Chris Streveler - Has your opinion changed?

B-F-F-C

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

It's only a different kind of potential... The entire point here is that the limiting factor isn't the quarterback, it's the offense itself. 

I am in full agreement that Lapo is terrible and will always be terrible but I’m very skeptical that you can believe that Nichols will ever be more than what he is now. But that’s an argument for another time. 

Streveler will pick up where he left off last game....he will put the offence on his back early and carry them..... And then the offence will get pumped and get to work and make it even easier for the QB.... man I hope it's  a blow out this Saturday 

Edited by NorthernSkunk

2 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Streveler will pick up where he left off last game....he will put the offence on his back early and carry them..... And then the offence will get pumped and get to work and make it even easier for the QB.... man I hope it's  a blow out this Saturday 

What... what game did you watch? 

25 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Listened on cjob...... didn't Streveler and the offence get a TD late in the game to go ahead ? I must be copying something  Bob or Doug said late in the game (?)

One TD, how does he magically multiply that to create a blowout against the same defence?  Streveler is operating a slow grinding offence, the only way they win  games against competent opponents is keeping the score low or by getting helpers from the D and ST's.

12 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

One TD, how does he magically multiply that to create a blowout against the same defence?  Streveler is operating a slow grinding offence, the only way they win  games against competent opponents is keeping the score low or by getting helpers from the D and ST's.

How does he do it.....he start throwing "dimes" (?) real consistently.... the offence buys in and works harder to help create more completions...then before you know it the score is 28 - 0 for the Bombers at the half......  and some have said that green defence ain't that good anyways

5 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

he's running basically the same offence as Nichols was..nothing has changed at all scheme wise, or with formations...only difference is that there are more called QB run plays...and that offence with Nichols was the highest, or 2nd highest offensive points scored in the league..what..3 years running now....so this team has won..and can win without ST and or Defensive scores....cause if that was the case for wins..then all teams below us in points scored would never win unless they get the same scoring help...so thats not true whatsoever.

If and when he gets more time and reps...gets comfortable with things..he will improve, as he really has including College only 3 years of QB experience total...not starter experience...but QB experience.

I would think that once he gets more comfortable, and we get all our starters back playing....we should see some deviation from the norm, and things installed to suit some of his strong points...and if that doesn't happen, then thats a fail on the coaches....and if he doesn't progress like he should, then we move on, or he just continues as a nice change of pace guy/short yardage guy and a back-up who you can put in, and shouldn't hurt you.

I have seen progression from his first start, to his second...the stats show that, but that's not the only progression I have noticed. He also started against Edm in his first game..arguably one of the top defenses in the league..at least front 7 wise for a QB, then in a game where historically we suck...is a tough environment to play and despite a few gaffs, hung in there and took the team down the field to go ahead when the game mattered..and put us up with about 3 minutes left in the game..and where we should have won if not for a defensive let down..so all things considered he did enough to win both his starts...and progressed from one start to the next.

Lets see now with a home game...more work with the number one offence in practice, then a bye and a game in Mtl coming off the bye to truly assess if he is getting better, or a lost cause

50 minutes ago, JCon said:

Yes, but I wouldn't describe what happened as Streveler putting the offence on his back early and carry them. 

I never said that he put the team on his back early in the last game..... I said he will do it the next game.  He did orchestrate a decent late drive to get that TD though right ...

I wish I could be more optimistic about the Banjo Bowl, but I am not. After the Bombers with a full complement of players soiled the sheets in Toronto, they followed that up with another bad game in Steeltown. There has been speculation about how well the Bombers would do if the defence and special teams did not play their usual heroic game and relied on an anemic offence to win, and we saw that in the LDC. Streveler needs to show that he can run at least a respectable offence with a couple of dozen crisp passes and several in a row or all of the enthusiasm that he brought in with him will evaporate in his teammates' eyes. Streveler's college history seems to indicate that he can throw the ball well, but so far we have not seen much of that.

