Covid-19

JCon

49 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Honest question, assuming everyone is healthy. Are we able to have extended family dinners (grandparents or aunt/uncle) assuming we stay under 10 people....?

I think you would be putting older family members in jeopardy unless everyone attending the dinner was tested negative, especially since many carriers have shown no symptoms  and are not aware they are infected.  

15 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I think you would be putting older family members in jeopardy unless everyone attending the dinner was tested negative, especially since many carriers have shown no symptoms  and are not aware they are infected.  

I know, that's the shitty part. You just can't ever be sure unless you've been tested...and even then, the only way you can be 100% sure is if everyone has tested positive for the antibodies because you could theoretically catch it 10 min before a visit...

15 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Ok. So all this hand wringing and pearl clutching at the lock-down.... two questions:

what would liked to have seen happen? Before the lock-down and quarantine process that is now in place.

and the next question:

Given where we are now, how would like the government to proceed?

Hindsight is 20-20 and it's easy for me to prognosticate now on what should have been done before the lock-down but the truth is it was hard to know what to do. It certainly didn't help anyone to think clearly with the media blaring "Death by Covid" multiple times per day and flashing all those nasty-looking green and red coronavirus pics. To answer your first question honestly, I probably would have done exactly what we did, maybe even sooner.

That said and again with the benefit of 20-20 hindsight it seems clear to me that very early on we knew the at-risk people were those with any kind of compromised immune system -- the sick and the elderly. I would have done everything possible to isolate and protect those people. After that, I would have sought out the advice of experienced health care workers from around the world and then decided on the next course of action which probably would have involved letting the kids go back to school and getting the economy rolling by letting people not at risk return to work not unlike what Sweden has done. I think sooner or later we are all going to be exposed to this virus. Yes it sucks that it can take 18 months to develop a vaccine but quarantining everyone may only drag this thing out for too long. We're about to see if that's true. 

I'd like to see the govt lift all restrictions on the young and strong while keeping the most vulnerable isolated and safe. If infections spike among the young and strong, as it most likely will, we can monitor it but the vast majority should be just fine. They'll build antibodies and eventually herd immunity will be achieved, something that has to happen anyway, otherwise we'll be doomed to repeat this lock-down cycle repeatedly which I don't think anyone wants.

What I don't want the govt to do is let the economy collapse completely over a long period of time with devastating consequences just to delay the inevitable.

Not once in your rambling did you mention the single biggest reason we are actually doing all this.... avoiding over burdening the health care system so that lives can be saved. 

Economies recover, dead people don't and if we drag this out (which is the entire point of curve flattening) less people will die. Having a bunch of people sick and dead doesn't help economies either. 

6 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Quite possibly the last province in Canada that should try this as they have by far the most cases of COVID-19 and the most deaths, but nonetheless it sounds like Quebec will be the first to  re-open schools and their economy.

"Quebec has moved more quickly than other provinces to reopen schools, despite having the most deaths related to COVID-19."

"Legault said Monday the decision to begin loosening coronavirus restrictions by reopening elementary schools was made, in part, because the risk of younger children developing complications from COVID-19 is very low."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-schools-questions-covid-19-roberge-1.5547693

Why Legault feels it's safe to reopen economy, even though Quebec hit hardest by COVID-19

"At the outset of the pandemic, Quebec moved quicker than most in shutting down schools and most of its economy. Now, more than a month later, the province is again distinguishing itself, by setting out a firm timeline for phasing out some of those measures.

Premier François Legault and several ministers have spent the past two days explaining how the province will reopen schools and businesses.

The broad strokes of the plan include reopening elementary schools and daycares on May 11, though children in the greater Montreal area will have to wait a week longer. "

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-reopens-business-schools-why-1.5548127

COVID-19_Outbreak_Cases_in_Canada_(Pop_D

Quebec is... well, Quebec. Some things will never change. Instead of a wall just build a dome over it. 

53 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I know, that's the shitty part. You just can't ever be sure unless you've been tested...and even then, the only way you can be 100% sure is if everyone has tested positive for the antibodies because you could theoretically catch it 10 min before a visit...

I just lost my 90 y.o. Aunt, she didn't die directly from  COVID-19 but very hard to say it wasn't related to this pandemic by the associated working conditions created in her care-home.  My cousins were unable to visit her during the last 2 weeks of her life,  my Mom is in a similar situation and is at super high risk, absolutely no visitation allowed.

13 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I just lost my 90 y.o. Aunt, she didn't die directly from  COVID-19 but very hard to say it wasn't related to this pandemic by the associated working conditions created in her care-home.  My cousins were unable to visit her during the last 2 weeks of her life,  my Mom is in a similar situation and is at super high risk, absolutely no visitation allowed.

