SASKATCHEWAN 7-5 @ TORONTO 3-8

Mr Dee

53 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

First off- riders are not in the same class the stamps. You are delusional.

The riders are totally fortunate that teams are giving them games, otherwise they would be at the bottom of the league right now. I mean, really... Montreal...? MONTREAL!!!!???? that is pretty much where the riders are at. 

If The hometown Bomber fans didn't boo Nichols- there would have been a much different result LDC and BB. The riders were the fortunate recipient of our qb working stuff out and having to try too hard to make plays and forcing stuff.

Congratulations on ranking 2nd in the west- but that is not a good indication of how good the riders are, just how lucky they are.  

You're blaming the Bomber losses on because Nichols was boo'ed from the fans.....?? Are you delusional man. The Bombers offense is brutal outside of Harris. If Harris isn't going the bombers aren't going.

2 minutes ago, TheBandit said:

You're blaming the Bomber losses on because Nichols was boo'ed from the fans.....?? Are you delusional man. The Bombers offense is brutal outside of Harris. If Harris isn't going the bombers aren't going.

well, it was part of the issue. He was trying too hard to make plays the following games. He was rattled and took that personally. I agree it shouldn't affect him, he is a pro- but it did and led to those turnovers that were the difference in both games. How is that a stretch?

12 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

well, it was part of the issue. He was trying too hard to make plays the following games. He was rattled and took that personally. I agree it shouldn't affect him, he is a pro- but it did and led to those turnovers that were the difference in both games. How is that a stretch?

Dude....the team is 6-7 and is the worst team in the west division. It's more then just Nichols being boo'ed at. The team flat out is underperforming this year.

8 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Absolutely. They are under-performing. 

Riders are still the worst though, they are Montreal/Toronto bad.

Say what you want, their record is 2nd best in the CFL and they have a defense and special teams that wins them games. They have an offense which may not perform, seems to put up enough TD's to win.

At the end of the year, getting into playoffs is what matters.

3 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Absolutely. They are under-performing. 

Riders are still the worst though, they are Montreal/Toronto bad.

You are what your record says you are, and the Bombers record says they are the worst team in the west and the third-worst in the league.

8 hours ago, Ripper said:

Its not luck when you lose to someone 2 weeks in a row. As far as giving games away, well, turnovers etc. are always a part of most loses. Not taking care of the football can be a side effect of pressure or many other things.  Teams like Calgary always seem to come out on the winning side of close games. They are just good and make few mistakes, its not a secret, they just outlast their opponents. Talent wise, there usually isn't  a huge difference between the top team and the bottom one. The top teams just never make mistakes and they protect the ball. 

You've made some good points. To me, it's all about mental toughness. 

Concerning luck, I'm reminded of a Gary Player quote that went "The more I practice, the luckier I get".

Do you believe in luck?  Is there something “real” about luck? 

I believe in luck although I can’t adequately explain it or describe it. But I know it’s there, (mostly evading me). But I sit beside people who lucky, and generally are lucky. I see it in them a lot. I accept the fact they are more lucky than I, and hence it doesn’t bother me. It’s just the way it is. 

But to deny a lucky bounce or a lucky trip or a lucky recovery is just silly. Things happen that even hard work or lots of practice can’t account for. 

I cannot see how anyone can deny they’ve witnessed some sort of lucky phenomenon, either big or small.

It’s there. It’s real. 

One of the reasons that we deny the role of luck is that it acts as a cold counterbalance to the notion of hard work. At every stage in our lives we are taught that the best way to make our way in the world is by hard work, tenacity, and grit. And while I believe there is a lot of truth to this, it also causes some perverse consequences.

For instance, when we’re successful, we’re hesitant or even ashamed to admit that luck played a role because we somehow feel that diminishes what was under our control.

Conversely, if we’re hit with bad luck, it’s culturally reinforced that that was our own fault. We’re led to believe that we’re responsible for outcomes not process, when in fact just the opposite is true.

We are culturally conditioned to deny the role of luck because of its impact on our search for meaning”. - Farnham Street 

You can go on believing everything is structured and that you will be rewarded for it, but all I can say is...good luck with that.

Edited by Mr Dee

3 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Do you believe in luck?  Is there something “real” about luck? 

I believe in luck although I can’t adequately explain it or describe it. But I know it’s there, (mostly evading me). But I sit beside people who lucky, and generally are lucky. I see it in them a lot. I accept the fact they are more lucky than I, and hence it doesn’t bother me. It’s just the way it is. 

But to deny a lucky bounce or a lucky trip or a lucky recovery is just silly. Things happen that even hard work or lots of practice can’t account for. 

