Bombers vs Chuck Wagons early talk

Nolby

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

Walters brings guys in....Osh has input as to the type they want...but roster and PR is soley at Osh's feet....We had some ends in camp....Wlaters and the scouts did their part...Osh got rid of em all...and figured didnt need one on PR to cover for any injuries....and we are where we are...in game 2

It could be Sterling refused a PR spot and would rather focus on one of the new leagues down south, a GF or family, no way to  know.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Also, from Irving .....

"Bombers put defensive end Jackson Jeffcoat on the 6-game injured list and activate American DT Miles Fox for Fridays Gand in Sask.  Also on 6-game injured are Mike Miller, Winston Rose, Jamal Parker Thiadric Hansen and Kyrie Wilson."

Jesus H Christ

Just now, Fatty Liver said:

It could be Sterling refused a PR spot and would rather focus on one of the new leagues down south, a GF or family, no way to  know.

Osh said that nobody declined a PR spot....so that theory just waved Bye Bye

At any rate, we need a few DEs. I keep saying Lemon due to his experience and productivity but really we just need a few. Same thing with Nationals who can play teams. Heck, there must be a national fullback out there who could play teams for us and replace Jackson. Using his spot on a DE or LB would be helpful.

10 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Sometimes the pieces don't arrive in the right order, Fox may be the DT they were looking for to replace Sayles with in the off-season.  Pretty obvious O'Shea thinks he's a better prospect than Caleb Thomas, we shall see.

Fox should be pretty cagey and elusive.....earmarks of a great rb.....oh wait we're looking for a dt.... heh heh.............I hope he can fill the bill...He definitely has some CFL experience so that would have been enough to drop Thomas BUT Fox better show us something other than getting into the 'hen house'.....

As for the game itself....once Zack gets tired of punishing those buggers....I'd like to see Pigrome get in for a few series....This game could be ripe for the little guy to show his stuff

Edited by Stickem

20 hours ago, Noeller said:
Taylor Shire

@Taylor_Shire
·
30m
While it hasn’t been confirmed by the team, all signs point to backup Mason Fine to get the start at QB on Friday for the #Riders against the #Bombers. #CFL https://leaderpost.com/sports/football/cfl/saskatchewan-roughriders/sports-riders-notebook-2 via @leaderpost

No matter what, he will always be Fine.

1 hour ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Jesus H Christ

I am officially done with Jeffcoat. He may be a good guy but ..........

11 minutes ago, ddanger said:

Hoping that the roster stuff doesn't bite us in the backside...whole thing is playing into the " oldest team in the league" discussion. I'm sure Walters and Osh have a plan, as scary as it may be for us fans.

No doubt they have a plan, I just don’t really think it’s a very good one.

from the over-all appearance....I don't think they do have a plan or even considered the issue at hand...Why they so happy to stuff a PR with globals....and guys who wont see the light of day on the Oline...unless 4 starters go out with season enders, and then are just the extra guy, yet ignore the fact we have 30 somethings on defence in key areas...one of whom cant stay healthy, and have not really solved/solidified the DT spot to me sounds like a pretty sappy plan....and or a huge over sight....

Edited by Booch

5 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Jeffcoat confirmed to be out so that's a very thin DL.  Bennett is the only back-up DE and Schmekel and Fox backing up at DT.  

Yes but they use a 30 front and walker at edge for a hand full of plays. It’s not as thin as it seems. At least we have one more body at dl. Jackson can play de some too. 

5 hours ago, Noeller said:

Mike Miller to the 6 game. Jake listed as a back up OL as well as DT. Schoen and Oliveira good enough to go.... As per DT.

Jake is always the oh crap dl that moves to ol in a pinch. 

5 hours ago, GCJenks said:

What would be the thought of Thomas changing jerseys and backing up the OL? 6 or 7 guys there isn't enough?

when needed they change numbers in game. It’s happened twice before. 

5 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Fox as the Designated American on D, so he can rotate with the other Americans and take 23 snaps in place of Schemekel. I like this. Less excited by using a DA spot on Jackson.

We need another DE ASAP and if Miller is on the 6, we need a National STer.

Yeah excited to see fox. 
 I wish Jackson got real de reps in pre season. I don’t mind carrying him as a da to play teams and short yardage plus heavy set but I’d love to see some defensive versatility too. 

1 hour ago, voodoochylde said:

Anyone starting to think their plan may have been banking on Kongbo actually signing back here and not in BC as he did initially?

That and or Hansen being healthy. If he was 100 this wouldn’t be an issue. 

1 hour ago, Mike said:

No doubt they have a plan, I just don’t really think it’s a very good one.

Plan is no one get hurt. 

22 minutes ago, Booch said:

from the over-all appearance....I don't think they do have a plan or even considered the issue at hand...Why they so happy to stull a PR with globals....and guys who wont see the light of day on the Oline...unless 4 starters go out with season enders, and then are just the extra guy, yet ignore the fact we have 30 somethings on defence in key areas...one of whom cant stay healthy, and have not really solved/solidified the DT spot to me sounds like a pretty sappy plan....and or a huge over sight....

wonder if cap space is real tight and the globals are just dirt cheap. Keeping a couple of these guys around while we cut blue chip imp prospects in camp is real confounding. 

