Game Day Thread- Bombers at Arblows

Nolby

13 minutes ago, Mike said:

There’s no doubt in my mind that Nichols is being elevated by the players around him. So sick and tired of the constant checkdowns, fear of getting hit and inability to put the ball in the right spot. His accuracy has been absolutely pitiful this year and we’ve paid pretty dearly for it when you think about it - he got Matthews destroyed on a long bomb he hung up for way too long, he’s had Whitehead, Wolitarsky and Lawler contorting their bodies to make what should be easy catches and taking some good abuse for their troubles, he’s almost gotten Lawler killed across the middle on two separate occasions ... he’s making the easy throws look tough and the tough throws look impossible. I honestly think the last time he dropped one right in the basket was to Demski against Ottawa.

That doesn’t absolve LaPolice either though. Call a play that allows for a slant route once in a while, good grief. Open up the playbook and call a game like you brought your nuts to the stadium for once. Absolutely gutless football and it doesn’t make me sick because it means we’re 5-2 today, it makes me sick because it’s the exact attitude that never gets you a ring.

It’s gutless - but at the same time we have receivers getting punished because of it.  Something has got to give, at some point. 

I have to imagine that O’Shea is sick and tired of Lapo going into kill the clock mode after halftime. It’s like clockwork at this point. You have to wonder what’s being said in the room at half. And if the uneducated fans know it, you damn well better believe that the coaches in the league have figured out you can be aggressive and take chances against this team in the second half and they aren’t going to fight back. 

A lot of that is Nichols too. The guy is not a leader. Perhaps the INTs against Hamilton and the public beatings he took last season have made him petrified to make a big mistake but he can’t have it both ways. Being known as a game manager clearly rattles him and hurts his feelings, he’s made that clear countless times. But at this point, a game manager would be a massive upgrade. This team can win with a game manager who owns what he is and makes the plays that are available in front of him. Even game managers don’t throw for sub-170 yards against the worst defence in the league or an almost unbelievably bad 261 on 48(!) attempts. Yards can be meaningless in certain situations but here they tell the whole story. 

Edited by AKAChip

2 hours ago, Mike said:

There’s no doubt in my mind that Nichols is being elevated by the players around him. So sick and tired of the constant checkdowns, fear of getting hit and inability to put the ball in the right spot. His accuracy has been absolutely pitiful this year and we’ve paid pretty dearly for it when you think about it - he got Matthews destroyed on a long bomb he hung up for way too long, he’s had Whitehead, Wolitarsky and Lawler contorting their bodies to make what should be easy catches and taking some good abuse for their troubles, he’s almost gotten Lawler killed across the middle on two separate occasions ... he’s making the easy throws look tough and the tough throws look impossible. I honestly think the last time he dropped one right in the basket was to Demski against Ottawa.

That doesn’t absolve LaPolice either though. Call a play that allows for a slant route once in a while, good grief. Open up the playbook and call a game like you brought your nuts to the stadium for once. Absolutely gutless football and it doesn’t make me sick because it means we’re 5-2 today, it makes me sick because it’s the exact attitude that never gets you a ring.

You are not alone in your assessment. I am not trying to absolve LaPolice but it seems to me that he can draw up all the plays he wants, but Nichols likely has a couple-three options on almost every play but if he goes into panic mode, nothing is going to work well. 

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

As a fitting footnote, in today's Sun, O'Shea was quoted as saying that he wasn't concerned about the two losses in Ontario. Which leads me to wonder what would it take for him to be concerned. 

Frankly, I'm not overly impressed with either of Osh, Lapo or Hall, which doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy about our chances. If they pull their heads out of their asses I'll be right there to praise them, win or lose, but I haven't seen it lately.

3 hours ago, AKAChip said:

Gotta say, it’s nice to see you coming around. 

What's not to like about Arbuckle? He's a product of the Calgary Stampeders Quarterback Academy. He has got & continues to  great coaching by one of the best in Dickenson. Now, he's p[icking up valuable playing time & gaining experience that he can build upon in the future. With Hufnagel as Dean of the football academy, Dickenson the Head Instructor & Dinwiddie as his assistant. If Arbuckle is a FA next season, there's no way he'll stay in Calgary just to play behind Mitchell.  We should sign him if he's available.

10 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

What's not to like about Arbuckle? He's a product of the Calgary Stampeders Quarterback Academy. He has got & continues to  great coaching by one of the best in Dickenson. Now, he's p[icking up valuable playing time & gaining experience that he can build upon in the future. With Hufnagel as Dean of the football academy, Dickenson the Head Instructor & Dinwiddie as his assistant. If Arbuckle is a FA next season, there's no way he'll stay in Calgary just to play behind Mitchell.  We should sign him if he's available.

