Depth Charts

Floyd

50 minutes ago, Booch said:

if there is s surprise d-line cut it will be Nevis..or Roh...or both..Bryant is younger and cheaper than both, and way more upside and the last 6 ganes of year probably one of the best DT's in the league..Roh is expendable once Kongbo is healthy as it frees up a DI spot...and again...no need to "start" a national at DT...why make yourself weaker if you don't have to?..Richardson..Bryant..Nevis...offer wayyyyy more than Thomas...his time was already done last year but an injury got him back...he is on his last legs now...and will be lucky to make roster

I don't necessarily disagree but I think the coaches do... Thomas has been working his way onto the #1 DL at practice this week, beside Nevis.

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

I personally dont see Thomas making the team. Think he will be the "surprise" cut of the year.

I can't imagine that happening... everything I've read (yes, not with my own eyes) says hes having a great camp... and we all know O'Shea likes his veterans...

Lol @ Thomas being cut. We've heard nothing but how good he's been in camp YET AGAIN this year. I'll never understand this hate on people have for CIS guys that weren't high draft picks. Not only will Fatboi make it, he'll play a lot of snaps... 

Don't get it twisted. I have no hate for Thomas. But the writing is on the wall. They drafted 3 DL this year for a reason. Depth certainly being one of them, sure. But as much as I love Thomas he only made the grade last year after an injury to someone else, and he had a tremendous camp then as well. At the end of the day, we have 7 starting NI's without him. And at least 1 CND who has playing experience with 3 more that have way more upside behind him. There's likely minimal cost savings with cutting him, but the young guns will need reps, whether in game or practice.

Hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see a point in keeping him.

Thomas has not worked his way to the #1 tackle spot beside Nevis...thats almost funny to say that Thomas is beating Bryant..there are glowing reports from the "reporters" all the time about guys who get ousted in first round of cuts...or final cuts and guys stick who never got a word of press from our beat writers...Also havnt heard Hall or Oshea say as such either...other than having a good camp but they say that about everyone...he may stick and get reps...but no way is he being the 80 percent snaps guy in the middle

Our Canadians with significant starting experience are currently Harris, Neufeld, Demski, and Wolitarsky. Hecht and Couture also have some limited experience as starters. Geoff Gray is essentially a rookie... Derek Jones, Brady Oliveira, Tui Eli, Cody Speller, Petermann and Simonise all could potentially start... but potential can go either way.

It would be unwise to cut Thomas. At the very least, he gives us flexibility in case we get hit with a rash of injuries to our starting Canadians.

well sometimes in a small roster league and a small SMS restrained league rookies start or lesser experienced guys step into the fray..just because you have to make it all work...regardless...there is no need to start a canadian defensive tackle to meet ratio..there will be a national at safety and 2 nationals replacing the departed o-lineman..especially with Foketti missing in action..a interior with Couture/Speller and Gray is less likely to have hiccups than a new American at guard who would be totally fresh to Canadian ball

So there is really only a need for one National Dtackle on the roster...like has been done the last few years to meet ratio of 22 guys....maaaybe 2 depending on what skillset they possess...so at somepoint the newbies (griffith/Kongbo) will be given their chance to cut their teeth as they have more upside..and ability...Jake may stick at first..but he shouldn't feel to secure, and he is not a 75% or more snap a game guy as has been shown with extended use he peters out and is just muscled around..10-15 reps a game he is adequate, not sensational but so would be Forde..Kongbo wheh healthy or Griffith..

1 minute ago, bigg jay said:

If he doesn't make the club out of camp, it wouldn't be much different than last year when he wasn't re-signed in the office season.  The club will tell him to keep his phone on & stay in shape so they can bring him back if needed.

If Jake or almost any of the Bomber castoffs are will to relocate, they will certainly be scooped up by at least three other CFL teams.

1 minute ago, Tracker said:

If Jake or almost any of the Bomber castoffs are will to relocate, they will certainly be scooped up by at least three other CFL teams.

Could have happened to Jake last year too when he wasn't re-signed in the off-season but that was a risk they were willing to take.

4 minutes ago, Tracker said:

didn't seem like anyone was willing to scoop him up last year...to me that says something and don't even go thee with he was waiting for the right opportunity, or more coin...and if that was the case it was just a matter of a team offering him minimum salary and I guess he didn't like that...if Marouff didn't get hurt last year...he would of been just a memory and I bet out of football

44 minutes ago, Booch said:

Thomas has not worked his way to the #1 tackle spot beside Nevis...thats almost funny to say that Thomas is beating Bryant..there are glowing reports from the "reporters" all the time about guys who get ousted in first round of cuts...or final cuts and guys stick who never got a word of press from our beat writers...Also havnt heard Hall or Oshea say as such either...other than having a good camp but they say that about everyone...he may stick and get reps...but no way is he being the 80 percent snaps guy in the middle

Jump to 6:10 of the following interview, shore sounds like a glowing endorsement for Jake.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2019/05/27/coach-oshea-may-27/

nothing out of ordinary..when asked about a player they glow about em all....whens the last time yuou heard...he slow out of the blocks...horrible hands..couldnt catch a cold...he's in tough with ratio/sms/youth, i doubt he sticks...never...and how many times have we heard accolades outta coaches and media's yappers only to scratch our heads when they are cut...too many times to count..thats why you shouldnt read too much into comments...he was so glowing he wasn't resigned last year...think about that...he is not getting better at this stage in career...only declining unless he is on a strict fitness regime..using HGH and othe PED'S and looking at him...that doesn't appear to be the case..

37 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Don't get it twisted. I have no hate for Thomas. But the writing is on the wall. They drafted 3 DL this year for a reason. Depth certainly being one of them, sure. But as much as I love Thomas he only made the grade last year after an injury to someone else, and he had a tremendous camp then as well. At the end of the day, we have 7 starting NI's without him. And at least 1 CND who has playing experience with 3 more that have way more upside behind him. There's likely minimal cost savings with cutting him, but the young guns will need reps, whether in game or practice.

Hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see a point in keeping him.

Trust.  People go on about OShea loving veterans.  Veterans have earned trust.

Draft picks show enough talent, they earn a roster spot.  Once they've earned a roster spot they get put in situations to earn trust.  Or a guy gets injured like Macho Harris and they get thrown into the fire and get their chance to earn trust in large doses like Taylor Loffler.

Evaluating talent while balancing the salary cap while maintaining the starting ratio while meeting the roster ratio while trying to have all positions backed up for in-game injuries is always a tall task and makes for roster decisions that other sports leagues wouldn't necessarily make.

If a rookie looks way better than a vet he's probably getting the job.  I haven't heard any report claiming a NI DT is looking better than Thomas right now, but the reporters at the stadium usually aren't facing the field...nice gig if you can get it I suppose.

These rookies who are getting jobs while Thomas is getting cut...they haven't even played an exhibition game yet.  Their first real opportunity to dethrone Thomas and take his job is tomorrow night.  We'll see how they do.  They are the shiny new cars to Thomas' 7 year old body with bald tires and a little rust.  I get the shiny new cars look nice and everyone wants to trade the 7 year old car in for one.  A seven year old Camry is probably more reliable than a shiny new Lada, and coaches are really into reliability.

30 minutes ago, Booch said:

didn't seem like anyone was willing to scoop him up last year...to me that says something and don't even go thee with he was waiting for the right opportunity, or more coin...and if that was the case it was just a matter of a team offering him minimum salary and I guess he didn't like that...if Marouff didn't get hurt last year...he would of been just a memory and I bet out of football

Bit of revisionist history I think...  Ekakitie 'beat out' Thomas in the off-season - they gave the $$ pegged for Thomas to Faith... then when he was not in shape leading up to camp the Bombers brought Thomas back

It was Thomas v. Ekakitie not Marouf...

4 minutes ago, Booch said:

nothing out of ordinary..when asked about a player they glow about em all....whens the last time yuou heard...he slow out of the blocks...horrible hands..couldnt catch a cold...he's in tough with ratio/sms/youth, i doubt he sticks...never...and how many times have we heard accolades outta coaches and media's yappers only to scratch our heads when they are cut...too many times to count..thats why you shouldnt read too much into comments...he was so glowing he wasn't resigned last year...think about that...he is not getting better at this stage in career...only declining unless he is on a strict fitness regime..using HGH and othe PED'S and looking at him...that doesn't appear to be the case..

Thomas sounds like he's getting more reps with the 1's than anyone else... that says more than anything...

I'd rather see Bryant and Richardson but Thomas has definitely been a guy 'singled' out for praise by the coaches - guys who are not 'in favour' just don't get mentioned...

Who knows...but if thats the end result then our import tackles must have made a serious regression from last year and Richardson isn't as good as his camp reports...even though I have heard more good things about him than Thomas from coaches..and players..

Would be a major step back for our defense as well..

6 minutes ago, Booch said:

Who knows...but if thats the end result then our import tackles must have made a serious regression from last year and Richardson isn't as good as his camp reports...even though I have heard more good things about him than Thomas from coaches..and players..

Would be a major step back for our defense as well..

Well... it is starting to look like Hecht has the inside track on the safety spot.... sssooo there's that...

9 minutes ago, Booch said:

True enough, but I expect O'Shea to hold his position firmly until Walters presents him with the rational to adopt a different opinion.....which he will enthusiastically embrace whilst simultaneously griping about how much he hates to make tough personnel decisions. 😄

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

to me sounds like they may be splitting reps depending on the scheme...but who kows...its week one basically of camp so who knows whats up or down

I just see Hecht seemingly penciled in to start the pre-season game - maybe that will change - and it just seems like Jones could use as many reps as possible in that spot

still tho...we don't need to start a national at DT as we will at safety...safety is the better place to put an inferior National than right up the middle..as we have seen in years pst with the Hurl Thomas combo..when they were in watch some film..teams ran right at/through them.

We are a much MUCH stronger team with a front of Jeff squared and Nevis and Bryant..with a Jones/Hecht safety combo than we are with a jeff sguared Thomas and Whomever front with an American safety...and anyone who thinks otherwise I don't know what to say...and really startiing 8 nationals with 2 on defenses doesn't eally do much for us as how it stands now we can freely swap an import in wherever as long as its not for whatever national is on the field...makes zero sense to start a national there unless they are leaps and bounds the best player avalaible, and sorry to say for all the Jake lovers...he's not the 2nd best DT on the team...5th maybe

1 minute ago, Booch said:

still tho...we don't need to start a national at DT as we will at safety...safety is the better place to put an inferior National than right up the middle..as we have seen in years pst with the Hurl Thomas combo..when they were in watch some film..teams ran right at/through them.

We are a much MUCH stronger team with a front of Jeff squared and Nevis and Bryant..with a Jones/Hecht safety combo than we are with a jeff sguared Thomas and Whomever front with an American safety...and anyone who thinks otherwise I don't know what to say...and really startiing 8 nationals with 2 on defenses doesn't eally do much for us as how it stands now we can freely swap an import in wherever as long as its not for whatever national is on the field...makes zero sense to start a national there unless they are leaps and bounds the best player avalaible, and sorry to say for all the Jake lovers...he's not the 2nd best DT on the team...5th maybe

I'm actually not arguing this point at all...  but I've watched Hurl get inexplicably pencilled in and watched Osh play 8-9 CDNs when we don't really need to either... so  I'll stick with a Thomas and Richardson or Bryant rotation on the roster for now...