5 hours ago, Noeller said:

Definitely a bit concerned about our ST coverage with Miller out and Briggs admitting that the punt block was his fault because normally Miller is in charge and he didn't get everyone ready. Hopefully all that is cleaned up...

That's where we are stupid thin in my opinion.

There are a bunch of American cuts floating around to the point where if we need a body we can slam one in to be adequate, but on the Canadian side we've become very very thin.  And not for starters, for the last third of the roster guys.

5 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I understand the requirement for an eligible jersey number, I have just never seen it declared on a roster before. More so, we are dressing 7 O-Line when the main group of 5 plays every down with a 6th that rotates for different sets and only 7 D-Line for a unit of 4 that rotates in and out just about every play/series. Really just questioned the roster more than anything, I understand the mechanics.

5 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

I understand the requirement for an eligible jersey number, I have just never seen it declared on a roster before

That part is new, as DT mentioned this morning. Not sure if a new league requirement or what, but can't ever remember them doing that before...

13 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

I understand the requirement for an eligible jersey number, I have just never seen it declared on a roster before. More so, we are dressing 7 O-Line when the main group of 5 plays every down with a 6th that rotates for different sets and only 7 D-Line for a unit of 4 that rotates in and out just about every play/series. Really just questioned the roster more than anything, I understand the mechanics.

yeah...Happens all the time...Sayles had to slap on a 59 and play against us last week...but that was after a guy got hurt, and then another got hurt....we are carrying 2 back-ups so seems odd that they made a note of that on the depth chart....especially when you would think that 7th guy would go in first...just seems odd

25 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Yes but they use a 30 front and walker at edge for a hand full of plays. It’s not as thin as it seems. At least we have one more body at dl. Jackson can play de some too. 

Yeah excited to see fox. 
 I wish Jackson got real de reps in pre season. I don’t mind carrying him as a da to play teams and short yardage plus heavy set but I’d love to see some defensive versatility too. 

That and or Hansen being healthy. If he was 100 this wouldn’t be an issue. 

Plan is no one get hurt. 

wonder if cap space is real tight and the globals are just dirt cheap. Keeping a couple of these guys around while we cut blue chip imp prospects in camp is real confounding. 

yeah we have used a big guy off the edge before...no issues with that, and Fox is intriguing and going to help...he's not a raw rookie and from what I recall of him, is pretty good in the middle, and quicker than most guys with his size and bruteness

Jackson...Yeah I would like to see him get some defensive reps in some kind of rotation...see what he has, and never know...some guys just shine when lights are on....But is a waste to use him as a DI soly for FB role, and some special team reps...surely we can utilize a canadian for that, and make better use of the DI spot

Cap space for the PR is minimum right across the board for whomever you put on it regardless where they from...Now you can pay guys more...if you choose but if anything have to meet the minimum....so no savings there

Hansen back would help out a ton...tho he would have to replace an american....wherein if stubborn butt would declare a Natonilzed one on defense...we could goback to Cheetah sets when Jeffcoat is available...or whomever may replace him.....I think doing it with Bennett right now would be a waste of time, as he hasnt shown anything yet....now is it he just adjusting to the CFL Pro game...and will improve...or is it due to being a 25..26 yr old playing against 18 to 22 yrs for the most part in College up here...which to me was a questionable enough reason to wait on him

With the DE position on a thread maybe it's time to give the Lemonater a call....Get him on a 1 yr. deal and we can give him a shot at a Cup as an incentive....Even if JJ returns to the line-up.....how long does he last ???....We need more reliability at the position and it looks like Jeffcoat is winding down

2 hours ago, Booch said:

yeah...Happens all the time...Sayles had to slap on a 59 and play against us last week...but that was after a guy got hurt, and then another got hurt....we are carrying 2 back-ups so seems odd that they made a note of that on the depth chart....especially when you would think that 7th guy would go in first...just seems odd

yeah we have used a big guy off the edge before...no issues with that, and Fox is intriguing and going to help...he's not a raw rookie and from what I recall of him, is pretty good in the middle, and quicker than most guys with his size and bruteness

Jackson...Yeah I would like to see him get some defensive reps in some kind of rotation...see what he has, and never know...some guys just shine when lights are on....But is a waste to use him as a DI soly for FB role, and some special team reps...surely we can utilize a canadian for that, and make better use of the DI spot

Cap space for the PR is minimum right across the board for whomever you put on it regardless where they from...Now you can pay guys more...if you choose but if anything have to meet the minimum....so no savings there

Hansen back would help out a ton...tho he would have to replace an american....wherein if stubborn butt would declare a Natonilzed one on defense...we could goback to Cheetah sets when Jeffcoat is available...or whomever may replace him.....I think doing it with Bennett right now would be a waste of time, as he hasnt shown anything yet....now is it he just adjusting to the CFL Pro game...and will improve...or is it due to being a 25..26 yr old playing against 18 to 22 yrs for the most part in College up here...which to me was a questionable enough reason to wait on him

normally I’d agree but historically we’ve been soo bad at using the di, least Jackson take snaps and does stuff lol  my expectations for roster management is low.

Hansen could slide in for maruo though as the second global. 

I wish we’d shop around for a wil. That’s the biggest waste on our active roster