Matt Nichols Discredited Too Much? Passing Yards Are Meaningless

Heading into Labour Day we have...

- Ham coming off a bye... Bombers should get up on them early

- Toronto will never get it together

- Calgary will be on a short week - after facing Edmonton

- BC also on a short week - on the road after Hamilton

- Edmonton - no advantage...

At worst, there's two losses in there if you get a trap game... but the Bombers could be rolling after facing some 'good' teams

14 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Bombers, Ticats, Eskimos, Stamps (Even without BLM), maybe and surprisingly Montreal.

Calgary has three wins against the three worst teams in the league, needing a miracle to beat BC, and lost to the team we just finished destroying, with Bo Levi in that game no less. How exactly are they a “good team”? 

And funnily enough, the Ticats should have lost to this Calgary team. I’ll still include Ham in the good team category because you can’t ignore their record and, well, there’s so few teams that we can even call good at this point. 

6 hours ago, O2L said:

Calgary has three wins against the three worst teams in the league, needing a miracle to beat BC, and lost to the team we just finished destroying, with Bo Levi in that game no less. How exactly are they a “good team”? 

And funnily enough, the Ticats should have lost to this Calgary team. I’ll still include Ham in the good team category because you can’t ignore their record and, well, there’s so few teams that we can even call good at this point. 

Funny that you recognize that beating bad teams doesn't mean that much when it comes to Calgary, but not when it comes to Winnipeg.

I'll restate. There are 2 good teams Bombers and Ticats, 3 2nd tier teams and the rest a bad.

8 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Funny that you recognize that beating bad teams doesn't mean that much when it comes to Calgary, but not when it comes to Winnipeg.

I'll restate. There are 2 good teams Bombers and Ticats, 3 2nd tier teams and the rest a bad.

I don't think it's restating anything when all you did when asked who good teams were was list 5 teams.....

The standard you have set for the bombers is kind of dumb... there are no good teams for them to beat. Hamilton hasn't beaten anyone good and lost to someone they shouldn't have. If winnipef beats them they're just stuck being a team at 2 losses with a bunch of unimpressive wins. 

It's not a super strong year in the CFL so far, but the Bombers are pretty clearly the most rounded and deepest team thus far.

57 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I don't think it's restating anything when all you did when asked who good teams were was list 5 teams.....

The standard you have set for the bombers is kind of dumb... there are no good teams for them to beat. Hamilton hasn't beaten anyone good and lost to someone they shouldn't have. If winnipef beats them they're just stuck being a team at 2 losses with a bunch of unimpressive wins. 

It's not a super strong year in the CFL so far, but the Bombers are pretty clearly the most rounded and deepest team thus far.

The standard I set was for the bottom teams, not for the Bombers who I've consistently had at #1.

The combined record for Ottawa, BC and Toronto is 3-12. One of those games was between TO and BC so one team had to get a win. They are the 3 worst teams in the league right now and no... it's not just cuz we played them.

Hamilton, Calgary, Regina and Montreal are all better than Ottawa, BC and Toronto. It may not make them good teams, but they are better than the teams we've played except for Edmonton.

7 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

The standard I set was for the bottom teams, not for the Bombers who I've consistently had at #1.

The combined record for Ottawa, BC and Toronto is 3-12. One of those games was between TO and BC so one team had to get a win. They are the 3 worst teams in the league right now and no... it's not just cuz we played them.

Hamilton, Calgary, Regina and Montreal are all better than Ottawa, BC and Toronto. It may not make them good teams, but they are better than the teams we've played except for Edmonton.

Interesting looking at this view...

Edmonton has only beaten Toronto, BC and Montreal (Week 1)...  wonder if they are not a bit of smoke and mirrors

Sask has lost to everyone except TO and BC...

RedBlacks on 3 game losing streak since the Bye... mostly thanks to Bombers - but their wins are against Calgary and Ask

Calgary hasn't beaten a good team yet...

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

You listed “good” teams, which I responded to. Neither you, nor I, said anything about the bombers, hence why I didn’t comment on the quality of their opponents, but if you’d like me to do that, here we go:

Much like every team in the league that has at least one win, the Bombers have beaten Toronto and B.C., two of the three worst teams. The other of the three worst teams is Saskatchewan, who the Bombers have not played, not Ottawa, as you suggested. Ottawa has beaten both Calgary and Saskatchewan, and we destroyed that team twice. And of course, we beat Edmonton as well. 

So once again, Hamilton and Montreal are the only real unknowns when it comes to “good” teams that we haven’t played. Edmonton beat Montreal, and Hamilton needed two kick return touchdowns, which is incredibly rare, to beat Calgary and had a game go down to the wire against a terrible Sask team playing their third string quarterback.

As it stands right now, the Bombers have beaten more quality opponents on average than any other team, largely because they’ve won five games. Yes, Montreal has beaten Hamilton and Edmonton, but Hamilton and Edmonton have both also beaten Montreal, making them all relatively even. 

When we beat Edmonton, they were undefeated. Same with the first time we beat Ottawa. Three weeks ago Montreal was considered one of the worst teams in the league, and frankly, winning with 20 points shouldn’t get everyone so excited. We can’t keep moving the goalposts from week to week, especially when the Bombers don’t make their own schedule. The reality is that every team has beaten on the bad teams, and the Bombers have beaten on everyone they’ve played thus far, including a good and average team. If winning five games in a row was easy then we wouldn’t be the only undefeated team in the league. 

Agree to disagree on Ottawa. One of their 2 wins is smoke and mirrors. They shouldn't have beaten Calgary, especially considering Davis threw 4 Ints. 3rd preseason game IMO. Riders aren't very good, but they're better than Ottawa.

Bombers beat 1 quality team so far, Edmonton.

I'm looking forward to this weeks game to see how we do against another good team.

We could be 18-0 and Grey Cup champs and some fans are only going to talk about how bad we'll be next year for whatever reason they have invented in their heads. Just the way it is. Success just means that there is a letdown right around the corner.

16 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

25 out of 25 people in this weeks poll are picking Ottawa to lose to Calgary and I haven't voted yet. It looks like everyone thinks that Ottawa is bad.

More so since we exposed Ottawa and Jonathan Jennings for who they are...

26 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

25 out of 25 people in this weeks poll are picking Ottawa to lose to Calgary and I haven't voted yet. It looks like everyone thinks that Ottawa is bad.

9 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

More so since we exposed Ottawa and Jonathan Jennings for who they are...

That's just it.  If Davis was the starting QB the poll would probably look very different, but now we have the "Jennings effect".  Most of us will recognize that, but there will be some for whom reality will never alter perception.

Is is better if I say we've won 4 out of our 5 games against 3 of the bottom 4 teams in the league to take into account that folks think Regina is worse than Ottawa?

As for never admitting when I'm wrong... Not true. I grossly over estimated how good BC would be this year and I changed my mind once I saw them play. For a Bomber reference.. I didn't think Nichols would get back to 2017 form and he has.

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

You keep saying that like it's what I've been saying, which of course isn't true. (See Dilbert Cartoon)

Get over yourself, that comment had nothing to do with you, that's my opinion on the state of the league right now. It's a bunch of flawed teams except for the bombers.