2021/22 - CFL Offseason - Non-Back-to-Back Grey Cup Champion Thread

JCon

22 hours ago, Jesse said:

I'm not sure I get your reasoning... why would they ever show up for preseason if they could just hold out then? Why does the letter matter?

They don't show up then they don't play. They don't play well, there's always stocking shelves at Walgreen's or giving people advice how to build fences at Rona. The young players think football will last forever or they'll never get hurt. So, for them balling out during the season & training in the off season is the only thing the care about. The vets who have been around for awhile know howi mportant football can be in setting up their post football careers & have done so. Most of them can walk away from the game if they had to. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

They don't show up then they don't play. They don't play well, there's always stocking shelves at Walgreen's or giving people advice how to build fences at Rona. The young players think football will last forever or they'll never get hurt. So, for them balling out during the season & training in the off season is the only thing the care about. The vets who have been around for awhile know howi mportant football can be in setting up their post football careers & have done so. Most of them can walk away from the game if they had to. 

A little disingenuous to assume these people are going be stocking shelves. A lot of people have a plan B after football including degrees and side ventures. Most of the players coming to the CFL know this is their last chance at “professional” football it really rubs me the wrong way when people refer to these people as Walmart greeters. 

4 hours ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

A little disingenuous to assume these people are going be stocking shelves. A lot of people have a plan B after football including degrees and side ventures. Most of the players coming to the CFL know this is their last chance at “professional” football it really rubs me the wrong way when people refer to these people as Walmart greeters. 

Well, disingenuos or not, a lot of young players don't really work in any career relying on their football salary to pay the bills. Or work part time somewhere.

Before Kurt Warner became rich & famous in the NFL he was playing in the Arena Football League & stocking shelves at night at a supermarket in Iowa. The guy was a college grad so why was he just scraping by as a father & husband? Probably so he'd be free to pursue his football dreams if he got a call. A lot of players are in the same boat. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

11 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

To blame the players in this is ******* ridiculous 

How so. Cuz you like them? They want more money. The CFL ain't about more money tho. 

The players are the ones striking so yeah its kinda their fault in reality. 

U blaming the owners who lose money every year and even had a season canceled not long ago? Wake up. It's the CFL, I'll bet your opinion changes quickly if you owned a team losing money 

The players come and go, they don't give a **** about you, they just want $$$. And that means you and me will end up paying more to go watch something I can watch for basically free from home. 

Edited by Goalie

11 minutes ago, Goalie said:

How so. Cuz you like them? They want more money. The CFL ain't about more money tho. 

U blaming the owners who lose money every year and even had a season canceled not long ago? Wake up. It's the CFL, I'll bet your opinion changes quickly if you owned a team losing money 

The players come and go, they don't give a **** about you, they just want $$$. And that means you and me will end up paying more to go watch something I can watch for basically free from home. 

The teams want revenue sharing. The players are fine with that. The players want transparency on the finances. Suddenly, the owners are quiet. 

42 minutes ago, JCon said:

The teams want revenue sharing. The players are fine with that. The players want transparency on the finances. Suddenly, the owners are quiet. 

The teams don't want revenue sharing. The players do. The teams offered to share specific parts of the revenue. The players want them to share all parts of revenue and not to share any of losses. Suddenly we're watching a strike.

both sides are to blame...it's ridiculous to think otherwise. The owners, however, are the ones who walked away from the table when the players were willing to still talk. Thankfully, according to Naylor reports, there appears to have been a much needed "cooling off period", and the arbitrator was able to get them to communicate yesterday. No word yet on whether they're officially "back to the table" or not. Everyone still seems to think they'll have a MoU ironed out by the end of the week.

31 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

The teams don't want revenue sharing. The players do. The teams offered to share specific parts of the revenue. The players want them to share all parts of revenue and not to share any of losses. Suddenly we're watching a strike.

I think it's more that they're not 'opening the books' and showing what the revenue is. I'm sure agreements can be made about what is in and out of bounds, but you need to have an idea of the total pot to come to that understanding.

The CFL as a whole makes money. Covid years aside - and the deal on the table doesn't include any increases for this current year as a result of that - what losses are you referring to?

3 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I think it's more that they're not 'opening the books' and showing what the revenue is. I'm sure agreements can be made about what is in and out of bounds, but you need to have an idea of the total pot to come to that understanding.

The CFL as a whole makes money. Covid years aside - and the deal on the table doesn't include any increases for this current year as a result of that - what losses are you referring to?

This.  "Creative Accounting" can and does happen (the Washington Commanders latest scandal is a current example).  It's easy to see why the players would want open books.

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

Edmonton lost more than a million bucks. Toronto and Montreal are being supported by the league. My guess is that Winnipeg and Regina made money while the rest lost or barely made any.

The CFL isn't going to share the gross revenue that a couple of teams make with the players before they cover the losses of the other teams. Net revenue, even CFL wide, isn't a big number. In fact, it might be a negative number these days.

The league has offered to share a specific amount of revenue. That's the number they're willing to share. It's none of the players business how much each team makes or doesn't make.

30 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

It's none of the players business how much each team makes or doesn't make

Going to disagree with that statement. How much the league and teams make is 100% relevant to players because the players make the entertainment. If teams are making a pile of money why shouldn't players get their cut? Meanwhile if the leagueis losing money it is easier for player to accept not getting as much as they might want. 

Transparency is a good thing.

38 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Edmonton lost more than a million bucks. Toronto and Montreal are being supported by the league. My guess is that Winnipeg and Regina made money while the rest lost or barely made any.

The CFL isn't going to share the gross revenue that a couple of teams make with the players before they cover the losses of the other teams. Net revenue, even CFL wide, isn't a big number. In fact, it might be a negative number these days.

The league has offered to share a specific amount of revenue. That's the number they're willing to share. It's none of the players business how much each team makes or doesn't make.

Individual teams aren't negotiating here. The only relevant information is the league as a whole. And yes, the covid years sucked for all, but we're looking at the next 7 years, not the past two.

Revenue sharing is on the negotiating table and is literally, 100% the players business. Again, I don't think they need to address it from the perspective of individual teams, but the the leagues net revenue, expenses, and profit, absolutely. 

3 hours ago, Goalie said:

CFL is offering the players a 1.8% raise/year.

If they can promise me seat/concession/merch prices wont increase by more than that number each season, I'll be more than happy to support them.