I agree completely but you were skeptical of him early on. He may not be lighting the league on fire but he’s legit. Looks better than Nichols with far less offensive talent around him. 

Just now, AKAChip said:

I agree completely but you were skeptical of him early on. He may not be lighting the league on fire but he’s legit. Looks better than Nichols with far less offensive talent around him. 

For a rookie he's doing okay. I doubt if Streveler could do what Arbuckle is doing. My fear isn't losing Streveler. My fear is the present brain trust will decide they'll keep Streveler & pass on other young qbs who might be able to do better. I will say that bringing in someone like Arbuckle would also mean the Bomber braintrust decides to move on from Matt & I don't think our HC & OC would do that unless he totally shats the bed between now & the end of the season. I can see them extending Nichols contract.

7 minutes ago, Tracker said:

I suspect that the Stamps will find a way to keep Arbuckle for at least another year. Mitchell's future is far from assured.

It'll be Arbuckle's call. Dickenson was singing Mitchell's praises as a veteran qb this week &  how much knowledge he has as a veteran in the Stamps system as a qb.  Dickenson said that there's no way he'll  rest him further to save $$$ on salary.  Once he's ready to go then he'll start. Arbuckle will go back to carrying a clipboard in a  couple of weeks which is too bad. as I like seeing a young qb rise to the challenge. One thing is for sure, this will always be Mitchell's team.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Hey Skunk, just a question. Since you think what I said is funny. You really think Streveler is better than Arbuckle? I don't & I also don't think there's any way Big Chris could handle an offense the way the kid in Calgary has. Not a chance. He's still riding the Blue Bomber qb tricycle with training wheels because of our coaches. And you know what? You'll probably never find out if he can.

21 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Hey Skunk, just a question. Since you think what I said is funny. You really think Streveler is better than Arbuckle? I don't & I also don't think there's any way Big Chris could handle an offense the way the kid in Calgary has. Not a chance. He's still riding the Blue Bomber qb tricycle with training wheels because of our coaches. And you know what? You'll probably never find out if he can.

All we can do is watch the games....follow the team...An see what happens. 

An right now I ain't worried if Big Chris is better than beltbuckle... I just want to know if his better than Nichols.

If Big Chris is playing against Richie Hall's D I think he puts up big numbers just like Arbuckle will if Hall keeps the blitz happy parade going. 

3 hours ago, J5V said:

If Big Chris is playing against Richie Hall's D I think he puts up big numbers just like Arbuckle will if Hall keeps the blitz happy parade going. 

Blitzing is fine, and preferred in my books. 

But, if you do that, you have to have the guys behine the front 7 than can play man up, and win the one-one battles. 

Not sure, that anyone not named Rose,  can do that for us.  

Either our players are not playing to expectations set but the coaches, or, the coaches are putting players in positions where they wont succeed on a consistent basis. 

5 hours ago, Dodge and Burn said:

But, if you do that, you have to have the guys behine the front 7 than can play man up, and win the one-one battles. 

Either our players are not playing to expectations set but the coaches, or, the coaches are putting players in positions where they wont succeed on a consistent basis. 

It’s not just that. There are times when the opposition goes with max protect and we keep blitzing. 

6 hours ago, Dodge and Burn said:

Ritchie Hall sucks at blitzing. Yeah he sends guys, but he leaves easy to spot openings so the qb can get rid of the ball. He hopes for a mistake, but the game has evolved and that doesn't work anymore. Honestly I'd blitz less and let our horses on the DL collapse the pocket and make the throws more difficult. 

41 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Ritchie Hall sucks at blitzing. Yeah he sends guys, but he leaves easy to spot openings so the qb can get rid of the ball. He hopes for a mistake, but the game has evolved and that doesn't work anymore. Honestly I'd blitz less and let our horses on the DL collapse the pocket and make the throws more difficult. 

Agreed. The team recruited heavily for the D-line and, as you and others have pointed out, blitzing isn't working, so why keep on with it? Bighill is not up to speed yet, so that is not helping, either. 

8 hours ago, Dodge and Burn said:

I think all of our guys can play man... but Hall calls a hybrid zone/man system that often leaves the flats wide open - so our DBs end up in zone and contain gains mostly if the DL is not getting massive pressure

That's why this team D succeeds in the redbone - there's more opportunity to play man under Hall's schemes

8 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

It feels like both Hall and Lapo are caught in the past and haven't adjusted to the times.

Lapo is an overthinker.  Almost every week we come out with a tactic that works in terms of misdirection, Harris, something that's working easy, and then he shifts away from it and never goes back.