Blue Bomber Attendance

Uncle Bill

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

There are places on Pembina that definitely have a lot of fans attend before/after the games.  Boston Pizza, Pier 7...even my buddie's hotel which is in Fort Richmond has been packed for some events at IGF.  

They should absolutely have a bridge over the Red to the Campus.  It makes sense, not just for the stadium but the University.  I'd be curious if having a dock would make sense.  I know there was some water taxi services in IGF's first season but I dont think it was super popular.  If they had water taxi all the time to a nice dock area, would it be used by students as well?

Of course, a football stadium was not going to kickstart other development simply because of how little it's used (unlike an arena).  

Also, the Thursday night thing, I've always found its not a hard sell.  if people want to attend an event, being out late on a thursday isnt so bad because if you're tired and/or hungover, its only one day to get through before the weekend (and for a handful of games, many people can opt out of working Friday if they really need to).

I've had lots of events on various days and Thursday was actually the ideal day (even more so than Fri/Sat at times).

water taxis would be a great idea.

It takes my wife and I an hour and a half from home to the stadium every game.  It pains me to hear that people in Winnipeg think the stadium is too far away from them.   I would much rather drive to and park at a Bomber game compared to a Jets game ANY day of the week.  My wife (who doesn't like driving in the city) if totally comfortable driving to a Bomber game.  Ask her to drive to a Jets game? Nope.  

The Bombers have attendance issues, we all know it.  What is the fix?  I have no idea.  The CFL as a whole has been given such a bad reputation by people 20-30 years old, and isn't considered a big time game in town.  I can hardly give away my $100 ticket if I can't make it to a game, which is ridiculous.  

The Bombers have shot themselves in the foot repeatedly in the last couple seasons, where when there is finally excitement around the team and we draw a good crowd, they lay an egg (except Banjo Bowl).  People around Manitoba generally assume the Bombers are doing poorly, and are always surprised to hear when they win a game.  

I do think that the Bombers need to make some big improvements to the game day experience to keep those who do go coming back.  Improvements like if they have a band playing at half time, make sure that you can actually hear it in the stadium (that has happened twice now, which is absolutely ridiculous and embarrassing).  

Might be more about people enjoy the CFL but rather watch it at home since nothing is blacked out anymore.  I sure like watching it at home then being at the game as i miss so much between plays and the "experts" analyzing things for me and keying in on things i can't see where i'm sitting in the stands or i missed.

I like hockey, but i don't really watch it that much. There are so many games to watch and so little time with younger families.  I enjoy watching hockey live in the arena though as you are close, and can see everything and the game flows.

Still prefer the CFL, but i don't know how you get other people to buy in.  Maybe lower prices and offer free tickets that are empty anyhow. I don't know if that would be enough to get people to go. 

22 minutes ago, retro said:

I do think that the Bombers need to make some big improvements to the game day experience to keep those who do go coming back.  Improvements like if they have a band playing at half time, make sure that you can actually hear it in the stadium (that has happened twice now, which is absolutely ridiculous and embarrassing)

Speaking of half-time bands, nobody wants to see half-time bands. They aren't worth the cost and effort the team spends to bring them in. The best half-time entertainment is always the dogs doing agility competitions and catching Frisbees. 

I think it would be great if they mixed it up a bit and brought in other forms of entertainment as well. How about some sort of strongman/Cross Fit/ninja warrior-type competition?

28 minutes ago, retro said:

It takes my wife and I an hour and a half from home to the stadium every game.  It pains me to hear that people in Winnipeg think the stadium is too far away from them.   I would much rather drive to and park at a Bomber game compared to a Jets game ANY day of the week.  My wife (who doesn't like driving in the city) if totally comfortable driving to a Bomber game.  Ask her to drive to a Jets game? Nope.  

The Bombers have attendance issues, we all know it.  What is the fix?  I have no idea.  The CFL as a whole has been given such a bad reputation by people 20-30 years old, and isn't considered a big time game in town.  I can hardly give away my $100 ticket if I can't make it to a game, which is ridiculous.  

