Next Game vs Calgary Here

USABomberfan

22 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

He did more than enough to win the semi final last year.  Not his fault we lost.  There's no reason to say that he can't "bring it" in the playoffs.

I'd say anyone with half a brain and an iota of football knowledge who watched the WSF last year and the year before can confidently say Nichols wasn't the problem in either instance.

But apparently, there are some who lack brains and football knowledge.

1 hour ago, trueBlue83 said:

As far as the offence being designed on being short yardage plays.... I think that has as much to do with having a starting QB with limited arm strength as it does "LaPo's style".  Like you have your problems with LaPo, I see nothing more than an average QB in Nichols, and have thought so since middle of last season!

You will notice I didn't just put it on lapo... I mentioned our receivers too. Dressler and demski are both best suited to taking short passes, wolitarski is not really a deep guy, they never thrown deep to Thompkins, so that really leaves Adams as the teams best bet to pick up big chunks of yardage, and he is inconsistent. So given all that, why are we expecting bit numbers from any QB? Just not in the cards the way this team is built. Hell some of the best throws Nichols has made all year have been in that intermediate range so don't give me this nonsense about not having the arm strength to run a different offense.

22 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I'd say anyone with half a brain and an iota of football knowledge who watched the WSF last year and the year before can confidently say Nichols wasn't the problem in either instance.

But apparently, there are some who lack brains and football knowledge.

I'd say anyone who is not so needy that he needs people to react to his posts would say the same thing, but some people love to seek attention, negative or otherwise, and so our skunky friend trolls merrily along.

Edited by WBBFanWest

2 hours ago, JCon said:

Do you even read what you write? 

Yes he's been a disappointment this season and one of the worst starting qbs this season?  Show me where I'm wrong?   The expectations of him were to perform much better then what he has done so far this year.   The only qb who has disappointed more based on expectations is ZC.   

Stop trying so hard. 

Just now, Brandon said:

Yes he's been a disappointment this season and one of the worst starting qbs this season?  Show me where I'm wrong?   The expectations of him were to perform much better then what he has done so far this year.   The only qb who has disappointed more based on expectations is ZC.   

Stop trying so hard. 

Whatever. He's not one of the worst. I pointed out several worse and there are more. Stop trying so hard to make everything Nichols fault.

Out and done. 

1 minute ago, JCon said:

Whatever. He's not one of the worst. I pointed out several worse and there are more. Stop trying so hard to make everything Nichols fault.

Out and done. 

I didn't say everything was his fault?   I said he hasn't performed this season to expectations and most people would agree.      

A few things:

Khari got 300 yard games in PLAP's offense. Nichols got 300 yard games in PLAP's offense, just last year. Why is it unfair to expect Nichols to get 300 yard games in PLAP's offense this year?

It's not that PLAP doesn't call deep balls, it's that Nichols isn't very good at completing them (17/57 - 29.8%. Masoli 49/101 - 45.8%, Harris 33/89 - 37.1%). If Nichols was as good as Harris, he'd likely have at least 1 300 yard game this year.

All losses aren't Nichols fault. Some of the losses, however are. The back to back Riders games are examples. A lot of fault goes to Nichols for those games.

All wins aren't because Nichols played great. Some of the wins are. The Ottawa game where he drove us for a TD in OT was one of the wins that he had a lot to do with, although I'd give the game ball to Bighill for the strip that saved it for us.

In the 2017 playoff loss, most of Nichols stats were yards after beat down. All Edmonton wanted to do was get out with a win so they played soft zone.

No, Nichols isn't the worst starting QB in the league. Yes, Nichols is better than Willy. Neither point makes Nichols better than Masoli or Harris, which is what the original question was.

I don't expect Nichols to win games by himself. I don't blame him for all losses. I don't expect him to make zero mistakes. I understand that more risk means a higher chance of picks. That's not the narrative folks. It's just what fans say is the narrative is so they can poo poo it.

The real fact is that no one knows how many games Streveler would have won.We might be in the same, worse, or better playoff playoff position if Streveler had started all the games.

If Streveler would have been starting our record would be worse off. He's still a young guy, who takes alot of chances like Manziel.

Sure he's faster on his feet, but alot of his big run plays and whatnot have been designed plays, not broken plays that he made into something else.

My gut says he would throw up a ton of interceptions and we'd lose some close ones.

Give him a few years and he will be solid. 

2 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

I'd say anyone who is not so needy that he needs people to react to his posts would say the same thing, but some people love to seek attention, negative or otherwise, and so our skunky friend trolls merrily along.

Jus for the record.  I don't care about reactions that I receive.  I do like to let others know when I agree with their comments so I will give likes An such.......and I give out the trophy thingy so I can keep count how many times people have referenced or used my screen name in their post.  

8 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

We're talking QB's and folks say our QB is better because he won more games. OK, I'll think about that for a second...

If either Harris or Masoli were our starting QB, I'd say we'd have won as many or more games this year. Both are better passers. Masoli's a significantly better runner. Neither had a month of bad play in a row. Neither were injured for 3 games. The big one though is that QB play hasn't been the main reason we're winning. Defense won 3 of the last 4 games. We don't rely on our QB winning for us. We just rely on our QB not to lose games via turn overs. Nichols wasn't even up to that bar for a month.

