Labour Day Classic: Winnipeg @ Saskatchewan

Rich

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Underhanded -  marked by secrecy, chicanery, and deception :  not honest and aboveboard 

Source: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/underhanded

Secret? U bet. We hid the receiver on the sideline and we certainly didn't tell BC about the loophole we'd found that no one else had found for a generation or so.

Chicanery (deception by artful subterfuge or sophistry)? Yup. Hid a receiver and found a loophole that will likely be closed this off season and used it.

Deception: Absolutely. The whole sleeper play is based on deception.

Honest and aboveboard? Hardly. 

Now, lets apply this to the 'fake' injury situation....

Secret? Hardly. Matt, Milt and Doug Brown say it happens. The Riders may not have hid it as well as other teams, but that's kind of the opposite of a secret.

Chicanery Yup. Used a known loophole that won't likely be closed in the off season.

Deception: Maybe, but I'm pretty sure everyone on the field knew exactly what was happening when it happened, otherwise Harris and Nichols wouldn't have been upset.

Honest and aboveboard? Hardly. 

haven't used this in awhile...

Image result for face palm

I just don't bye into the hysteria on this one.  Don't get me wrong, Tempo is a great tool, and Lapo has used it well, and I like to see it pay dividend as it has for much of the season, but rewatching, I think I noticed 3 Riders go down on D, and I believe 2 of those were during Tempo.  The one was someone with a cramp.  Was that real?  No idea, but it does happen.  Could have been fake, but he did look to be in some discomfort.  The second was the one with the guy with the broken arm (Mrabure??).  I noticed he made a big hit the play before and he seemed to have pain when he went into his stance on the line.  Fake?  Could be, but considering the hit and broken arm it is hard to say.  He looked pretty good during it and was laughing, but I have laughed when I hurt myself as well.  Ok, so maybe one of those 2 was faked.  Even if so, I am not going to sweat this.  If it was occurring with any consistency I would be up in arms. 

1 hour ago, HarryCarayGary said:

If it was occurring with any consistency I would be up in arms. 

It was pretty consistent in the game though. I mean it's not a huge game changing thing but it shows the kind of class that Riders team has. Guess that's why clowns like Duron Carter fit in with that team. 

5 hours ago, 17to85 said:

It was pretty consistent in the game though. I mean it's not a huge game changing thing but it shows the kind of class that Riders team has. Guess that's why clowns like Duron Carter fit in with that team. 

2 "potential" fake injuries (and I stress potential because I believe at least one of them was real) with one in each half is is consistent?   That seems like a pretty silly statement.  

But lets even say it is true, which I am still not sold on, one of the things that I love about O'shea is that he pushes the boundaries of rules (even the TSN panel of all people recognize that), so it would be tough to say he wouldn't do the same.  Players have been taking a conveniently timed knee for a change of pace for as long as football has been around and doing it on a steady basis, so I don't see how this would magically qualify as different.  It really just sounds like some people are sucking on some sour grapes here, but to each their own.

Edited by HarryCarayGary

7 minutes ago, HarryCarayGary said:

2 "potential" fake injuries (and I stress potential because I believe at least one of them was real) with one in each half is is consistent?   That seems like a pretty silly statement.  

But lets even say it is true, which I am still not sold on, one of the things that I love about O'shea is that he pushes the boundaries of rules (even the TSN panel of all people recognize that), so it would be tough to say he wouldn't do the same.  Players have been taking a conveniently timed knee for a change of pace for as long as football has been around and doing it on a steady basis, so I don't see how this would magically qualify as different.  It really just sounds like some people are sucking on some sour grapes here, but to each their own.

except he doesn't.  he actually makes sure what he is doing is on the up and up and doesn't just assume or hope that its ok.    He does things the correct way unlike some other coaches in the league.

as for the second part, its the timing and the use of this flop on the ground like im dead move thats in question.. not the use of it at all.   its readily made knowledge  that coaches use this from time to time but to do it exactly when we go to use the hurry up?   like, right on cue as we step up to the line to snap the ball?  dirty pool old man.

Edited by SPuDS

Just now, HarryCarayGary said:

Because he asked the refs about a sleeper play?  Alrighty.  

isnt that exactly what you said he doesn't do?  pushes it to the edge? Well if he clears the play with the officials and its clearly legal.. how is that.. "pushing boundries"??

14 minutes ago, HarryCarayGary said:

It doesn't "magically" qualify as different. It qualifies as different because it was after the teams had made their way to the line. That's an important difference. As Doug Brown wrote, for years players have taken a knee, particularly after turnovers when the unit that was on the field would have to come right back on. Not after the teams were already on the line. And, as Brown also pointed out, there were at least 3 instances of "cramps".

