Back 2 Back Losers @ Back 2 Back Champs - Pre-Game Thread

Noeller

Houston gave up a couple of plays his first game - in his most meaningful time in terms of defensive snaps played - but they were the kind of plays where he was right there and just missed the play on perfect passes.

Nothing like the blown coverages we've seen these first two games.

20 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

He was the guy who moved his family here after his kid took a stray bullet right?

Yes.  I don't think they stayed up here in the off-season but the family was here during the season last year after the shooting.  

33 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Why is Dobson continually listed as a healthy scratch in practice when it also says he’s a full participant?

Because he's been a healthy scratch two weeks in a row. If you scratch him, you have to the other teams know why. 

Same thing with Gray until they left him on the roster. 

If Dobson plays this week, someone else will be the healthy scratch and they'll be on the list. 

Edited by JCon

13 hours ago, Goalie said:

How many more games you give Gray? Dobson I think might be ready. Should put Gray in Hardricks spot. Dude seems like a tackle 

I’m pretty sure at this point that couture won’t play this week which means Dobson draws in. I would start gray again just for consistency with kola at c. But on short yardage I’d move gray outside and put Dobson at rg. 
 The only way I’d go double switch and have Dobson start at guard is if we were gonna run a lot of 6 man heavy fronts. 

long term or even medium term I think gray is a rt though.

Maybe the ol needs a bit of shaking up. Their performance hasn’t been this poor since before bond came into the roster and hardrick moved to t. 

13 hours ago, Goalie said:

How many more games you give Gray? Dobson I think might be ready. Should put Gray in Hardricks spot. Dude seems like a tackle 

Injuries may accelerate the timetable - but if they wont even make Dobson the 6th when all is even, do we think they want him starting yet?

34 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Injuries may accelerate the timetable - but if they wont even make Dobson the 6th when all is even, do we think they want him starting yet?

Has it ever been completely even?  Gray has an edge in that he's been with the team for a couple seasons so he's got familiarity & continuity with the coaches and players.  That's a temporary advantage though and if his on-field performance isn't good enough, it won't matter at all.

man...Gray is doing just fine.....people here are clamoring for something that isn't even an issue....Dobson needs time to learn the CFL and get acclimated....Gray would easily start on a lot of teams right now...I seen Hardrick and Couture right wiff on several plays this yr and nobody is saying replace them....and the run game lack of production has nothing to do with that side of the O-line...it's from minimal rush attempts and a very vanilla and plain scheme...revisit this in 5 games and if we cant run the ball and ZC is getting pounded I am sure u will see some tweeks

40 minutes ago, JCon said:

I think Dobson was snapping earlier this week, right? 

I would say that they'll draw Dobson as the 6th as soon as they are comfortable with someone behind Couture snapping. 

He was yes. He played some c in college last year too. 

36 minutes ago, Booch said:

man...Gray is doing just fine.....people here are clamoring for something that isn't even an issue....Dobson needs time to learn the CFL and get acclimated....Gray would easily start on a lot of teams right now...I seen Hardrick and Couture right wiff on several plays this yr and nobody is saying replace them....and the run game lack of production has nothing to do with that side of the O-line...it's from minimal rush attempts and a very vanilla and plain scheme...revisit this in 5 games and if we cant run the ball and ZC is getting pounded I am sure u will see some tweeks

gray is alright in pass pro. I don’t fault him for the holdings really. But he isn’t ok in run pro. He’s frequently been collapsed. Especially on the heavy set. 

you are right though that it’s not a one man issue by any means. And a switch would not it self cure our issues. The whole ol has struggled and we haven’t done a good job of forcing the defense to stay home with jet motion etc like in past years. Or stretched the field side line to side line with screens and the 15-20 yard out. 

starting on other teams doesn’t mean much. A lot of teams have shoddy ols but we are more reliant on ol play than any other. Right now almost every team has an ol that would take a job on the starting line here. 

if this is still a thing in 5 games we might be on qb2, and rb 3. Both backs have been taking a royal pounding. 

non expert opinion.....

I thought gray played well second half the other day. 

one player first half kept beating him with a quick move, inside I think, but that stopped happening, so gray figured it out.

guy is huge, need to let him flatten some people on running plays.  also thought he looked quite fast for a big man.

and with o line changes, doesnt it take them a while to get to adjust ?

Edited by Mark F