If Nichols started for either Ottawa or Hamilton this year, I'd say that they would have won less games. Both those teams rely on their QB's to win games for them and both rely on the deep ball more than we do.

Thing is we might already have the upgrade over Nichols in Streveler who showed to me he can make all the throws.

The other thing I keep having to remind people of though is that we run the ball more than any other team so that run game will eat up a lot more into total passing yards.

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

A few things:

Khari got 300 yard games in PLAP's offense. Nichols got 300 yard games in PLAP's offense, just last year. Why is it unfair to expect Nichols to get 300 yard games in PLAP's offense this year?

Well when prime milt stegall suits up for this team with Nichols I'll hold his passing numbers to that standard. Why ignore that? Stegall, Bruce, Gordon, hell of a lot better than what we got now.

22 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Jus for the record.  I don't care about reactions that I receive.  I do like to let others know when I agree with their comments so I will give likes An such.......and I give out the trophy thingy so I can keep count how many times people have referenced or used my screen name in their post.  

155e255af348f8ec36ec0193f775ffac.png

Some more interesting tidbits..

CFL Game #83 Notes & Trends - Winnipeg vs Calgary:

Turnover Excellence: It is widely known that forcing Turnovers is a Bombers' specialty. The most telling number is their T/O Ratio. From 2012 to 2015, Winnipeg was -60 but since 2016 are +56 (2016: #1 at +29, 2017: #2 at +14, 2018: #1 at +13).

Turnovers Forced: Winnipeg leads the CFL with 45 Takeaways while Calgary is right behind at #2 with 44. In the Calgary- Winnipeg rivalry only ONE game has been won since 2011 by the team committing more Turnovers.

Winnipeg Coming Off ...: The Bombers come in off their first shutout since July 28, 2006 over Hamilton (29-0) and just their second since 1988. It was a CFL record 33rd time in their history that they had shut out an opponent.

Injury Toll?: and The Stampeders averaged 32.2 points and 412 Net Yards per game in their first 13 contests; but just 19.0 points and 260 Net Yards per game in the last 3 contests.

Matt Nichols 4 in a row & 0-8: The Bombers' #1 QB has won his last 4 starts and is now up to 8-5 .625 in 2018, #3 in the CFL behind Mitchell at .750 (12-4) and Collaros at .692 (9-4). Nichols has never beaten Calgary as a starter however going 0-4 with Winnipeg and 0-4 with Edmonton vs Calgary. Nichols is 0-8 vs Calgary and 37-18 .673 against everyone else.

All-time Passing rankings: Bo Levi Mitchell has risen to #23 all-time with 23,921 yards and needs 227 to pass Roy Dewalt. The #20 slot all-time held by Russ Jackson (24,593) is just 672 yards ahead of him. Mitchell is 2 TD passes short of 150 career. Matt Nichols now ranks #47 all-time at 16,069 yards with Reggie Slack next ahead (16,173).

100+ Tackles / Defensive Plays Race: Alex Singleton leads the CFL with 107 ahead of Adam Bighill at 101. Bighill leads the CFL in Total Defensive Plays with 121 to Singelton's 118. They are among 9 players with multiple 100+ Tackle seasons.

 Singleton has become the 9th player in CFL history to record back-to-back 100+ DT seasons and the second Canadian to do so (Kevin Eiben 2004-05). Bighill has tied Barrin Simpson at 4 seasons of 100+ and they trail only Willie Pless with 7 100+ seasons.

Dressler 10K: Weston Dressler needs 27 yards to become the 17th player to make it to 10,000 career receiving yards. He can pass Jeremaine Copeland (10,015) with 43 yards.

Reception Streaks: Weston Dressler now at 124 straight games with a reception tying Jamel Richardson for the 6th longest streak in CFL history. Next ahead at #5 is Tony Gabriel's 131 games in a row across 1973-1981.

Inside the 10: Justin Medlock and Rob Maver are #1 & #2 in the CFL with 25 of these punts this year. 

 Andrew Harris: Trails William Powell by 93 yards heading into Week #20 but has already surpassed his career high being at 1,269 yards on a career-high 222 carries (matching his 222 in 2015). He has 5 games of 100+ yards but only ONE of those (Nov 1/13) has come against Calgary. On Aug 25/18, Calgary held Harris to his season-low of 13 yards and a long gain of just 5 yards.

Mitchell All-Time QB Win % / 6-0 at Winnipeg: After last week's defeat, Bo Levi Mitchell's career winning % is now 68-14 .821 with a 12-4 .750 mark in 2018. Mitchell's all-time record as a starter at McMahon Stadium is now 38-5 .884 after the loss to BC. On the road Mitchell is 30-8-2 .775 overall and a perfect 6-0 at Winnipeg.

 Micah Johnson - More sacks every year: of the last 4 games. He is up to #2 in the CFL with 12 which has extended his unique career feat. Johnson has increased his Sack total in every season of his career - 2, 3, 6, 7, 9 & 12, and is up to 39 in a total of 79 games.

