Game Day Thread- Bombers at Arblows

Nolby

2 minutes ago, do or die said:

Hey I am as unhappy, stewing in my gin, as anyone, with the last 2 games.  But have not totally forgotten the total disorganization, disarray, and general incompetence of some recent regimes, round these parts.

Nobody wants a return to those days, especially me, but how many more times do we have to watch this team collapse defensively and look so anemic on offense? I'm hoping its a one time 43 mental errors anomoly never to be seen again but for some reason, I doubt it. Like any fan, I have hope, that'll never change. Just make the playoffs and win out!

44 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Players when signing here have specifically mentioned the culture and coach as 2 big reasons. 

Hall? Lapo? They can piss off anytime but im keeping the guys who have made Winnipeg a free agent destination

Culture and coach attracting players - That is very important, and a big part of building a consistent winner. A definite O'Shea strength. 

Hall and Lapo - that might indicate an O'Shea weakness. Failure to hire top coordinators and/or reluctance to replace them. 

Every coach has strengths and weaknesses. I like O'Shea and he's done well. My rants on this have been just to point out that just being competitive, to me, is not going to be good enough at some point. Not sure what point, but, winning the Grey Cup is the goal. At some point, find me someone who can. 

3 hours ago, M.Silverback said:

I agree with you both. Plus, I like what Walters and O'Shea have done. And, I like consistency in a franchise's coaching and management. But, I also think in a 9 team league it's fair as a ticket buying fan base to expect a championship more than once every 29 years. I get that there are so many factors that go into winning the Grey Cup, with luck being part of it. But, using Calgary as the standard - 3 Grey Cup wins since 2008. That buys management and coaches a lot more leeway. Again, I'm not calling for anyone's jobs. But, at some point competitiveness and getting into the playoffs has to amount to more. And, I guarantee there are coaches out there looking at this team who think they could get us there. 

Mike Kelly, Jeff Reinboldt, Daryl Rogers, Gary Hoffman, and Tim Burke say hello!

1 minute ago, coach17 said:

Mike Kelly, Jeff Reinboldt, Daryl Rogers, Gary Hoffman, and Tim Burke say hello!

Ha! There are other possible coaches with potential to consider in the wide world of football than ones who have already failed as CFL head coaches. I don't have a list off the top of my head, but they exist. Good old Mike O'Shea was one, and has done pretty, pretty well so far. Just saying, let's not anoint him as a present day Belichik quite yet. 

7 minutes ago, J5V said:

Nobody wants a return to those days, especially me, but how many more times do we have to watch this team collapse defensively and look so anemic on offense? I'm hoping its a one time 43 mental errors anomoly never to be seen again but for some reason, I doubt it. Like any fan, I have hope, that'll never change. Just make the playoffs and win out!

they were 5-0 and looking untouchable until the last couple games. Vs Toronto they were back to their old ways through basically the entire 1st half and then fell apart. Do you expect them to be perfect for 18 games? There's gonna be ups and downs...highs and lows......every season. As long as we're in the dance at the end and give ourselves a chance, that's all we can ask for. You have to learn to live with the roller coaster that is a CFL season...

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

they were 5-0 and looking untouchable until the last couple games. Vs Toronto they were back to their old ways through basically the entire 1st half and then fell apart. Do you expect them to be perfect for 18 games? There's gonna be ups and downs...highs and lows......every season. As long as we're in the dance at the end and give ourselves a chance, that's all we can ask for. You have to learn to live with the roller coaster that is a CFL season...

They did not look untouchable........ if the team at that point felt they were untouchable maybe that became the problem.

21 minutes ago, J5V said:

First off... there are 12 defensive positions, even more defensive players due to rotation and such. There are on average 55-60 defensive plays during a game...  That is less than 0.8 players making a mistake per series.  That is not unreasonable by any stretch. Factor in the severity (or lack thereof) of those transgressions and it is not as bad as you make it seem....

Alternatively... it shows an impressive amount of diligence and meticulousness they do in film break down to catch all those errors...

******* GO BLUE BOMBERS!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

14 minutes ago, Noeller said:

and I would much rather they struggle on a road trip on Southern Ontario in the summer than against western opponents in the fall, especially around early September. 

36 minutes ago, Tracker said:

And damned few players loved Wally Buono, Don Matthews, Don Shula, Scotty Bowman, etc etc. Coaching is not a popularity contest and if players can be coached to winning, they will overlook a lot of things. How often have you heard a coach get fired for good reasons and then have heard the players moan about how great the coach was?

All those coaches won. Lots of coaches are unpopular and fade away. 

12 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Yep, good points. The team than inevitably wins it is usually the one that gets hot at the right time. That's where great coaching comes in. The great coaches have a knack of getting their teams to gel when it matters. They also know how to curb extended losing streaks. I need to see O'Shea put a stop to this slide we are on post haste. As a fan I want to have the confidence to know this won't turn into a 4 or 5 game slide. 

18 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

First off... there are 12 defensive positions, even more defensive players due to rotation and such. There are on average 55-60 defensive plays during a game...  That is less than 0.8 players making a mistake per series.  That is not unreasonable by any stretch. Factor in the severity (or lack thereof) of those transgressions and it is not as bad as you make it seem....

