2021 predictions

wbbfan

The annual final standings and or season awards predictions. 

West. 1 Wpg 2 Edmonton 3 cal 4 ssk 5 bc

East. 1 mtl 2 ham 3 to 4 ott

I think the most wins we will see for a team this season is 12. With tight competition down to the last week for play off spots. 

Gonna say Rocquemore is our roty candidate.

Zach is our MOP 

Harris goes over 1k receiving this year but with less running load stanback leads the league. Gonna say 2 other bombers woli and Lawler go for over 1k too.

Jeffcoat gives willy a run for his money in sacks and bighill gives him a run in modp but wj repeats as modp. 

Hardrick gets a nod for mol but doesn't win. 

Harris again is our moc.

15 minutes ago, Dr Zaius said:

MVP: Fajardo

Coach of the year: Craig Dickenson

MODP: AC Leonard

ROTY: whoever, it doesn't matter, they're all going to make an impact.

MOL: Boyko

and I'm talking about league-wide awards, not just the riders obviously 

When did Rider fans start hacking MBB accounts? Note to self, change password from 1 2 3 4.

12 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

What's the maximum number of cousins that you will be allowed to bring to the Rider Grey Cup parade? Asking for a friend....

20 because they are not happy with the current cousins theyre dating. 😂😂😂

Edited by M.O.A.B.

More thorough predictions:

Bombers will not be as good as the consensus on this site thinks, but will be pretty good. Saskatchewan will be better than the consensus here thinks, and will also be good. 

Calgary will go as far as Bo Levi takes them, which can be pretty far. With their stability at QB, GM and coach, will go out on a limb and pick them for top spot barely. Now if Bo is not healthy and healed, they could take a big fall. 

Will pick the Bombers for second as I think the layoff of a year will allow them to be focussed on their defending champ status without it swelling their heads. And even if they slip to 3rd, they may be the best playoff bet because they are built for the playoff grind with the best talent along the lines on both sides of the ball in the CFL, which is how championships are won. BUT, I am more than concerned about Harris’ injury. This team was last in pass offence and I don’t think removing LaPo for Buck and bringing in Collaros flips that script too much. The offensive roster of this team has been shaped around ball control and Harris’ running and short pass receptions for the last 3 seasons, and if he is gone long term (bold prediction, he will be out a while with this or more injuries this year, and the short term transition will be tough) then we will need the defence to carry the team and win a few games, which they are capable of but will not be as consistently dominant at for a whole year as they were in the Grey Cup run - a high bar indeed. Also with Medlock gone we can’t rely on 7 FGs a game to win us a few. But the championship swagger will count for a decent bit. 

Sask 3rd as I think Fajardo played enough to be closer to the Vernon Adams next big thing potential than flash in the pan. And Powell could win a rushing title behind any line if he is fed enough, he can take over games. If they had lost so many to injury at the first practice, I would likely slot them second. Knee jerk reaction to seeing so many pencil them in for 5th here? Maybe, but betting against the Riders is almost the favourite sport on this site, and those bettors have been way wrong the last two seasons, at least as far as regular season predictions have gone. 

Gambling on BC to be 4th with Mike Reilly carrying them, a better o-line (could not be worse), and Lucky Whitehead having a breakout year. 

Edmonton 5th, but likely close to a .500 record. Trevor Harris will have big stats (as per usual) but it will not translate into wins (also as per usual). 

Overall in the West, the top 3 could rotate into any order and I would not be surprised, and the health of each club will be the biggest factor in that. There is a gap from the top 3 to 4 and 5 and the last 2 will be close as well and could flip spots. 

In the East Hamilton will play with a chip on their shoulder and will win a lot, but will not be as dominant as their 15-3 record in 2019. But a safe bet for first. Unfinished business - Eastern division style. 

Toronto’s big spending might pay off, if only because with both Arbuckle and MBT, they will have a serviceable QB no matter what (bold prediction #2 we will see QB attrition like we did in 2019 if not worse, the year off will cause more hurt than healing, especially for the older players). Roll the dice and put them second. 

Montreal 3rd as Vernon Adams Jr. becomes Trevor Harris 2.0 with big stats that will not translate into team wins. (This could be the biggest gaffe in my picks at year’s end). But the unbalanced schedule may allow 3rd in the East to make the playoffs this year. 