Mike Miller 156 ST: The New Brunswick native is up to 156 in his career and that ranks him #12 all-time, 2 back of #11 Ray Biggs at 158 and 5 short of the Top 10. Miller has recorded at least one ST Tackle in 90 of his 138 career games.

Turnover Productivity: The Blue Bombers have recorded 7 games this season where 10 or more of their points came directly off of the Turnovers they have forced. They lead the CFL with 141 points off T/Overs (28% of their 497 total points).

FGs: Justin Medlock comes in with a current FG streak of 9 in a row; Rene Paredes has made 13 of his last 14 FG attempts.

Darvin Adams: Needs 98 yds to reach 1,000 for the 2nd straight year. He has 56 catches with 13 of 20+ depth variety (#4 rank).

Chris Streveler: Has played a key role of late and his runs have produced 63 yards in the last two games.

Adam Bighill: Registered a single-game career high of 3 Sacks in Winnipeg's last game. He has 27 tackles in his last 3 outings.

Mitchell W-L Streaks: The Stamps' #1 QB has never had a 3-game losing streak as a starter and must win this week to avoid it.

Taylor Loffler INTs: Did not make an interception in his first 13 games this year but 3 in the last 3 games.

TOP Turnaround: The Bombers have a 32:43 to 27:16 edge in the last 4 games. The previous 4? Just 28:16 of TOP on average.

 Last game: Winnipeg did not permit the Riders a single 2nd down situation under 2-&-4 yards. SSK ended up just 5-of-19

Throwing deep: 17 of Bo Levi Mitchell's CFL-best 33 TD passes have been of a depth of 20 yards or more.

 No Sacks: Calgary did not allow a Sack last week and that makes it 6 times in 2018 with ideal protection for their QBs._______________________________________________________________________________________

28 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Well when prime milt stegall suits up for this team with Nichols I'll hold his passing numbers to that standard. Why ignore that? Stegall, Bruce, Gordon, hell of a lot better than what we got now.

Nichols to Stegall wasn't the reason he got 300 yard games last year. Try again.

2 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Nichols to Stegall wasn't the reason he got 300 yard games last year. Try again.

I'd say our receivers this year are better then the guys from last season.   

Clearly this season is more of Nichols being off,   he has thrown 5 more int's on 230 less attempts this season.  That's huge.      

Thankfully he's trending better over this losing streak and hopefully it only goes up from now.  I wouldn't start the rookie because that's foolish at this point in the season.  If Nichols shits the bed then next season they can reevaluate and maybe make the move on from him.    Gotta give Matt at least a chance  to finish this season off.   

9 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Yes but between this year and last year they added Demski who is a short yardage guy primarily and lost Denmark who was a pretty versatile all ove the field player. Also Adams was playing way way better before he got hurt last year. 

Seriously do you look at our receivers as they stand now and how they are deployed and believe that 300+ yards passing is going to come easy for any qb? Even when streveler shredded the als early in the year he was under 300 passing. This current offense just isn't going to put up big numbers passing.

45 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Yes but between this year and last year they added Demski who is a short yardage guy primarily and lost Denmark who was a pretty versatile all ove the field player. Also Adams was playing way way better before he got hurt last year. 

Seriously do you look at our receivers as they stand now and how they are deployed and believe that 300+ yards passing is going to come easy for any qb? Even when streveler shredded the als early in the year he was under 300 passing. This current offense just isn't going to put up big numbers passing.

You're blaming the lack of 300 yard games on Demski replacing Denmark? How 'bout blaming it on Nichols low completion rate on the deep balls?

51 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I'd say our receivers this year are better then the guys from last season.   

Clearly this season is more of Nichols being off,   he has thrown 5 more int's on 230 less attempts this season.  That's huge.      

Thankfully he's trending better over this losing streak and hopefully it only goes up from now.  I wouldn't start the rookie because that's foolish at this point in the season.  If Nichols shits the bed then next season they can reevaluate and maybe make the move on from him.    Gotta give Matt at least a chance  to finish this season off.   

Agreed.  I think it has to do with missing those games early in the year and playing with a brace and likely a still injured knee has affected his confidence. Thankfully, he's looked better lately. Mixing in Streveler as much as we have and the run game has also worked against Nichols posting a 300 yard passing game. In other news. Masoli has posted a worse record than Nichols and plenty of 300 yard passing games.  Same with Mike Reilly.

20 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

You're blaming the lack of 300 yard games on Demski replacing Denmark? How 'bout blaming it on Nichols low completion rate on the deep balls?

Yeah but that's not all on the qb. Dressler is used too much deep and he is a midget who ain't winning any 50-50 balls. Like I said, Adam's is playing worse too which takes away our other deep guy. Look at how guys are used not just who is out there.

36 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Yeah but that's not all on the qb. Dressler is used too much deep and he is a midget who ain't winning any 50-50 balls. Like I said, Adam's is playing worse too which takes away our other deep guy. Look at how guys are used not just who is out there.

Nichols has been really off target this year... I'm sorry.  I like the guy but he was clearly not 100% when he came back from his injury... bombers rushed him or he rushed it or whatever... he's not the same QB - nothing to do with receivers