Alternatively... it shows an impressive amount of diligence and meticulousness they do in film break down to catch all those errors...

******* GO BLUE BOMBERS!!!!!!!!!!

Well, that’s impressive. Let’s add at least three tasks per play per player - position, playing your guy, running, and tackling...that brings us to 50 plays, 12 players, 3 tasks= 1800 chances for error. And we had only 43? That’s a zero point zero oh two three eight error percentage. .0238%.

9 minutes ago, JCon said:

All those coaches won. Lots of coaches are unpopular and fade away. 

Which reinforces the point that its not a popularity contest but its all about winning championships. 

31 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

and I would much rather they struggle on a road trip on Southern Ontario in the summer than against western opponents in the fall, especially around early September. 

I didn't realize we had that choice, but if we did, sure I'd pick 2 eastern team losses in the summer. Now... where's that 'That's not how it works, that's not how any of this works' clip?

We're 4-1 against below .500 teams, 1-1 against above .500 teams, there are 5 teams above .500 and we're playing one of them tonight.

41 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

Well, that’s impressive. Let’s add at least three tasks per play per player - position, playing your guy, running, and tackling...that brings us to 50 plays, 12 players, 3 tasks= 1800 chances for error. And we had only 43? That’s a zero point zero oh two three eight error percentage. .0238%.

While that amount of screwups sounds impressive as heck, not all of them led to gains for the opposition or scores. However, it bears noting that these were not against a premier team- they were against the worst team in the league who were laughable in their incompetence in previous games. 

19 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I didn't realize we had that choice, but if we did, sure I'd pick 2 eastern team losses in the summer. Now... where's that 'That's not how it works, that's not how any of this works' clip?

We're 4-1 against below .500 teams, 1-1 against above .500 teams, there are 5 teams above .500 and we're playing one of them tonight.

We have to stop the losing. Lose a game here or there, fine, but stringing multiple losses together is unacceptable. I want to see that in his 6th season as a head coach O'Shea has got this thing figured out. He has had more than enough time. Standing on the sidelines smirking as the team falls apart doesn't cut it any more. Never did but I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt early on. Those days are over now. Walters has given him the players and coaches he wanted. No more excuses. 

9 minutes ago, J5V said:

We have to stop the losing. Lose a game here or there, fine, but stringing multiple losses together is unacceptable. I want to see that in his 6th season as a head coach O'Shea has got this thing figured out. He has had more than enough time. Standing on the sidelines smirking as the team falls apart doesn't cut it any more. Never did but I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt early on. Those days are over now. Walters has given him the players and coaches he wanted. No more excuses. 

Losses to any team are inevitable, but against whom and how badly the team plays in the losses have to be critical criteria for assessing the coaching. Had the Bombers even split in Ontario and had played well, this game tonight would have had an entirely different flavour. O'Shea's expressions on the sidelines are entirely moot. How well the team plays is all that matters and for two games in a row, they have not played well. A loss tonight would be bad, but a replay of either of the two Ontario games would be a disaster.

If Nichols is hot garbage coming out of the chute tonight and O'Shea does nothing I can see the fans calling for both of their heads. 

If the D can't stop anything Hall's head will be called for too. 

The only acceptable scenario that contains a Bomber loss will be if both teams play well and the Stamps pull out a close one. Even then, if its a case of Nichols not being able to put a late drive together to win it there may be no mercy from the faithful. 

This may seem to be an unfair set of circumstances but the Bombers have no one else to blame but themselves because of the previous two outings. A loss means 3 losses in a row and official free fall in the standings. 

They need to play well and win tonight. They are at home in front of their fans, playing the defending champs, and playing for 1st place. Let's see if they are contenders or pretenders.

3 games ago, Nichols was looking like the second coming of Ricky Ray....and now we're running him outta town. I refuse to believe he's just completely lost it in that amount of time. There's greater things at play here...

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

3 games ago, Nichols was looking like the second coming of Ricky Ray....and now we're running him outta town. I refuse to believe he's just completely lost it in that amount of time. There's greater things at play here...

Head stuff works that way. You can be ok and have the rug yanked out from under you in any number of different ways and have a hard time regaining your mojo. 

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Bomber fans have been spoiled by some great QBs over the years. Bob was just saying Matt has just one 300 yard game in the last 26 games or something crazy like that. That's amazing. I have always defended Matt as a game manager but when even that eludes him he doesn't have much to stand on. 

8 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Hes hurt. Broken finger or hand or something. Last week especially the ball looked off coming out of his hands. 

Just now, J5V said:

Bomber fans have been spoiled by some great QBs over the years. Bob was just saying Matt has just one 300 yard game in the last 26 games or something crazy like that. That's amazing. I have always defended Matt as a game manager but when even that eludes him he doesn't have much to stand on. 

295 a few weeks ago. Pulled him with 5 left

1 minute ago, J5V said:

With a stat like that, for the /bombers to win, they need an outstanding running game coupled with a lethal defence.