The Bombers have shot themselves in the foot repeatedly in the last couple seasons, where when there is finally excitement around the team and we draw a good crowd, they lay an egg (except Banjo Bowl).  People around Manitoba generally assume the Bombers are doing poorly, and are always surprised to hear when they win a game.  

I do think that the Bombers need to make some big improvements to the game day experience to keep those who do go coming back.  Improvements like if they have a band playing at half time, make sure that you can actually hear it in the stadium (that has happened twice now, which is absolutely ridiculous and embarrassing).  

agreed, as a person between the ages 20-30 most people my age do not take the league seriously at all and do not watch any of the game when attending. Really sad because they'll spend money to attend the game in order to purchase $10 beers and take a snap chat picture to show everyone they were there, yet not watch any of it. Very odd, I do have some friends in the student sections who are as crazy fans as any but they're unfortunately few and far between.

Edited by Gotmilt

1 hour ago, retro said:

Are there statistics on half-time bands and other "game-day experience" gimmicks and their affect(s) on attendance?

Edited by Spock

The old stadium without a doubt was a better location then the current one.

1. More centrally located - Polo Park area is closer to downtown than U of M

2. More vehicular routes to and from the immediate area surrounding the stadium - Canad Inns had Portage, route 90, Empress, St. James, Ellice, St. Matthews, Sargent, Ness, Silver while the new location has Pembina and that's it.

3. Parking options and distance to walk to stadium - Canad Inns had 1,000 spots right on the stadium sight (0 minute walk to stadium), over 5,000 at Polo Park (2 - 5 minute walk to stadium, tonnes of cheap parking lots along St. Matthews, St. James and route 90 with thousands of spots available (5 minute walk), lots of free street parking in St. James and the West End (7 - 10 minute walk) vs. 5,000 spots at U of M but most not right beside the stadium (1 - 10 minute walk), no street parking in adjoining neighborhoods as there is a ban, paid parking in various lots on along Chancellor Mathesson (MPI) and Pembina 20 -25 minute walk, and free parking in Waverley Heights and across the river (30 or minutes)

4. Restaurant options - not even close...there are several restaurants within a 5 - 7 minute walk of Canad Inns.  Hooters, Moxies, Movado's Perkins, Boston Pizza, Montana's, Tony Roma's, Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Earls, A&W, Wendy's, McDonalds, Tim Hortons plus a few others.  At Investors Group Field is there anything within a 5-minute walk?  Nope.  How about a 10-minute walk? Nope.  How about a 15- minute walk?  Maybe, if you are a fast walker.  20 minute walk?  Ok, finally at that point you have a few options like Five Guys, Sushi Jet, Tim Hortons, Kazoku, Wild Wings and Santa Lucia.  Nowhere near the selection of the old site and over twice the distance.  

I think these factors plus the perception of the hassle it is getting to stadium - even though this has been somewhat mitigated since the first season shitshow - and the increased cost to attend the game, has effected attendance.  Walk-up attendance has really been effected imo.  At the old site, I think the team could sell between 1,000-2,000 tickets the day before and day of the game if the team was doing well and the weather appeared to be good.  That is no longer the case at the new stadium.

19 minutes ago, blueandgoldguy said:

The old stadium without a doubt was a better location then the current one.

1. More centrally located - Polo Park area is closer to downtown than U of M

2. More vehicular routes to and from the immediate area surrounding the stadium - Canad Inns had Portage, route 90, Empress, St. James, Ellice, St. Matthews, Sargent, Ness, Silver while the new location has Pembina and that's it.

