Argos @ Manziels

Zontar

4 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Manziel was ok. Put me in the category of hoping he does well because the more Americans watching the better in the long run

I only passively watched the game, seems to me that most of what I saw him do was scrambling out of the pocket and dumping the ball off. Nice completion % but not really much accomplished. 

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

I only passively watched the game, seems to me that most of what I saw him do was scrambling out of the pocket and dumping the ball off. Nice completion % but not really much accomplished. 

Yes. Seemed to be the case. 

For his debut he did okay. I think the Ti Cats have to be concerned with how bad Masoli looked at times. Granted his running back who fumbled twice didn't help but Jones was expected him to play better than that. Jones said he kept him in the game longer to play himself out of it but he didn't look like a cool veteran in there. 

15 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

For his debut he did okay. I think the Ti Cats have to be concerned with how bad Masoli looked at times. Granted his running back who fumbled twice didn't help but Jones was expected him to play better than that. Jones said he kept him in the game longer to play himself out of it but he didn't look like a cool veteran in there. 

Thats who Masoli is. Big plays but... In both directions. He might throw for 450 yards but he will likely have 3 or more turnovers

Its a mugs game to draw any broad conclusions from an ex game. Masoli was dicked by some uncharacterisitc drops by Tasker and fumbles by others. Manziel did some good things, put in some tough spots, for a guy coming into a new new style of game ice cold he did fine I thought. Flashes of talent.

Mildly shocked at the sloppiness of the supposed starting unit.

To be honest, I find the continual Manziel Watch from TSN pretty disappointing. Like, I get that having him come up here is worthy of headlines. But the constant update of every tiny detail of his practices or games rubs me the wrong way. Makes it seem like the CFL and its fans are desperate. 

The CFL was good before Manziel and it'll be good after he's gone. We have got to stop treating these ex-NFLers as royalty, in my opinion. Still waiting for Vince Young to win his first MOP award...

15 hours ago, 17to85 said:

True..  But he had nothing to work with. Was mostly playing with scrubs who couldn't even snap to a shotgun.  He showed promise but yah its not something that would transfer to starting a whole game versus a starting defense. He was running a limited offense and was not taking any risks by the looks of it.  He sure has the physical attributes though. 

You can tell he's an American used to the American game. 

Yes he can scramble. I think that will be one of his strengths when he adjusts. He's fast on his feet.

But he's got to learn that you can't just intentionally ground the ball or it burns your teams. This isn't the NFL.... 

6 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

True..  But he had nothing to work with. Was mostly playing with scrubs who couldn't even snap to a shotgun.  He showed promise but yah its not something that would transfer to starting a whole game versus a starting defense. He was running a limited offense and was not taking any risks by the looks of it.  He sure has the physical attributes though. 

He needs to show that he can do more than just ad lib.  If not, he'll be the next Mike Bishop. 

54 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

He needs to show that he can do more than just ad lib.  If not, he'll be the next Mike Bishop. 

Doug Flutie was a pretty good ad libber as was Tom Clements. The difference between them & the other guys at qb was the fact they could see the whole field & both were very smart players. They both made things happen.

19 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Doug Flutie was a pretty good ad libber as was Tom Clements. The difference between them & the other guys at qb was the fact they could see the whole field & both were very smart players. They both made things happen.

early montreal AC, damon allen, khari and at his best its what KG did too. 

Can he stay out of trouble, I think so. The biggest thing imo is can / will he adjust. If he gets to the point where he is an off the bench guy, the next step is a big one. When he starts, and teams game plan for him, when he plays enough for the finer points of the game to come into play, its about how he adapts to that stuff.  

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

early montreal AC, damon allen, khari and at his best its what KG did too. 

Can he stay out of trouble, I think so. The biggest thing imo is can / will he adjust. If he gets to the point where he is an off the bench guy, the next step is a big one. When he starts, and teams game plan for him, when he plays enough for the finer points of the game to come into play, its about how he adapts to that stuff.  

Another outstanding ad libber was Tracy Ham. As far as adjusting I think Manziel will. Playing at Texas Tech & then with the Browns he should be able to pick up the little nuances to be successful. Other qbs have done it so the reasonable expectation is that he will as well. The only thing that will stand in the way will be Manziel himself. The amount of video/study time he puts in to learn. It's all up to him as he'll be given the chance & the time. Unlike others who were buried by their own teams behind two front runners.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

yeah he was brilliant at making it up on the fly as well. 

You could hardly classify Ham, Clements & Flutie as pocket passers. They scrambled & moved the pocket. They used their legs to extend plays allowing their receivers to create separation. Most great CFL qbs were ad libbers. 

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

You could hardly classify Ham, Clements & Flutie as pocket passers. They scrambled & moved the pocket. They used their legs to extend plays allowing their receivers to create separation. Most great CFL qbs were ad libbers. 

yeah. I think what really separates them is the ability to do both. They were soo strong running their offense, and running and gunning that you didnt get an advantage from just pressuring them. 

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

But they were about more than that.  A good DL that follows their assignments can keep a scrambling QB in the pocket.  If he can't beat them from there, he's toast.  In this era, Mike Reilly is a good example of a QB who does both. 

To me, guys like Flutie & Clements were great scrambling qbs but the most dangerous qb I ever saw play was Tracy Ham. The amazing things he did on the field... he was just scary good. He could beat a defense in so many ways... with his arm, legs, creativity & overall athleticism. As an opposing fan he broke my heart so many times when he was an Eskimo. He was so frustrating at times. Getting away from a sure sack & scampering for a first down or finding an open receiver downfield just left me screaming at the field from the stands or at my tv set at home. . 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

6 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

But they were about more than that.  A good DL that follows their assignments can keep a scrambling QB in the pocket.  If he can't beat them from there, he's toast.  In this era, Mike Reilly is a good example of a QB who does both. 

Those guys moved around. They had the most success not throwing from the pocket as they weren't tall enough to clearly see their passing lanes. They found ways to lose contain every game they played. Defenses couldn't stop them. Most DC's plan that their defenses will play 12 on 11 as most qbs stay in the pocket & barely run so there's not a lot of concern there. With the 3 aforementioned qbs they had to game plan 12 on 12 which is a problem believe me. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27