Banjo Bowl

I'm a big fan of the area inside the Forks...I think it's called "The Common" or something? They've got a bunch of great beers on tap, and then you can order whatever food you want from the various restaurants that are set up around there (kinda like a food court with great beer available...)  We almost always hit that up when we're home...

23 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I'm a big fan of the area inside the Forks...I think it's called "The Common" or something? They've got a bunch of great beers on tap, and then you can order whatever food you want from the various restaurants that are set up around there (kinda like a food court with great beer available...)  We almost always hit that up when we're home...

Great vibe here.

28 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Good news! They've expanded it outside! There are 250 patio seats and a place to procure drinks in the area between the market, the canopy, and the river.

23 minutes ago, nate007 said:

Good news! They've expanded it outside! There are 250 patio seats and a place to procure drinks in the area between the market, the canopy, and the river.

I applied for a job with Travel Manitoba one time, and was legitimately concerned with how much time I would spend at that place on a weekly basis.....this new patio area would kill my liver and get me fired.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

I applied for a job with Travel Manitoba one time, and was legitimately concerned with how much time I would spend at that place on a weekly basis.....this new patio area would kill my liver and get me fired.

Maybe you could convince them to get some 2.5% radlers on tap to moderate the alcohol intake a little...

20 hours ago, NorthernSkunk said:

I have been revisiting this post to find out where else to go...   a couple suggestions but that's it.

Let's not forget Red Top on St. Mary.

Downtown has a bad rap from the 90s but it's nothing like it used to be. The kids don't have nearly the same perception people 40+ years old do because generally older people are out of touch. A lot of the bad rap that Downtown HAS is from older people that are self loathing and think it's 1996.

The bars/restaurants et al are awesome.

The exchange district is as nice as anywhere in Canada. There'll be free outdoor shows at the cube.

The forks gets 4 million tourists a year now. Pretty safe bet that you'll enjoy it.

(I'm in the tourism business. I do this all day)

Edited by Dr Zaius

1 hour ago, Dr Zaius said:

Downtown has a bad rap from the 90s but it's nothing like it used to be. The kids don't have nearly the same perception people 40+ years old do because generally older people are out of touch. A lot of the bad rap that Downtown HAS is from older people that are self loathing and think it's 1996.

The bars/restaurants et al are awesome.

The exchange district is as nice as anywhere in Canada. There'll be free outdoor shows at the cube.

The forks gets 4 million tourists a year now. Pretty safe bet that you'll enjoy it.

(I'm in the tourism business. I do this all day)

As a tourism pro, I bet some of your success (if you have any) relies on the business of your out of touch, "self loathing" 40 + year olds. What a ridiculous statement to make.

5 minutes ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

As a tourism pro, I bet some of your success (if you have any) relies on the business of your out of touch, "self loathing" 40 + year olds. What a ridiculous statement to make.

If you go into the exchange any old day of the week his perception of it being relatively devoid of the 40+ age category is pretty correct.... although I would probably push the number a little higher (maybe 45+)

The fact is that if you were a young adult or older in the 90's Winnipeg's downtown was simultaneously not nice AND had almost nothing worth going to.  The core has made a SIGNIFICANT turnaround in the last 20 years and people who had strong opinions about it from the 90's are only recently starting to realize that things have changed.

3 hours ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

Lol.

Over 40 and under 40 have MASSIVELY different travel styles. Women over 40 drive 75% of tourism/souvenir dollars. Does that mean their opinion of downtown carries more weight?

Of course not. They're not the ones watching shows and drinking 16 beers a night.

Sorry if you're offended as an obvious 40+er, but, know what? I'm ALSO over 40. *GASP* 

Edited by Dr Zaius

3 hours ago, BomberfanMKS said:

If you go into the exchange any old day of the week his perception of it being relatively devoid of the 40+ age category is pretty correct.... although I would probably push the number a little higher (maybe 45+)

The fact is that if you were a young adult or older in the 90's Winnipeg's downtown was simultaneously not nice AND had almost nothing worth going to.  The core has made a SIGNIFICANT turnaround in the last 20 years and people who had strong opinions about it from the 90's are only recently starting to realize that things have changed.

Bingo. Also EVERY public opinion poll of over 40 has a 35%-45% negative perception of downtown, where EVERY poll of under 40 has a 20ish% negative perception of downtown.

Things change. Especially in the last 8 years when one company (true north) has single handedly has a multi-BILLION dollar injection/influence to the economy 

People struggle to change. Especially 40+ year olds

Edited by Dr Zaius

11 hours ago, Brandon said:

Let's not kid ourselves Winnipeg's downtown is still a dump. It's just less dumpy lol.

Can't change overnight, but they're definitely making strides. The biggest thing was putting the arena down there as a revitalization project. The new high end hotel they're gonna build right by the arena, along with the TN Square project will also help. Baby steps, but they're definitely trying and it's definitely working. 

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

Can't change overnight, but they're definitely making strides. The biggest thing was putting the arena down there as a revitalization project. The new high end hotel they're gonna build right by the arena, along with the TN Square project will also help. Baby steps, but they're definitely trying and it's definitely working. 

Winnipeg has come a long way from where it was when I left there 35 years ago. 

3 hours ago, Gotmilt said:

This is a football forum, I don't claim to be a restauranteur but I can tell you there are thousands of good restaurants in Winnipeg.

It's a football forum that tolerates an inordinate amount of " wood " jokes..... I'm sure a bit of conversation about where to eat in the city can be tolerated until the next Bomber game.  But really..."thousands"......  

51 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

It's a football forum that tolerates an inordinate amount of " wood " jokes..... I'm sure a bit of conversation about where to eat in the city can be tolerated until the next Bomber game.  But really..."thousands"......  

at least thousands, there is getting close to 1 million people living here. Just because you don't leave Portage avenue doesn't mean there aren't restaurants on every street in winnipeg. 

42 minutes ago, Gotmilt said:

at least thousands, there is getting close to 1 million people living here. Just because you don't leave Portage avenue doesn't mean there aren't restaurants on every street in winnipeg. 

What makes you think I don't leave portage ave ?  And I am not arguing.... but I am waiting for you to name some.

Cheap St. James guy here...

Burger Place at Portage and Rutland or Cindy's on Portage at Arlington for Fatboy style burgers... Dairi-wip on Marion too...

Tuxedo Village on Corydon for Greek (although Olympia on Portage has the best tzatziki)...

Colosseo on Corydon for Italian...

Little Bones Wings in the basement of the Royal George in TCona... that's a fun one.

One Great City sold me on chicken and waffles for life. I never understood it til I had it there.