3. Parking options and distance to walk to stadium - Canad Inns had 1,000 spots right on the stadium sight (0 minute walk to stadium), over 5,000 at Polo Park (2 - 5 minute walk to stadium, tonnes of cheap parking lots along St. Matthews, St. James and route 90 with thousands of spots available (5 minute walk), lots of free street parking in St. James and the West End (7 - 10 minute walk) vs. 5,000 spots at U of M but most not right beside the stadium (1 - 10 minute walk), no street parking in adjoining neighborhoods as there is a ban, paid parking in various lots on along Chancellor Mathesson (MPI) and Pembina 20 -25 minute walk, and free parking in Waverley Heights and across the river (30 or minutes)

4. Restaurant options - not even close...there are several restaurants within a 5 - 7 minute walk of Canad Inns.  Hooters, Moxies, Movado's Perkins, Boston Pizza, Montana's, Tony Roma's, Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Earls, A&W, Wendy's, McDonalds, Tim Hortons plus a few others.  At Investors Group Field is there anything within a 5-minute walk?  Nope.  How about a 10-minute walk? Nope.  How about a 15- minute walk?  Maybe, if you are a fast walker.  20 minute walk?  Ok, finally at that point you have a few options like Five Guys, Sushi Jet, Tim Hortons, Kazoku, Wild Wings and Santa Lucia.  Nowhere near the selection of the old site and over twice the distance.  

I think these factors plus the perception of the hassle it is getting to stadium - even though this has been somewhat mitigated since the first season shitshow - and the increased cost to attend the game, has effected attendance.  Walk-up attendance has really been effected imo.  At the old site, I think the team could sell between 1,000-2,000 tickets the day before and day of the game if the team was doing well and the weather appeared to be good.  That is no longer the case at the new stadium.

sounds like you have quite a drive to the stadium, couldn't stop somewhere on the drive there or are you just complaining for no reason.

18 minutes ago, Gotmilt said:

sounds like you have quite a drive to the stadium, couldn't stop somewhere on the drive there or are you just complaining for no reason.

Perhaps he finds it more desirable to eat and/or get a drink near the stadium as opposed to somewhere on the way.  Hypothetically, if given both options, ask yourself what you would rather do. For example, Bell MTS Place has multiple restaurants and bars within a two block radius, would you rather stop somewhere on the drive, such as on Regent, Provencher, St, James, West Portage etc. before a game, or somewhere within that two block radius? It appears that blueandgoldguy has a comparable to hold Investors Group Field up to. His "complaining" appears to have reason.

23 minutes ago, Spock said:

Perhaps he finds it more desirable to eat and/or get a drink near the stadium as opposed to somewhere on the way.  Hypothetically, if given both options, ask yourself what you would rather do. For example, Bell MTS Place has multiple restaurants and bars within a two block radius, would you rather stop somewhere on the drive, such as on Regent, Provencher, St, James, West Portage etc. before a game, or somewhere within that two block radius? It appears that blueandgoldguy has a comparable to hold Investors Group Field up to. His "complaining" appears to have reason.

That has to be the most insane argument i've ever heard. If you have to drive past these restaurants on your drive to the game anyways who the hell cares how close they are to the stadium? Besides Boston pizza, and multiple other restaurants offer a shuttle service.

Edited by Gotmilt

2 hours ago, Adrenaline_x said:

Might be more about people enjoy the CFL but rather watch it at home since nothing is blacked out anymore.  I sure like watching it at home then being at the game as i miss so much between plays and the "experts" analyzing things for me and keying in on things i can't see where i'm sitting in the stands or i missed.

I like hockey, but i don't really watch it that much. There are so many games to watch and so little time with younger families.  I enjoy watching hockey live in the arena though as you are close, and can see everything and the game flows.

Still prefer the CFL, but i don't know how you get other people to buy in.  Maybe lower prices and offer free tickets that are empty anyhow. I don't know if that would be enough to get people to go. 

I absolutely believe that its mostly due to TV.  So many people (especially sports fans) have big fancy TV's with surround sound and the best seat in the house is the one in my living room.  Thats just reality.  No replacement for the atmosphere of a live game and if I had the extra cash, I'd buy season tickets.  But when I go out to a game with friends, we have a good time that is too good for my wallet more than 3 or 4 times a season.

2 hours ago, nate007 said:

Speaking of half-time bands, nobody wants to see half-time bands. They aren't worth the cost and effort the team spends to bring them in. The best half-time entertainment is always the dogs doing agility competitions and catching Frisbees. 

