Cats at Bombers GDT

Nolby

I've been watching Hurl a lot lately and he keeps looking insignificant at best. O'Shea and others adamantly defend him and say his role in the scheme is not the classic MLB that makes lots of tackles. So my question is, do they scheme this way because they know Hurl doesn't have the skills of a typical MLB? Our defense looked good against Edmonton, but otherwise it does not seem like the scheme is working. Idk if that's on Hurl or Hall.

Just now, WildPath said:

I've been watching Hurl a lot lately and he keeps looking insignificant at best. O'Shea and others adamantly defend him and say his role in the scheme is not the classic MLB that makes lots of tackles. So my question is, do they scheme this way because they know Hurl doesn't have the skills of a typical MLB? Our defense looked good against Edmonton, but otherwise it does not seem like the scheme is working. Idk if that's on Hurl or Hall.

O'Shea has said he expects Hurl to be a speed bump, but I'm pretty sure he is not succeeding at that,either.

This tea has been successful because of the play of the QB and the turnover ratio. The defence has been terrible against the run. That isn't due to poor scheme or poor DC play calling, it is due to inferior LB talent. You can they decide who is responsible for that.

9 hours ago, Goalie said:

Obviously they do but u not gonna fire the DC with 4 weeks left. Listen.. They **** the bed tonight.. It happens but the last 2 weeks they held their opponents to under 20 both games... Tonight they royally sucked... Big step back for the D but they have shown they can step up when it matters... Tonight the whole team sucked. Its not like Edmonton BC or Sask are some sort of elite super teams. 

No

10 hours ago, Goalie said:

10 and 4 is a pretty damn good record. 

That's not what the poster is talking about. He said they were a good, not great team. You respond by saying they have a good record.

But those are two different things.

He is talking about the team. You are talking about their record. They can both be true. Yes, 10-4 is a good record, no doubt. That doesn't make them a great team. A great team could be defined as one in which all the component units function effectively (e.g. offense, defense, special teams in football), each doing their share to contribute to the overall group's success. Another definition of greatness in athletics - as in "the great teams in history" - might be those squads that consistently dominate over a period of many years (e.g. the Esks of the early 80's or the Patriots in more recent history) or whom have won it all, often more than once. The poster is, I think, suggesting that  the current edition Blue Bombers will be unable to ascend to the category of greatness, by either measure, until they address their deficiencies on D.

I think he's right.

Edited by deepsixemtoboyd

10 hours ago, Goalie said:

10 and 4 is a pretty damn good record. 

Yeah, but I don't think anyone is arguing that.

The issue is how piss poorly the team played last night. At home. A game which, if they had won it, would've locked up a playoff berth and increased their chances of hosting a home game in the playoffs. Instead, they came out flat, got down early, and let an inferior team control the game.

Last week it looked as though the 2017 Blue Bombers had turned a corner. Last night, all they did was crap their pants on home field.

5 hours ago, WildPath said:

It's never on the player. It's always on the coach, Hall. Every week he puts Sam Hurl  in a position where he can't have success thru both scheming (how he is positioned & used) or Sam's physical talent. He can't do the job so he has little impact on the outcome of a game. I know Sam wants to do well. I'm sure that he prepares harder than the others around him, practices hard  & wants to be successful but that doesn't mean he will. I feel bad for him.  Thanks to Ritchie Hall, Hurl seems to be the whipping boy for this defense & it's not fair. Hall deserves to be that whipping boy & not Sam Hurl.  He plays where Hall tells him to play & tries to do the best that he can. 

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

It's never on the player. It's always on the coach, Hall. Every week he puts Sam Hurl  in a position where he can't have success thru both scheming (how he is positioned & used) or Sam's physical talent. He can't do the job so he has little impact on the outcome of a game. I know Sam wants to do well. I'm sure that he prepares harder than the others around him, practices hard  & wants to be successful but that doesn't mean he will. I feel bad for him.  Thanks to Ritchie Hall, Hurl seems to be the whipping boy for this defense & it's not fair. Hall deserves to be that whipping boy & not Sam Hurl.  He plays where Hall tells him to play & tries to do the best that he can. 

... and Mike O'Shea oversees the whole drama and force-feeds it to us game after painful game and then defends it whenever it's hurled up. Very strange.

With the role that Hall has Hurl play, basically a plug on the line, they may as well use a DL/DE instead of Hurl.  That way the DL/DE could actually shed a block and make a play instead of being quickly taken out like Hurl often is.  And before someone points out that Hurl sometimes drops into coverage I've seen Hurl in coverage and it's not pretty. 

This was an idle thought I had during the game so I'm not really being too serious here.  But it does make you think.  :D   How has Briggs looked to those with better football knowledge?  I notice he seems to play a more typical LB role when he's in. 

Bombers **** the bed friday night... no question about that...

But what I fail to comprehend... is that some people act like the LDC and the most recent game are the only two that matter in the last 11... BTW we are 9-2 is said last 11 games... If the Bombers put up another dud against BC, I might be concerned... but I expect them to come out string and lay the boot to BC on Saturday...

I think we beat BC and Tor and lock up second... then lose to BC (who might be eliminated by this time)... then beat Calgary's back-ups in week 20...