Sorry to hear about your Aunt & I hope your Mom will be okay. My Daughter In Law's Mother is in a  senior care home in the final stages of Dementia. She is in Brooks, AB in a long term senior care home. They have had a serious outbreak of Covid at the meat packing plant there.  She is at great risk. And my Daughter In Law or her father can't visit either. Horrible situation. 

A phantom plague’: Evangelical fundamentalists who openly defied social distancing guidelines are dying of coronavirus in frightening numbers2K

Countless non-fundamentalist churches in the United States, from Catholic to Lutheran and Episcopalian, have embraced social distancing during the coronavirus pandemic and temporarily moved their activities online. But many Christian fundamentalists and evangelicals have been irresponsibly downplaying the dangers of COVID-19 and doing so with deadly results: journalist Alex Woodward, in the U.K.-based Independent, reports that the pandemic has claimed the lives of more than 30 pastors in the Bible Belt

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Not once in your rambling did you mention the single biggest reason we are actually doing all this.... avoiding over burdening the health care system so that lives can be saved. 

Economies recover, dead people don't and if we drag this out (which is the entire point of curve flattening) less people will die. Having a bunch of people sick and dead doesn't help economies either. 

Sorry for rambling but it was such a good question I had to try to give a good answer. I didn't mention overburdening the health system because I can't see how it would get overburdened if you protected the most vulnerable.

What you're missing about the economy is that a pooched economy will result in added deaths as well as suffering. The economy is vitally important to the health of the nation too. Again, if the most vulnerable are protected, it has already been demonstrated that the young and strong aren't going to succumb to this thing. How are you going to get all these sick and dead people you're referring to?

Edited by J5V

56 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Very, very sorry to hear this. My condolences. My thoughts and prayers go out to your Mom and your family. Hoping for the best.

42 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Sorry to hear about your Aunt & I hope your Mom will be okay. My Daughter In Law's Mother is in a  senior care home in the final stages of Dementia. She is in Brooks, AB in a long term senior care home. They have had a serious outbreak of Covid at the meat packing plant there.  She is at great risk. And my Daughter In Law or her father can't visit either. Horrible situation. 

Very sorry to hear of this. Best wishes and prayers go out to you and your family.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

avoiding over burdening the health care system so that lives can be saved. 

I don’t think this can be stressed enough.

We've all seen pictures and videos of stressed out hospital workers as it is. It’s happening. 

If you want an idea on how bad it can get, just look at the US, whose leader has bungled this atrociously. 

We’re in a tough spot, but what we’re doing is working and that’s why it doesn’t look so bad at this point.

6 hours ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Am I stupid in thinking the timing of increased testing and phase 1 essentially happening at the same time are going to throw off the numbers? I feel like they should have run with the increased testing as a baseline for a while first.

Being able to increase testing was a crucial element to allowing the start of phase 1. The total number of cases isn’t the greatest concern, the number that require medical intervention and hospitalization are the ones we need to worry about. 

5 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

They say this, but no one has the balls to actually enforce it.  Last long-weekend the population in my area doubled with the influx of cottagers coming in from Alberta, I expect the same for the Victoria long-weekend.  It's mostly a "suggestion" that many will choose to ignore.

There is a 50km buffer zone in the order. How far is Kenora from the border?

3 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Honest question, assuming everyone is healthy. Are we able to have extended family dinners (grandparents or aunt/uncle) assuming we stay under 10 people....?

Yes, but don’t be stupid and risk the lives of the most vulnerable. I wouldn’t suggest bringing the great grand daughter to celebrate fragile granny’s 90th birthday. 

Let’s be serious, Manitoba has done an incredible job in the last 6 weeks. We deserve phase 1 now and if we are smart and practical as we normally are by mid May that group size will be 25 and you will be able to go swimming at the beach. 

There is only one thing I desire right now, trade 30 Post Media jobs for one Bartley Kives. I have really grown to despise that man and his style. I once faithfully  read his music and concert reviews but now can’t stand to hear his pompous self righteous ass ask questions. 

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/special/coronavirus/wire/trump-says-he-wont-extend-social-distancing-guidelines--570058472.html

President Donald Trump said Wednesday the federal government will not be extending its coronavirus social distancing guidelines once they expire Thursday, and his son-in-law and adviser, Jared Kushner, predicted that by July the country will be “really rocking again.”

Also...

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/soccer/cpl-joins-cfl-in-asking-ottawa-for-financial-assistance-during-pandemic-570055222.html#cxrecs_s

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg