Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

SanchezDavis2Verified account @DavisSanchez
FollowFollow @DavisSanchez
More

Sources tell me #Redblacks are so disgruntled because of the way former OC Jamie Elizondo departed. They believe Elizondo had known for sometime he was leaving to #XFL yet didn’t inform the organization. Instead stayed on staff therefore was a part of coaches meetings & planning. Sense is this stems from the teams refusal to allow Elizondo to interview for the Riders HC job a few months back . I reached out to Elizondo today and he didn’t want to comment

18 minutes ago, Noeller said:
SanchezDavis2Verified account @DavisSanchez
FollowFollow @DavisSanchez
More

Sources tell me #Redblacks are so disgruntled because of the way former OC Jamie Elizondo departed. They believe Elizondo had known for sometime he was leaving to #XFL yet didn’t inform the organization. Instead stayed on staff therefore was a part of coaches meetings & planning. Sense is this stems from the teams refusal to allow Elizondo to interview for the Riders HC job a few months back . I reached out to Elizondo today and he didn’t want to comment

oOXDJDU.jpg

Could that mean in relation to total number of injuries? In other words, football has a greater number of injuries and “brain trauma” would be a lower percentage than a non-contact sport such as girls’ ringette or girls’ soccer for instance. ???

3 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Could that mean in relation to total number of injuries? In other words, football has a greater number of injuries and “brain trauma” would be a lower percentage than a non-contact sport such as girls’ ringette or girls’ soccer for instance. ???

There are many issues here. One - some programs take concussions very seriously and record everything. That's not true with football and hockey (in Manitoba). It's ongoing problem and parents are part of it. 

Second - we don't measure micro-concussions but the science is evolving. Helmet technology in football is recording the impacts that linemen take on each play. It's not enough force to cause visible concussion symptoms but researchers are connecting these micro-concussions to long-term health issues. Unfortunately, you can't study someones brain until their dead and, unfortunately, they're getting lots of samples. 

Third - We only record when we see something and pull them off the field or ice. They can't even get this right at the professional level, so what makes you think they're getting this right at amateur level. 

** Studied concussions as part of health policy and have met with doctors, sports orgs, and manufacturers of impact measurement devices. Also read emerging health research on the issue. 

Marshall Ferguson's Mock 2.0: A new No. 1 pick?

mathieu-betts-2018-1-800x451.jpg

4. WINNIPEG (VIA BC)
MATHIEU BETTS
DL | LAVAL

Some at the CFL Combine were less than thrilled that Mathieu Betts pulled the plug on his appearance at the last second. That can sometimes hurt the draft stock but I don’t think it will with Betts.

His raw size and motor are undeniable and could easily lead to him being taken over Smith but I sent Betts the Bombers way for the simple fact he could learn a lot from the leadership of linebacker Adam Bighill and refine his pass rushing working behind Willie Jefferson.

The Bombers lost defensive lineman Trent Corney in the off-season after the 25-year-old decided to retire following missing all but three games last season with an injury. Betts would be a natural plug and play replacement for the energy Corney brought off the edge.

hergy-mayala-2018-1-800x451.jpg

5. WINNIPEG
HERGY MAYALA
REC | UCONN

Despite all the – deserving – noise surrounding the talented crop of U SPORTS receivers this year there is no doubt in my mind after watching him play that UCONN’s Hergy Mayala is the most refined and ready to play CFL Draft eligible receiver in 2019.

Mayala has a unique combination of smooth suddenness to his game that few others can offer and would work nicely in with Rashaun Simonise and Drew Wolitarsky for the Bombers.

Disingenuous at best 

Comparing apples to bowling shoes  

Good example of how you can burn stats to prove any point

Yes girls ringette has too many concussions- over the 12 or so years I coached both ringette and hockey - I had about 7 or 8 kids missing ringette due to head injuries for every 1 from hockey

But this has more to do with how ringette prioritizes officiating and the craptacular job they do in monitoring above the waist contact

If he is using the same public health data from univ of alberta I've seen, which shows slips and falls account for double the ER visits for head injuries vs all sports combined - I guess we should all stop walking in the winter? 

Disingenuous at best 

Comparing apples to bowling shoes  

Good example of how you can burn stats to prove any point

Yes girls ringette has too many concussions- over the 12 or so years I coached both ringette and hockey - I had about 7 or 8 kids missing ringette due to head injuries for every 1 from hockey

But this has more to do with how ringette prioritizes officiating and the craptacular job they do in monitoring above the waist contact

If he is using the same public health data from univ of alberta I've seen, which shows slips and falls account for double the ER visits for head injuries vs all sports combined - I guess we should all stop walking in the winter? 

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

"that's why girls don't play the game coach"

I suspect it's a case of people not being prepared for contact that happens. 

I didn't think ringette was a contact sport?  In hockey up to age 13 body contact is not permitted but still plenty of opportunities for concussions from players losing their balance and crashing into the boards or goal posts, I imagine it's much the same for ringette.  Anecdotally I was speaking with a coach in his early 40's at a hockey camp this past weekend that played up to semi-pro in Europe, he said he suffered 7-8 concussions that he could count, with the end result being he has absolutely no recall of childhood memories before the age of 14.  Other than that blank space he claims to be symptom free.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

9 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

The entire issue with concussion data is the REPORTING of concussions. How accurate are your stats when you have no indication as to the number of UNREPORTED concussions in any and all sports.

That is a huge issue. Also, defining and determining what a concussion is. 

4 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Ambroise is just sticking to the script. Anyone who expects him to say otherwise isn't living in reality.

He could easily deflect and say that player safety is of the utmost concern of the CFL and CFLPA blah, blah, blah... 

But, bringing dodgy stats about ringette into the fray just opens him up to more criticism.