2022 Off Season - Back 2 Back Champs Edition

Noeller

10 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Is there any reason Collaros shouldn’t be the highest paid player in the league?

Because there's are some overpaid qbs out there... doesn't mean Collaros needs to be overpaid too. Give the man a fair deal and it'll be done. I seriously doubt he is looking to be the highest paid player in the league.

10 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Is there any reason Collaros shouldn’t be the highest paid player in the league?

Because there's are some overpaid qbs out there... doesn't mean Collaros needs to be overpaid too. Give the man a fair deal and it'll be done. I seriously doubt he is looking to be the highest paid player in the league.

5 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

None that I can think of. Fans just want him to sign for less than he's worth so we can build a better team with the extra cash. 

“Less than he’s worth” is debatable.  No one’s trying to clip coupons for Collaros.  At what point does wanting to see a championship team stay together equal cheap?  All any one here has tried to point out is that it’s a 2-way street and both Zach and the team benefit from staying together at a reasonable (not necessarily cheap) deal.

This isn’t 2014 where Zach is turning down 70+ sacks and even more hits that Willy endured.

12 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Because there's are some overpaid qbs out there... doesn't mean Collaros needs to be overpaid too. Give the man a fair deal and it'll be done. I seriously doubt he is looking to be the highest paid player in the league

The idea that Collaros wants to be here because we are the best place for him and the idea that Collaros wants to old out for every dollar we are willing to give him are not mutually exclusive. We got half the posters arguing that Zach was damaged goods before we saved him and we have the best OL to prootect him. The other half saying that Zach needs to be the highest paid in the league. 

Both things can be true.

The fact is that QBs are (by far) the highest paid players and Zach is currently performing like the best QB in the league. The former mega-contracts of Reilly, Mitchell, and Harris have all been reworked or torn up completely. ZC will more than likely be the highest paid player in the league when all is said and done. 

51 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

What are you basing that on exactly?

The fact that I don't see him as being totally unreasonable. Does he want to get paid more? Yeah probably. Be one of the top paid qbs? Probably, but I don't see him being completely about the money. Like I said, give him a fair contract and everyone will be happy.

6 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

The fact that I don't see him as being totally unreasonable.

Putting aside that this statement is not at all a “fact” but just an opinion, why would the league MOP and back-to-back Grey Cup champion QB wanting or deserving to be the league’s top earner be totally unreasonable? Lots of wishful thinking around here that of course Collaros will do what’s best for the team and not him, and those wishes may come true, but it would be hard to walk away if say the RedBlacks or Argos offered him $550,000-575,000 and the Bombers offered $75,000-100,000 less. And he has all the leverage given who else is out there right now and who the Bombers have in the stable behind him. If it comes down to giving him an extra $50,000 to keep him or re-signing Brandon Alexander, I would happily wish Alexander well and see him go elsewhere. JMO. 

27 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Putting aside that this statement is not at all a “fact” but just an opinion, why would the league MOP and back-to-back Grey Cup champion QB wanting or deserving to be the league’s top earner be totally unreasonable? Lots of wishful thinking around here that of course Collaros will do what’s best for the team and not him, and those wishes may come true, but it would be hard to walk away if say the RedBlacks or Argos offered him $550,000-575,000 and the Bombers offered $75,000-100,000 less. And he has all the leverage given who else is out there right now and who the Bombers have in the stable behind him. If it comes down to giving him an extra $50,000 to keep him or re-signing Brandon Alexander, I would happily wish Alexander well and see him go elsewhere. JMO. 

No one is going to offer that much more for collaros than the Bombers will. Like I said, he will get a fair offer and everyone wi be happy. Walters is no dummy.  He isn't going to cheap out on a qb.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

No one is going to offer that much more for collaros than the Bombers will. Like I said, he will get a fair offer and everyone wi be happy. Walters is no dummy.  He isn't going to cheap out on a qb.

That's just your opinion.  Other teams would be foolish if they weren't interested in signing him.  

17 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

That's just your opinion.  Other teams would be foolish if they weren't interested in signing him.  

yeah but to what extent? Who in gods name is going to give him the Reilly kind of contract? Walters ain't gonna cheap out on a qb and other teams aren't going to spend that much on Collaros knowing his history. People like to have this doom and gloom attitude, but we are so far past that. These past few years should have shown that this is a new kind of organization. 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

I can see Ottawa and Toronto breaking the bank for him... Offering some insane million dollar contract that somehow fits under the cap...... But I really believe Collaros will re up. Just a matter of time. 

