Today I Learned

Wideleft

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

TIL the force of various football maneuvers:

"To do the calculations, I reached out to Tim Gay, a renowned physicist at the University of Nebraska who wrote an indispensable book, “The Physics of Football,”"

• Two men of about 220 pounds (or 100 kilograms) run on a field until they reach top speeds of about 10 meters per second — when the defender suddenly slams into the receiver and brings him to a dead halt. Now their speeds are zero. Newton’s Second Law: force equals mass times acceleration. The acceleration — or deceleration in this case — is determined by the change in speed of the player divided by the time over which it occurs. The duration of hits can vary dramatically, of course, but Gay has studied NFL films enough to assert that a fair estimate to use is one to two tenths of a second.  Do the math. Multiply the mass by the acceleration, and divide by the time interval over which the change in speed occurs. The backward deceleration comes out to minus 240 feet per second squared.  That’s 1,650 pounds — or about three-fourths of a ton. “You get forces equal to the weight of a baby whale,” Gay says.
  • Gay has toyed with other calculations. When two players collide helmet to helmet — only sometimes against the rules — he estimates it’s akin to having a 16-pound bowling ball dropped on the head from a height of 12 feet.
  • Even the noncontact forces on the field are breathtaking when Gay puts them in kinetic-mathematical context. Gay once calculated the force with which a great NFL runner-receiver makes a lateral cut. It’s one of the most transfixingly elegant moves on the field — “They almost teleport,” Gay says admiringly — and he wanted to measure it. There are two forces being exerted when a player hard-plants his foot — that of the body, and that of the turf. “The ground obeys Newton’s Third Law and pushes back on him with the same force,” Gay says. “About 800 pounds of force shoot through his ankle and his foot.”
  • And then there is the torque of a face mask penalty in the NFL, which he frames with an especially vivid comparison. “It’s about the same as if you stuck your neck in an industrial washing machine at full speed,” he says.
  • As you watch the playoffs, remember the most important physical statistic of all. This one any innumerate person can understand: The injury rate in the NFL is 100 percent. They all get hurt. Fully one in four of the league’s retirees will need a joint replacement. They suffer arthritis at five times the rate of their peers. And they are four times as likely to suffer neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer’s or ALS. Yet, the NFL’s health insurance program lasts five years after retirement — if they qualify for it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/01/12/nfl-physics-violence/

• 2 weeks later...
On 2022-05-08 at 5:24 PM, Mark H. said:

Walmarts are open 24 hours in many states - feel free to draw your own metaphorical conclusions.

When my son was playing junior college in Northern California. Sometimes I didn't feel like sleeping. So, around midnight I'd leave my hotel & drive 30 minutes to Yreka, CA just to walk around the local Walmart for some fun. Some of the late night shoppers were strange. One time I had on my San Francisco 49ers jacket. There were two Oakland Raider fans. Looking more like urchins than human. Both being like 5'4 inches tall, full of piercings & covered in Raider gear. They followed me around the store hurling 9er insults & telling me how great the City of Oakland was. They were a guy & a gal in their 20;s but they looked about 12.  Having been to Oakland I just laughed at them & it really fired them up. Finally they left the store. there were other strange peop,e there. Some looked like lumberjacks. Others like survivalists. Rural Northern California in the mountains is a very interesting place. 

40 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Considering the state of their nation and the history of Dallas, this kind of makes sense.

Is this a bad time to tell that in Winnipeg when VIP's are visiting that they also have snipers lined up.   This isn't anything new.   

Today I learned that when 2 bums are fighting downtown and both throw punches and both miss, they both fall to the ground and the fight is over. 

I Also learned it's possible for a woman to stop in the middle of the sidewalk, take her jacket down and pee while almost standing up. 630 7am downtown is interesting 

Edited by Goalie

4 hours ago, Goalie said:

Today I learned that when 2 bums are fighting downtown and both throw punches and both miss, they both fall to the ground and the fight is over. 

I Also learned it's possible for a woman to stop in the middle of the sidewalk, take her jacket down and pee while almost standing up. 630 7am downtown is interesting 

Today I learned that if you have a cart full of toys and walk out of Toys'R'Us ,  security will do nothing at all.    

I also learned that toys at Toys'R'Us are insanely expensive  and it's almost at a point that it makes sense to just walk out with not paying.    $60 dollars for a cheap plastic car, $40 for a plush, $130 for a Batmobile!!!

19 hours ago, Brandon said:

Today I learned that if you have a cart full of toys and walk out of Toys'R'Us ,  security will do nothing at all.    

I also learned that toys at Toys'R'Us are insanely expensive  and it's almost at a point that it makes sense to just walk out with not paying.    $60 dollars for a cheap plastic car, $40 for a plush, $130 for a Batmobile!!!

Simplifies my Christmas shopping!

37 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Yes. I don't buy it often and mostly not in MB, but sometimes a half decent deal comes along.

Yer sayin yer frugal? Or just plain cheap 😄

6 hours ago, Mark H. said:

If you're into high end single malt scotch - some are $20 - $30 off.

Jack and Grey Goose are as well. Why cant those prices be permanent?