Jump to content

How About that Other Worldly Play-Off Defense?


Which was a Better Defense During Play-Offs?  

51 members have voted

  1. 1. Which was a Better Defense During Play-Offs?

    • 2011 "Swaggerville"
      0
    • 2019 Grey Cup Champs?
      51


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've rewatched the game in its entirety twice now ,wife thinks I'm nuts lol. But for all the accolades going to the DL ,I think Mike Jones at corner had a game for the ages. Took cry baby Banks out of

I think I've said it before on here, but I'll never forget just how little Evans wanted to be in the pocket holding the ball the final 5-7 minutes of that game. He looked absolutely traumatized by our

The DL took it to the next level - everyone else just had to do their jobs behind them. They saved their best football for the big dance. 

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

Lapo happened. Played passive and hoped the D would win the game for them.

basically as that whole year went...hope to get a few scores and have defense hold them..or chip in...we played 99% of time to not make an error and not do anything to lose the game..as opposed to go out there and grab the game by the onions and win it outright...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 17to85 said:

It's why I am not sad to see lapo go.

me either...he had ran his course..we got a cup..as did he..time fr him to move on and cement his legacy, or confirm his limitations..we will be fine, and the play book we had last year is the Winnipeg Blue Bombers playbook..not property of Lapo with legal conditions we can't use it..But Buck will certainly augment it, and add new things, and I bet be less passive....but for all we know a lot of it could have been Buck's influence...we shall see, 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wbbfan said:

Swaggervile had some incredible individual talents. the 2019 unit got it done though, with out the need to be tacky, and with much better team play. 

Over the course of a whole season, Tim Burke's 2011 D was better.......but when it mattered most, Richie Hall's crew got it done.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Passing

  DATE TEAM GP PTS/GP PTS COMP ATT % ATT/GP YARDS AVG YARDS/GP TD INT 1ST 1ST % LNG SCK
  2011 WPG 18 8.7 156 320 564 56.7 31.3 4016 7.1 223.1 26 25 175 31.0 64 55
  2019   WPG   18          9.0  162      418  661 63.2       36.7      5462   8.3           303.4   27  24 248      37.5     75   48

Rushing

  DATE TEAM GP PTS/GP PTS ATT ATT/GP YARDS AVG YARDS/GP TD LG 1ST 1ST % 10 20
  2011 WPG 18 4.7 84 344 19.1 1821 5.3 101.2 14 44 118 34.3 67 1
  2019   WPG    18         3.0    54  256       14.2      1156    4.5            64.2    9  34    89    34.8  43   5

Receiving

  DATE TEAM GP PTS/GP PTS REC YARDS YAC AVG YARDS/GP LG TD 30 1ST 1ST % FUM
  2011 WPG 18 8.7 156 320 4016 0 7.2 223.1 64 26 18 175 54.7 34
  2019   WPG   18          9.0  162  418      5462 1882   8.4           303.4   75 27  32 248    59.3     34

Tackles*

TACKLES INTERCEPTIONS FUMBLES
RK DATE TEAM GP TT DT ST QS INT YARDS LG TD FF FR TD
1 2011 WPG 18 774 621 153 55 25 369 83 4 20 18 1
1 2019       WPG   18 833 690 143 48   24        367  71   3 23  13    3

*This bottom table is a mess. I can't get the column titles lined up

Edited by JCon
Update coming
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Over the course of a whole season, Tim Burke's 2011 D was better.......but when it mattered most, Richie Hall's crew got it done.

I'm too lazy to check out Burke's roster changes over the course of the season but it seems to me that Richie was tweaking his, right to the cup. Gaitor, Fenner, Rios out-new guys in. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Swaggervile had some incredible individual talents. the 2019 unit got it done though, with out the need to be tacky, and with much better team play. 

Ugh, I cringe every time I think of those T-shirts with "swag bombs" On them... seriously WTF- that **** needed to be to passed on to QC for taste and wit, and fail on both accounts.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to be negative but of course this year's defense is better than Swaggerville just because we finished very strong and that defense started very strong (in the season). 

A better question might be "Where does this defense rank among some of the all time great defenses in Bomber history?" My vote ( and I've only followed the Bombers since '72) would probably go to those defenses in the 80's to early 90's. In 88 we had the lowest scoring offense, but our defense allowed the fewest points in the league.

Having said that, this year's defensive line allowed the 2nd fewest rushing yards in league history (per game).

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, blueingreenland said:

Sorry to be negative but of course this year's defense is better than Swaggerville just because we finished very strong and that defense started very strong (in the season). 

A better question might be "Where does this defense rank among some of the all time great defenses in Bomber history?" My vote ( and I've only followed the Bombers since '72) would probably go to those defenses in the 80's to early 90's. In 88 we had the lowest scoring offense, but our defense allowed the fewest points in the league.

Having said that, this year's defensive line allowed the 2nd fewest rushing yards in league history (per game).

I still think Tyrone Jones is one of the best rushers I've ever seen.  The guy was just unstoppable.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Swaggervile had some incredible individual talents. the 2019 unit got it done though, with out the need to be tacky, and with much better team play. 

Swaggerville was all about individuals. Yes, they played extremely well together but they weren't as close knit as the Band of Brothers playing D in the playoffs & Grey Cup. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Ugh, I cringe every time I think of those T-shirts with "swag bombs" On them... seriously WTF- that **** needed to be to passed on to QC for taste and wit, and fail on both accounts.

I proudly wore my Swaggerville shirt every week that year.

It was a very fun year - an oasis in a dessert of horrible years. It was flanked by Doug Berry's unceremonial ousting after a terribly diappointing 2008, the Mike Kelly fiasco of 2009, and the 4-14 Lapo/Mack rookie campaign, and was followed up by an even more disappointing 2012 that saw Lapo unceremoniously shown the door, the most disastrous year in Bomber history that I know of (to christen a new stadium, to boot) in Burke's 2013 year, and O'Shea's extremely forgettable first two years here with Drew Willy and no stinkin' playoffs.

I don't understand the flack that the 2011 group got for bringing a little fun to what was otherwise a very dark cloud over the franchise. These years encompassed most of my fandom, too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...