Not getting a million dollar offer

10 hours ago, Noeller said:

I can see Ottawa and Toronto breaking the bank for him... Offering some insane million dollar contract that somehow fits under the cap...... But I really believe Collaros will re up. Just a matter of time. 

Well apparently with shared revenues they can spend our bank account to hurt our onfield product. 

of course I don't mean Toronto ACTUALLY offers him 1 million/year, but you get the point I'm trying to make. It would be perfectly on brand for the Argos to do something ridiculous that makes zero sense within the salary cap, and somehow get away with it, because of course they do...... and "we need to save the Argos franchise at any cost!!11!" 

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

of course I don't mean Toronto ACTUALLY offers him 1 million/year, but you get the point I'm trying to make. It would be perfectly on brand for the Argos to do something ridiculous that makes zero sense within the salary cap, and somehow get away with it, because of course they do...... and "we need to save the Argos franchise at any cost!!11!" 

And, then the community owned Bombers will send the poor MLSE money to help them out. 

Dunk can talk all he wants about big contracts, does he talk about how those teams have done since signing those contracts?

At the end of the day, collaros has proven he should be the highest paid qb in the league. But highest doesn't mean $700k a year. That's absolutely brain dead for someone to suggest.

I might get flak for this, but this organization made Collaros look better than any other team could have. I said it early in the year that he was getting away with bad throws often....and a lot of that luck ran out in the playoffs....but thankfully we had another player who also proved he should be the highest paid in his position. Bighill and that Defense were a larger contributing factor to our record and playoff success.

Collaros hopefully knows this. I'm sure walters knows this. At the end of the day, if Collaros wants more than he should have, he can find out just how good our team made him look on the opposite side of the field.

Basically I do not believe Collaros is needed to 3 peat. Our Defense is.

1 hour ago, Geebrr said:

Well apparently with shared revenues they can spend our bank account to hurt our onfield product. 

I believe that Zack Collaras is a reasonable individual, but perhaps there is an agent involved here.  As has been stated by many on here, the benefits of signing here in Wpg, outweigh going elsewhere as far as football in the CFL. Now, if the Collaros family are making decisions based on family opportunities/health, location may be the driving factor in this decision, money maybe a secondary item. As far as numbers, here in Wpg, 475 to 495 thousand has been mentioned, which is reasonable for both parties (Zack and the Bombers), over 515 & plus is reaching. 

Now, I mention agent. There is a contract to the west of us, which in my opinion is not reasonable and out of line. Based on the performance of this player to the west, for starters, 20 games of starting CFL games, doesn't make elite top status pay standard. Now, the scribes and fan base will say different that follow the green team, but a contract similar to what was signed in Hamilton this past week, would be in line. Hopefully, this isn't the starting baseline that is being used by an agent in Zack's situation. 

As far as Zack, the numbers mentioned above for him would be reasonable and fair. The salary market for quarterbacks is adjusting and correcting the silly stuff that was given to Michael R., BLM & Trevor Harris, 2 or 3 years back. 

Zack Collaras has been in the league for years, shown he can lead team(s) and has attained the elite top status pay level. He should be paid accordingly, which is fair to the player and team.

9 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

So who would be our QB to get us a 3peat if Collaros leaves, even if the defence returns? Dru Brown?

Yes, if we don't re-sign Collaros, we have no option to sign a QB in FA and must go with the only QB on the roster. FA is only for non-Grey Cup winning teams. 

16 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I might get flak for this, but this organization made Collaros look better than any other team could have.

I don't see how. The team was able to build a balanced roster, which allowed Collaros to flourish behind the best O-line in the game. 

Collaros has no doubt earned a raise for his MOP season and second straight championship in 2021. He had a stellar cast to help him accomplish both achievements, though. The sophomore performances of Lawler and Bailey, Demski being a clutch performer, and a running game by committee - just to name a few.

If recent history is any indication, QBs like Reilly and Mitchell taking exorbitant raises a few years ago in free agency - at the cost of roster balance - hasn't aged well.