I think it would be great if they mixed it up a bit and brought in other forms of entertainment as well. How about some sort of strongman/Cross Fit/ninja warrior-type competition?

How about wrestling?  Put a ring on a rolling stage and bring it out at half time.  I know a guy... 😉

15 minutes ago, Spock said:

How many of those outlets were there when the Stadium was built?

Also, unless they could build IGF at the site of the old stadium, its really a moot point.  While there are likely some people who lived close to CIS that are too stubborn to brave the mean streets of Winnipeg for 20 minutes to get to IGF, there are others who live much closer to IGF that benefit.  Unless we're building 10 stadiums so its always close, there's a trade off.

I think you have to look at the era of IGF vs CIS and see the difference in how people consume their content, the dropping of attendance for many sports leagues etc.  Its not just, of they built it too far away.  The choice was build there or not have it at all.  What would attendance be at CIS today?  Not every good, because it would have collapsed and killed everyone.

I think too you may see more teams go the route of the Atlanta Falcons and a couple of other places and introduce the fan friendly pricing for concessions at their stadiums...an investment in the fan experience like that will pay big dividends and put more money in a teams pocket than is currently happening across N. America

Honestly who didn't see this coming? The stadium was built in a terrible location for professional sports. If there's been any lesson to be learned over the last 20 years of stadium and Arena building is location is actually really important.

I really like the new stadium and every time I've gone has been a pretty fun experience. But I'm a die-hard and I don't mind taking a bus and making the extra effort especially because I only go to a few games being an out-of-towner now.

But I really don't get why some people have to pile on people making the obvious point that location is bad. Yes to us Die Hard location isn't a big deal. But the game and the league cant survive on die-hards only

Some of this the Bombers brought on themselves with a long stretch of terrible management, coaching and on-field talent that resulted in embarrassing losses at home. The butt-kickings we endured in other teams' backyards was bad enough, but lop-sided losses at home are really demoralizing for fans.

2 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Some of this the Bombers brought on themselves with a long stretch of terrible management, coaching and on-field talent that resulted in embarrassing losses at home. The butt-kickings we endured in other teams' backyards was bad enough, but lop-sided losses at home are really demoralizing for fans.

Guess we have to pray the Jets don't turn into Edmonton or Buffalo then if that's the logic.

I think the old spot..downtown..St B....would have been poor places...where it is I think is the best spot, and it's the only area of the city where the city can expand with proper infrastructure to sustain/service it...Working in the Civil Engineering/Land Development industry that is exactly where I and many I know would have built it based on forecasting..economic growth and population density, especially with majority of the population that will be new..younger families as well as to connect with the university aged crowd etc..etc...

Revisit the issue in 5 to 8 years and see the only complaints will just be coming from the same people who feel they have been slighted from having their convenience now become a bit less convenient

34 minutes ago, Gotmilt said:

That has to be the most insane argument i've ever heard. If you have to drive past these restaurants on your drive to the game anyways who the hell cares how close they are to the stadium? Besides Boston pizza, and multiple other restaurants offer a shuttle service.

It's those extra steps that could be a turn off.

I am not arguing, I am presenting an idea that could possibly explain why a particular poster and those who agree with them feel that way. I have no opinion on the matter, you should know this.

2 hours ago, Gotmilt said:

Guess we have to pray the Jets don't turn into Edmonton or Buffalo then if that's the logic.

There are a core of fans who will support their teams and come out rain or shine, but there are a lot who do not fit into that category and want to be entertained, even in a loss by their team being competitive. I had seasons tickets during the Reinbold era but stopped going to the games due to the team's ineptness. Losing is one thing, and its going to happen to the best teams (except maybe Calgary) but when going to home games becomes something you dread, that is bad news.

2 hours ago, Spock said:

It's those extra steps that could be a turn off.

I am not arguing, I am presenting an idea that could possibly explain why a particular poster and those who agree with them feel that way. I have no opinion on the matter, you should know this.

You are totally logical, you green-blooded bastard.