2 minutes ago, Tracker said:

I wish I could be more optimistic about the Banjo Bowl, but I am not. After the Bombers with a full complement of players soiled the sheets in Toronto, they followed that up with another bad game in Steeltown. There has been speculation about how well the Bombers would do if the defence and special teams did not play their usual heroic game and relied on an anemic offence to win, and we saw that in the LDC. Streveler needs to show that he can run at least a respectable offence with a couple of dozen crisp passes and several in a row or all of the enthusiasm that he brought in with him will evaporate in his teammates' eyes. Streveler's college history seems to indicate that he can throw the ball well, but so far we have not seen much of that.

They did not, they beat Calgary the week after the loss to Argos

46 minutes ago, Booch said:

he's running basically the same offence as Nichols was..nothing has changed at all scheme wise, or with formations...only difference is that there are more called QB run plays...and that offence with Nichols was the highest, or 2nd highest offensive points scored in the league..what..3 years running now....so this team has won..and can win without ST and or Defensive scores....cause if that was the case for wins..then all teams below us in points scored would never win unless they get the same scoring help...so thats not true whatsoever.

If and when he gets more time and reps...gets comfortable with things..he will improve, as he really has including College only 3 years of QB experience total...not starter experience...but QB experience.

I would think that once he gets more comfortable, and we get all our starters back playing....we should see some deviation from the norm, and things installed to suit some of his strong points...and if that doesn't happen, then thats a fail on the coaches....and if he doesn't progress like he should, then we move on, or he just continues as a nice change of pace guy/short yardage guy and a back-up who you can put in, and shouldn't hurt you.

I have seen progression from his first start, to his second...the stats show that, but that's not the only progression I have noticed. He also started against Edm in his first game..arguably one of the top defenses in the league..at least front 7 wise for a QB, then in a game where historically we suck...is a tough environment to play and despite a few gaffs, hung in there and took the team down the field to go ahead when the game mattered..and put us up with about 3 minutes left in the game..and where we should have won if not for a defensive let down..so all things considered he did enough to win both his starts...and progressed from one start to the next.

Lets see now with a home game...more work with the number one offence in practice, then a bye and a game in Mtl coming off the bye to truly assess if he is getting better, or a lost cause

Even then, it'd be too early to say this. Masoli looked like hot garbage, k maybe not hot Garbage. But certainly not someone who was ready to lead a time, his first few years as a CFL qb. I won't be ready to write Streveler off until year 4 at the earliest. He's a serviceable back up until then at the very least.

6 minutes ago, Brandon said:

So if Nichols is out for the season and Streveler plays at his current level. What do you do for next year? 

Have faith that Nichols will be healed up?

Move on with Streveler?

Dump Streveler and groom McGuire?

For me, the only way I'd move on from Nichols is if Streveler plays the rest of the year, AND wins the GC. Every other scenario I hope they try to get both back, or at least upgrade from Nichols.

12 minutes ago, Brandon said:

So if Nichols is out for the season and Streveler plays at his current level. What do you do for next year? 

Have faith that Nichols will be healed up?

Move on with Streveler?

Dump Streveler and groom McGuire?

If Streveler plays as good or better than Nichols has.... do you think Nichols would be happy backing up Chris next year ?

16 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

Ultimately money talks....under your scenario.......do you think you sell either one on back up money?

Depends, as of today Ottawa looks like the only team that will really be searching for a starter (even MBT is playing well at the moment). 

I’m not sure he’s a pending FA, but if he is, Nick Arbuckle will be everyone’s first option. Will there be two teams looking for a starting QB that would view Strev/Nichols as an undisputed upgrade? I have my doubts.  

Edited by Blueandgold

2 hours ago, JCon said:

Yes, but I wouldn't describe what happened as Streveler putting the offence on his back early and carry them. 

to be fair I don't think that's what NS was describing, either. He was suggesting that Strev will hopefully come out and put the team on his back early...just like he ended the last game...which, imo, is not an entirely inaccurate description