I really want Ottawa to do well because LaPO and Nichols deserve it for all they have done to help the Bombers get to the top of the mountain again, but Matt does not sound healed from his shoulder problem, and not enough supporting talent there. Another last place finish. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

Another Great Season Ahead!

Calgary has great management. That is my basis for picking them for first place. They do seem to come up with a talent in abundance all the time.

Winnipeg is my pick for number two in the West; great management but not as good as Calgary's. I still think we have offensive personnel problems to solve in both the backfield and at receiver. I hope our number two quarterback doesn't take long to learn the game. I would be very happy if Collaros can play 65 to 75% of his games as a starter. Our defence looks invincible but we will see. I believe the D will be winning most of our games for us this year.

I'm picking BC for third just because it's time for them to come out of the pit. They been doing stuff for three years now. They have a great quarterback. I think they will patch together a winning team. I could be terribly wrong about this. They have never stayed cellar dwellers for that long. Here I am way out on a limb.

The Elks just seem to have unsettled management and controversy  seen sub surface with not everybody on the same page, as far as the higher ups go. It's what I believe but I could be talking through my hat. They have talent and even more so this year. I just don't see harmony at this point. I could be terribly wrong about this.

The Rough Riders have seemed in disarray for the past few years (since winning the Cup)  without any kind of stable management structure. As community owners they do great. Translating that into corporate success in getting to the Grey Cup is a completely different matter.  Maybe they are number one as homers, but that does not translate into points on the board. Like Edmonton they have talent. They have promising quarterbacks. However, it just seems like helter-skelter chaos in the last three years. I need them to prove different this year. So for now I am slotting them to finish fifth in the Western division of the CFL.

I know a little bit about the Western Conference. I am out of touch with East. So I don't even know whether I can speak into my hat. Just call me clueless. However, here's one uneducated completely biased opinion:

The Tiger cats seem very well-managed and it looked like they were going to win it all last season. I believe that momentum will carry them to first place.

Montréal seems to be emerging from its pile of rubble in the new quarterback post- Cavillo era. Maybe they got the right people now; who knows? I like many of their new people from last season. They have a spitting chance to finish second. 

Toronto is a hive of activity. I have no idea how smart management is. I just know they're doing stuff. But they have an awful lot to prove. Maybe, this is the year they get their act together. But the big gaping hole is their own offensive line. If that could be improved they might have sufficient quarterbacking to go somewhere. I just don't see how they fill some of their talent shortages in the trenches.

I have respect for Ottawa's management. They did a lot from the beginning. But now it feels like they are stumbling around. They are gambling on a potentially washed up quarterback. The way they handle their quarterbacking in the off-season amazed me. Letting Arbuckle go to Toronto because Lapo loves Nichols seems very foolish to me. They may have let a premium quarterback slip through their hands. And if the QB spot is not stable, the whole team languishes for lack of leadership and later confidence. Lose your confidence and all you have left is a paycheck with some credentials. That doesn't make for the heart of a champion. Anyway enough of me rambling. I pick Ottawa for 4th in the standings while Lapo "rebuilds".

The biggest wildcard for all teams is going to be a very high injury rate. It's inevitable after a year off. Some will return in very good shape benefiting from the year off. Others have just been in a maintenance plan and without the constant hitting from a typical season, I just expect that injuries are gonna play a big and weird role this year..  So the biggest deal will be how good is each teams depth. Coaches everywhere will be saying "Next!" The ones hearing that call have the best shot at winning it all.

I am super excited that the CFL is back to being a major part of the Canadian culture. Maybe it will lead us on a very nice path and give us hope that things can be better than they used to be. At least, that's the hope I'm taking. We will see.

Edited by BigBlue

On 2021-08-02 at 6:59 PM, Mike said:

Lawler will be one of 5 receivers in the CFL over 1000 yards this year

Jefferson leads the league in sacks 

Oliviera outrushes Harris

Desjarlais is a CFL divisional all-star, as are Lawler, Jefferson, Bryant, Nichols (Deatrick) and Collaros

Honestly I am so smart