I cannot see how anyone can deny they’ve witnessed some sort of lucky phenomenon, either big or small.

It’s there. It’s real. 

One of the reasons that we deny the role of luck is that it acts as a cold counterbalance to the notion of hard work. At every stage in our lives we are taught that the best way to make our way in the world is by hard work, tenacity, and grit. And while I believe there is a lot of truth to this, it also causes some perverse consequences.

For instance, when we’re successful, we’re hesitant or even ashamed to admit that luck played a role because we somehow feel that diminishes what was under our control.

Conversely, if we’re hit with bad luck, it’s culturally reinforced that that was our own fault. We’re led to believe that we’re responsible for outcomes not process, when in fact just the opposite is true.

We are culturally conditioned to deny the role of luck because of its impact on our search for meaning”. - Farnham Street 

You can go on believing everything is structured and that you will be rewarded for it, but all I can say is...good luck with that.

Image result for dieter brock & ray jauch

"You know Deet, think about this.  You've got to be good to be lucky. And lucky to be good. "

49 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

“You know Deet, think about this.  You've got to be good to be lucky. And lucky to be good. "

Ah yes, the old tried and true cliche. It does make a good sound bite, but it really doesn’t explain luck or lack thereof..

16 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Ah yes, the old tried and true cliche. It does make a good sound bite, but it really doesn’t explain luck or lack thereof..ng

It just came to me. Along with another old cliché, "You can't control everything so control the things that you can. Like how you play." Actually, I think that cliché about luck does explain a lot. I think great players & great teams create their own luck. They have such unwavering belief in themselves, their teammates & their coaches that when things get tough in a game they believe that they can't lose. Maybe not always but even when they lose they still believe. And they win more than than they lose because of that belief or mindset. How many times have we seen bad teams fold when the going gets tough? They don't have a belief system of winning & it's  is not part of a bad team's culture. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Luck cannot be created. What you described is fundamentally sound play assisted by hard work. That doesn’t create luck, it just provides better opportunities to be successful or, be unsuccessful if something out of their control intervenes. 

Lucksuccess or failure apparently brought by chance rather than through one's own actions.

1 minute ago, Mr Dee said:

Luck cannot be created. What you described is fundamentally sound play assisted by hard work. That doesn’t create luck, it just provides better opportunities to be successful or, be unsuccessful if something out of their control intervenes. 

Lucksuccess or failure apparently brought by chance rather than through one's own actions.

Believe me, Dee... Luck can be created by hard work & preparation.  That is what I believe. 

38 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

It just came to me. Along with another old cliché, "You can't control everything so control the things that you can. Like how you play." Actually, I think that cliché about luck does explain a lot. I think great players & great teams create their own luck. They have such unwavering belief in themselves, their teammates & their coaches that when things get tough in a game they believe that they can't lose. Maybe not always but even when they lose they still believe. And they win more than than they lose because of that belief or mindset. How many times have we seen bad teams fold when the going gets tough? They don't have a belief system of winning & it's  is not part of a bad team's culture

these are not examples of luck.

None of the above have any effect on whether a RB slips on a cut back changing a 25 yrd run to a 2 yard loss. 

None of the above change a punt's crazy bounce from a coffin corner kick to a dead bounce. 

13 hours ago, J5V said:

You've made some good points. To me, it's all about mental toughness. 

Concerning luck, I'm reminded of a Gary Player quote that went "The more I practice, the luckier I get".

That's a good quote and so true.  My daughter plays hockey and I keep telling her there is no secret ingredient. Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard, and talent that works hard is unstoppable

2 hours ago, Ripper said:

That's a good quote and so true.  My daughter plays hockey and I keep telling her there is no secret ingredient. Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard, and talent that works hard is unstoppable

That is a very good ideal to instill in your children.

I usually say to my kids "Hard Work trumps Talent".

Oh yeah... riders suck....

😁

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

9 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

None of the above have any effect on whether a RB slips on a cut back changing a 25 yrd run to a 2 yard loss. 

None of the above change a punt's crazy bounce from a coffin corner kick to a dead bounce. 

You are correct, luck has nothing to do with any of these events.  If football was broken down to it's minutiae of motion and forces no action would be found to be random, physics could explain every action of the ball completely.  Without a detailed description or understanding of these forces people conveniently attribute these events to "luck" or "the hand of God", neither of which is real.  

10 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Well, now you're nitpicking. If a ball bounces left it's good luck? If right it's bad luck? What if it bounces straight back then no luck? If someone says the Bombers are unlucky then I say they need to practice harder, prepare harder & play harder than the other team. If it's about talent then I can accept we lose because we don't have enough talent. Or the talent we have is overrated,.