Eskimos @ Lions

USABomberfan

The game that probably has the most bearing on where the west playoff final.

I know either outcome can help us, and ultimately it will be on us to control our own destiny, but I think a BC win might make it a little easier.

If BC wins, then Edmonton will be 8-9, and one win for us at home next week against Calgary will give us 10 wins and an automatic playoff berth.

Of course, I'm also counting on SSK to choke away their last two games so if we win ours they'll forfeit second place and we'll get it and a hosting of the WSF.

WEEK 19 CFL  - Edmonton @ BC

CFL Game #80 Notes & Trends:

Edmonton 4 of last 5 vs BC: The Eskimos 4-game win streak over the Lions was snapped back in August (31-23). That enabled BC to retain a chance to capture the season series and the teams are at one win each going into this game.

BC 5 of last 6 / Strong Q1's: The Lions come in having won 5 of their last 6 games and off of their first win in Calgary since 2014 - breaking a streak of 5 losses in a row at McMahon Stadium. In the 5 wins they have allowed ZERO 1st Quarter points; in the their one recent loss they were down 20-0 to Hamilton after 15:00 of play.

Mike Reilly 5000+: Threw for 369 yards last week, his first 300-yard game after a run of 3 in a row at 276, 164 and 222 yards. He is just 26 yards from his third straight 5,000 yard season. The all-time leaders at 5K years in a row with only Doug Flutie and Anthony Calvillo ever gone more than two straight season with 5000+ passing yards. 

 13 Receptions: Bryant Mitchell made 13 catches last week on 17 throws his way by Mike Reilly. That was just 2 short of the Edmonton record of 15 and the most by any CFL player since S.J. Green had 13 on Oct 14/17.

Sacks For & Against: The Lions have made 15 Sacks in the last 4 games and allowed only 5 themselves. That's a differential of +10 along the line of scrimmage and protecting Lulay and Jennings.

100-yard / 1000-yard rushers: Each club will feature a significant rushers from recent weeks. Tyrell Sutton had 106 in his Lions debut last week and made it two games in a row for BC since Jeremiah Johnson had 118 yards in BC's game before that. C.J. Gable had 87 yards last week in the win over Ottawa (64 yards in the 2nd half) and is within 60 of his first career 1K season.

James Franklin & Mike Reilly 12 TDs: Mike Reilly is approaching the CFL record for Touchdowns by a QB alongside Toronto's James Franklin. They each have 12 and that ranks all-time as follows: tied for third, 2 behind the record.

Bryan Burnham: Needs just 137 yards to reach 1,000 for the year but it has been a year of highs and lows. He has had 8 games where he has caught 3 passes or fewer including each of the last 3 games (2, 3 & 2: Total of 7 for 143 yards).

Alex Bazzie: Had just 4 Sacks in the first 14 games of 2018; he has made 3 in his last 2 games.

Almondo Sewell: Had just 2 Sacks in the first 12 games of 2018; he has made 5 in his last 4 games.

J.C. Sherritt: Needs 14 more defensive tackles to reach 100 for the second time in his career. He made just one last week.

Reilly INTs: After throwing 5 interceptions in a 2-game span, Reilly did not throw any last week going 31-of-38 vs Ottawa.

Travis Lulay - Home vs Road: Lulay will make his 79th career start (47-31). He is 28-10 at home and only 19-21 on the road.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

👁‍🗨 This game should be a doozy. 

👁‍🗨 seems weird that a BC victory tonight will get them a playoff berth. Gotta beat the right teams..

Not to be that guy, and maybe someone could help clarify something for me I would be thankful:

Amongst all the hype of us being a contender am I the only one who sees us on the outside looking in? Even if the Lions win we're still kind of hooped because in all likelihood we aren't going to beat Calgary. 

We almost certainly have a pre-playoff playoff game against Edmonton, don't we? 

1 hour ago, Dr Zaius said:

Amongst all the hype of us being a contender am I the only one who sees us on the outside looking in? Even if the Lions win we're still kind of hooped because in all likelihood we aren't going to beat Calgary. 

I am nervous about our playoff scenario too, however, we are hot right now and I believe we can beat Calgary. 

Go Lions (oh, and B.C. sucks and Eskimos can't swallow).

Edited by blueingreenland

32 minutes ago, Dr Zaius said:

Not to be that guy, and maybe someone could help clarify something for me I would be thankful:

We almost certainly have a pre-playoff playoff game against Edmonton, don't we? 

I seen Calgary slow down late in the season before.  And with Nichols out of his funk and the defense hopefully continuing the up trend, I say we got em.

48 minutes ago, BBlink said:

We are still far from assured a playoff spot and it will be up to our team to get one. We can't really back in

Assuming Calgary murders SSK tomorrow, that should fire up the guys not to go on cruise control after the bye as they will then have a shot to bump SSK down to 3rd.

I just hope Collaros is still shell shocked so Claybrooks sends the mad charging bulls on his defense after him on Saturday.

6 hours ago, USABomberfan said:

I know either outcome can help us, and ultimately it will be on us to control our own destiny, but I think a BC win might make it a little easier.

Nope in mathematical terms of strictly making the playoffs, we actually want Edmonton to win.

Edmonton win       | BC Win
EDM: 9-8 (17 GP)   | BC 9-7
BC: 8-8 (16 GP)     | EDM: 8-9

With an Edmonton win, BC would need to win out (10-8) and we would need to lose out (9-9) for them to catch us because we hold the tiebreaker over BC. If BC wins, they would need to win one more game than Winnipeg to finish better than us. The extra loss to Edmonton doesn't hurt them as much since the EDM/WPG season series is still up in the air. Also a tie is no good for us either, since the extra point would actually be relevant if we ended up with the same wins as either team.

TLDR; Winnipeg needs one more win to get in, if you're going to root for anyone tomorrow, root for Edmonton.

4 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

👁‍🗨 seems weird that a BC victory tonight will get them a playoff berth. Gotta beat the right teams..

It has nothing to do with who they play. If BC wins they win the season series and the best that Edmonton can do with one game left is tie BC and Winnipeg. 

Edited by Dragon37