Nichols out for the year

Jpan85

Just now, Noeller said:

I disagree....I'm not sure yet, and I don't think they are either. I think if they CAN bring Nichols back ($$$) they will...

I just don't see how Walters could look at the evidence and decide to pay more to Nichols than what he can get Streveler for. I think he rolls with Streveler and McGuire. 

All of this is predicated on the idea that Buck takes over and we don't go off the board with a run and gun style coordinator. Not sure that would change anything though. 

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I'm sure you do, but I'm also sure you don't know what you're talking about. They'll give him a shot in camp, I'm pretty sure, and see how he looks...

We've determined that he's not under contract. Do you think that Walters will give him more than Desjardins or someone else out there? 

3 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

O'Shea saved Nichols career.

how do you figure that?

My recollecition is that the team was on a losing streak,  OShea was hanging by a thread, sticking with Willie when Drew was a shell, and the rumour was that Mike had to be told to put in Nichols.

What's yours?

Edited by Mark F

Nichols W/L record since he got here is all the info he needs for contract discussions. Now, how things go with Streveler down the stretch will determine a lot...we'll see. But they LOVE Nichols and how he fits in. They're going to do everything they can to bring him back.

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Nichols W/L record since he got here is all the info he needs for contract discussions. Now, how things go with Streveler down the stretch will determine a lot...we'll see. But they LOVE Nichols and how he fits in. They're going to do everything they can to bring him back.

This will be the biggest deciding factor. And right now I have to believe that Walters is already getting set to speak to Nichols agent.

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

All they have to do is anoint him the # 1 starting QB for the team and he has the job........  and then away we go again

4 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The bus ride to the stadium being uphill both ways was real tough too....

Whole receiving core out?  Seem to remember Dressler making some pretty big plays in that game in Edmonton.

You should also recall the fact that Dressler and Darvin Adams both got hurt in Nichols first start against Edmonton and we started a winning steak without Dressler, Adams and Ryan Smith.

Edited by Blueandgold

5 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

O'Shea saved Nichols career.  So did Richie Hall.  Our W-L since 2016 is nowhere near what it is without a defense that turns the ball over at a record rate from 2016-18.

argument could be made that Harris saved Nichols career.... Harris careered in 2017 with his yards from scrimmage and 105 receptions.  All those short passes propped up the completion percentage and QB rating, and he's been nowhere near that level since this time 3 years ago.  He had a couple good games this year, but to say he was having a career season?? That also says a lot... mediocrity is okay I guess!

3 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

argument could be made that Harris saved Nichols career.... Harris careered in 2017 with his yards from scrimmage and 105 receptions.  All those short passes propped up the completion percentage and QB rating, and he's been nowhere near that level since this time 3 years ago.  He had a couple good games this year, but to say he was having a career season?? That also says a lot... mediocrity is okay I guess!

Nichols efficiency rating is 107.2, which is the highest of any QB in the CFL. I know only yards count on this board and not wins but guy was having a great year. 

18 minutes ago, JCon said:

Nichols efficiency rating is 107.2, which is the highest of any QB in the CFL. I know only yards count on this board and not wins but guy was having a great year. 

How do sacks factor into that?  QB rushing?  A QB that avoids INT's and throws a good number of TD's on short fields looks like a God by that stat, even if he took 5-6 unnecessary sacks that game that derailed the offense.  A bunch of 2 yard throws for completions, perfect score.  Really only useful with a huge data set to iron out that kind of stuff.  Like if we want to compare two QB's with decade long careers.

18 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

By that measuring stick, Sean Salisbury was a better Bomber QB than all of Khari, Dunigan, and Brock, right?

Given the fact that football is a true TEAM sport.....QB is only one part of that winning equation. My reference wasn’t solely on the QB position it was meant as a reflection on an organization and their success.

1 minute ago, DR. CFL said:

Given the fact that football is a true TEAM sport.....QB is only one part of that winning equation. My reference wasn’t solely on the QB position it was meant as a reflection on an organization and their success.

And the current regime has had far more success then any other dating back to 2011 where there was a short stay at the success, bus stop.

3 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

How do sacks factor into that?  QB rushing?  A QB that avoids INT's and throws a good number of TD's on short fields looks like a God by that stat, even if he took 5-6 unnecessary sacks that game that derailed the offense.  A bunch of 2 yard throws for completions, perfect score.  Really only useful with a huge data set to iron out that kind of stuff.  Like if we want to compare two QB's with decade long careers.

Averaged more yards per throw than BLM has this year.

And, now he can only be compared if he's had a decade long career? 

Nichols said he was having the best season of his career and now you want to argue that by only comparing it against two QB's with long careers?????

Holy Jeebus this rabbit hole is being dug deep!

1 minute ago, DR. CFL said:

Was Jim Kelly of the a Buffalo Bills immortalized for his win/ loss record or his failed Super Bowl appearances?  Regardless of the position or the sport I want a player on my team that has demonstrated he can win in the BIG game. 

So, Reilly or BLM. 

13 minutes ago, JCon said:

Nichols said he was having the best season of his career and now you want to argue that by only comparing it against two QB's with long careers?????

Don't you feel that this is a bit of a negotiating tactic?  He's got no deal for 2020, and it doesn't sound like the club wanted to work out an extension pre-season.  Of course he's going to try and highlight the good he did this season.  But we all went through this last week looking at the opponents.  Nichols great record this season was largely against struggling teams.  To say he was having a career year, when he only played 3 teams that had a winning record, you have to look at this from both sides.  His best game of the year was against Calgary, so give him that... but he also couldn't move the ball at all against Toronto and contributed greatly to that meltdown loss 2 months ago.  I'd be fine with him coming back next season, but not as the defacto starter, and certainly not at Elite level starter's money.

Upon further review... he actually only had a W against 2 teams with a winning record.  Calgary & Edmonton.

Edited by trueBlue83

18 minutes ago, JCon said:

Averaged more yards per throw than BLM has this year.

And, now he can only be compared if he's had a decade long career? 

Holy Jeebus this rabbit hole is being dug deep!

No, talking about QB Rating generally.  About as relevant as save percentage for a goalie, more of a team stat in the short-term and prone to inflation/deflation in a small sample.

BLM is basically playing through an injury that should probably be season-ending and just had elbow and shoulder surgery on his throwing arm last off-season.  Is it surprising Dickenson knows how to run a screen game?

10 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

Don't you feel that this is a bit of a negotiating tactic?  He's got no deal for 2020, and it doesn't sound like the club wanted to work out an extension pre-season.  Of course he's going to try and highlight the good he did this season.  But we all went through this last week looking at the opponents.  Nichols great record this season was largely against struggling teams.  To say he was having a career year, when he only played 3 teams that had a winning record, you have to look at this from both sides.  His best game of the year was against Calgary, so give him that... but he also couldn't move the ball at all against Toronto and contributed greatly to that meltdown loss 2 months ago.  I'd be fine with him coming back next season, but not as the defacto starter, and certainly not at Elite level starter's money.

Upon further review... he actually only had a W against 2 teams with a winning record.  Calgary & Edmonton.

Janarion Grant beat Calgary.