Back 2 Back Losers @ Back 2 Back Champs - Pre-Game Thread

Noeller

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

bout as vanilla and pedestrian as I have ever seen...and agreed....minimal multiple sets...misdirection...sweeps...play action....and Bailey and Demski have seen next to no targets so far....obviously they cooking up something

I don’t think they want to tip their hat so early, especially since the majority of the starters didn’t get any reps in during the pre season, lots of timing issues and the guys getting back into their grove after the first two weeks. No doubt in my mind you’ll see an expanded  playbook later into the season. 

41 minutes ago, Booch said:

bout as vanilla and pedestrian as I have ever seen...and agreed....minimal multiple sets...misdirection...sweeps...play action....and Bailey and Demski have seen next to no targets so far....obviously they cooking up something

It’s really strange. Idk why we wouldn’t be showing looks now and setting up twists on those looks later.  Buck has shown flashes of great creativity and individual game planning. He should be able to keep defenses off balance with out sacrificing regular season games quality. 

It’s not even vanilla. It’s gruel. Vanillas got too much flavour for what we’ve been running. 

39 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

I don’t think they want to tip their hat so early, especially since the majority of the starters didn’t get any reps in during the pre season, lots of timing issues and the guys getting back into their grove after the first two weeks. No doubt in my mind you’ll see an expanded  playbook later into the season. 

thing is a lot of the stuff we’ve been doing for years. Jet motion passing schemes demski in as rb screens etc. feels almost like plop out thinking him self. 

1 hour ago, Mark F said:

non expert opinion.....

I thought gray played well second half the other day. 

one player first half kept beating him with a quick move, inside I think, but that stopped happening, so gray figured it out.

guy is huge, need to let him flatten some people on running plays.  also thought he looked quite fast for a big man.

and with o line changes, doesnt it take them a while to get to adjust ?

Gray isn’t huge he’s a modern athletic ol. Especially in the tackle mold. Some tall guys really make it work in side but generally it’s shorter heavier guys that succeed inside. Being 6’6 isn’t really an advantage at guard. 

for comparison desjarlais is 6’2 320 and gray is 6’6 300. Bond was 6’7 but was also 360lbs. I have no doubt a long tall athletic guard can work and that some guys will have and are. But it’s harder for sure. 

It really depends. Some times it does especially going from a bad line to a good consistent line. When we put in bond and moved hardrick to tackle it didn’t take time to gel. Moving on from goosen suhk bond etc wasn’t slow. 

33 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Gray isn’t huge he’s a modern athletic ol. Especially in the tackle mold. Some tall guys really make it work in side but generally it’s shorter heavier guys that succeed inside. Being 6’6 isn’t really an advantage at guard. 

for comparison desjarlais is 6’2 320 and gray is 6’6 300. Bond was 6’7 but was also 360lbs. I have no doubt a long tall athletic guard can work and that some guys will have and are. But it’s harder for sure. 

It really depends. Some times it does especially going from a bad line to a good consistent line. When we put in bond and moved hardrick to tackle it didn’t take time to gel. Moving on from goosen suhk bond etc wasn’t slow. 

Yeh Gray's size really suits Tackle much better than Guard.  Won't happen as long as Bryant and Yoshi are around though

27 minutes ago, Booch said:

Gray is a big boy....doesnt carry a lot of the extra weight some olineman do...but to make up for that and being hard to move, and able to move things is his power lifter background....he knows how to be stout and powerfull..

Yeah I’m not saying he’s small, he’s the modern athletic style of linemen. He’s not a guy who will drop 60 lbs after football. 
 Height is often looked at as a disadvantage in power lifting too. 

I would much prefer to see his body type and athletic make up become the standard in linemen. And I think it will. But it will take longer on the inside positions. A lower center of gravity and 30 extra lbs is just tough to replace. 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

May be an image of text that says 'w ANKLE DNP| QUESTIC QUESTIONABLE ARM DNP OUT REPORT LIAM DOBSON HEALTHY SCRATCH FULL QUESTIONABLE MIKE MILLER MICHAEL COUTURE JACKSON JEFFCOAT ANKLE LIMITED QUESTIONABLE QUESTI MALIK CLEMENTS WINSTON ROSE JERMARCUS HARDRICK KNEE LIMITED QUESTIONABLE WEDNESDAY, JUNE 22, 2022 KNEE FULL QUESTIONABLE FOOT LIMITED QUESTIONABLE ELITE SPORTS INJURY'

Man sucks couture is out. I hope kola does well at c. People often think LTs get qbs killed. But with modern pass rush and the prominence of shot gun and pistol it’s centers that get timed and toss high snaps that kill qbs. 
 I’m hopeful he played well enough last game and he’s been around long enough. Excited to see Dobson as the 6th on goal line sets. 

we shall see how our depth stacks up for the next bit....and I kind of like it early in the season to be honest, and let the boys heal up

Couture to the 6 sucks....but better now than in late sept.....Houston I think will be just fine.

Holm coming on tho is a head scratcher....nothing about him to me says useable pro...we had better options.....same with that full back.....Oshea always has some odd roster moves, and guys brought on who dont see field and do minimal ST work...if I have one knock on him it's roster manouvering

Edited by Booch