Saturday morning cartoons? 

Because team names don't ever get re-used by other leagues? The Tuscon Roadrunners are the Coyotes farm team so if they did rename them to that, it'd be following a bit of an NHL/AHL pattern.  Can you guess the parent club for these AHL teams:

Abbotsford Canucks

Belleville Senators

Bridgeport Islanders

Iowa Wild

Providence Bruins

Texas Stars

Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins

I don't think the league is too concerned about the name being too cartoony, as long as they make money.  I mean they allowed a team to be called the Mighty Ducks and use this as a logo.

Ducks1-532x480.gif

Edited by bigg jay

Taken from the world wide web:

'Coyotes can out-pace roadrunners substantially, clocking up to ~43 miles per hour, compared to the roadrunners ~20 miles per hour.'

Grew up on bugs bunny roadrunner hour. Childhood all a farce.

Leafs suck (just to ensure I'm keeping on point in this thread). 

14 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Unlike the thriving jazz culture in Salt Lake City or Provo. 

Yup, the Jazz moved from New Orleans to Utah but kept the name.  It happens every now and then... the Lakers moved from Minnesota (land of 10 000 lakes) to L.A. (home of a whopping 6 natural lakes) but kept the name.

Some times keeping the name is appropriate. The Atlanta Flames were named after the Civil War burning of Atlanta but the name still works in Calgary because they are a tire fire franchise. 

3 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Yup, the Jazz moved from New Orleans to Utah but kept the name.  It happens every now and then... the Lakers moved from Minnesota (land of 10 000 lakes) to L.A. (home of a whopping 6 natural lakes) but kept the name.

Some times keeping the name is appropriate. The Atlanta Flames were named after the Civil War burning of Atlanta but the name still works in Calgary because they are a tire fire franchise. 

the Baseketball scene where they reference all the teams moving is so great....