Just now, SPuDS said:

isnt that exactly what you said he doesn't do?  pushes it to the edge? Well if he clears the play with the officials and its clearly legal.. how is that.. "pushing boundries"??

He cleared one play.  "yay"

Sorry man, I really like O'shea as a coach and he is the type of coach that I want, but his hands are far from clean as both a player and a coach.

Just now, HarryCarayGary said:

He cleared one play.  "yay"

Sorry man, I really like O'shea as a coach and he is the type of coach that I want, but his hands are far from clean as both a player and a coach.

oh?  please feel free to show me were our coach has played fast and loose with the rules of the game in any fashion even remotely similar to Jones has in Sask..

7 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

oh?  please feel free to show me were our coach has played fast and loose with the rules of the game in any fashion even remotely similar to Jones has in Sask..

I, too, am intrigued by this... someone spouts off a random accusation as fact with absolutely nothing to support it...

Curious to see where this goes... or did the troll catch his bait? :D

26 minutes ago, HarryCarayGary said:

2 "potential" fake injuries (and I stress potential because I believe at least one of them was real) with one in each half is is consistent?  

Here we go again. A disclaimer. 

As stated above and in about 10-15 other posts, there were 3 incidents of "going down" to stop the play. The real issue, is NOT the stoppage but because they occurred after the play was blown in, and just before our hurry up Offence. That isn't a coincidence. It was planned. 

There must be some reason why it's a #1 sports topic across the country...and it isn't just Bomber fans. 

Oh, and of course, Rider fans believe it hook, lying and stinker..

15 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

Oh FFS,  he's a rider troll. Stop feeding the troll. His name is even derived from that garry guy on Rf that got banned.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

Just now, StevetheClub said:

It doesn't "magically" qualify as different. It qualifies as different because it was after the teams had made their way to the line. That's an important difference. As Doug Brown wrote, for years players have taken a knee, particularly after turnovers when the unit that was on the field would have to come right back on. Not after the teams were already on the line. And, as Brown also pointed out, there were at least 3 instances of "cramps".

Brown was mistaken.  There were 2 instances where a player went down during tempo, but don't take my word for it, look yourself:

https://www.cfl.ca/games/2413/winnipeg-blue-bombers-vs-saskatchewan-roughriders/#playbyplay

(09:56) M. NICHOLS Completed Pass to C. DENMARK, caught at S54 (19 yds, 16 YAC), Pushed Out of Bounds by M. EDEM, E. STEELE injured on the play (1st Q and not in Tempo)

(09:09) J. BARTEL Punt (39 yds), Returned by K. FOGG from S52 (6 yds, 0 credited), Penalty: No Yards, 15 yds called on Saskatchewan (K. FRANCIS) (15 yds.) - Enforced From S52, M. EDEM injured on the play (2nd Q, and actually on a punt, not while they were on D.  Very possibly fake, as that is pretty standard on a turnover of this nature).

(01:58) M. NICHOLS Completed Pass to A. HARRIS, caught at W49 (14 yds, 10 YAC), Tackle: E. DARGAN, M. HENRY injured on the play (2nd Q and in Tempo)

(09:09) M. NICHOLS Completed Pass to W. DRESSLER, caught at S15 (7 yds, 2 YAC), Tackle: E. GAINEY, E. MRABURE-AJUFO injured on the play (4th Q and in Tempo)

so that is 2 times.

2 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

see, this is the cool thing about the internet.   we can be whatever we wanna be, lol.

Well, the league is investigating it upon the club complaining apparently, so when they come back with a slap to the Riders I will be more than happy to say I was wrong.  I am guessing nobody else will do the same if they come back empty though.  I am not sorry that I do my best to keep the blue tinted goggles a bit thin and try to look at things in an unbiased fashion.

22 minutes ago, HarryCarayGary said:

Brown was mistaken.  There were 2 instances where a player went down during tempo, but don't take my word for it, look yourself:

https://www.cfl.ca/games/2413/winnipeg-blue-bombers-vs-saskatchewan-roughriders/#playbyplay

(09:56) M. NICHOLS Completed Pass to C. DENMARK, caught at S54 (19 yds, 16 YAC), Pushed Out of Bounds by M. EDEM, E. STEELE injured on the play (1st Q and not in Tempo)

(09:09) J. BARTEL Punt (39 yds), Returned by K. FOGG from S52 (6 yds, 0 credited), Penalty: No Yards, 15 yds called on Saskatchewan (K. FRANCIS) (15 yds.) - Enforced From S52, M. EDEM injured on the play (2nd Q, and actually on a punt, not while they were on D.  Very possibly fake, as that is pretty standard on a turnover of this nature).

(01:58) M. NICHOLS Completed Pass to A. HARRIS, caught at W49 (14 yds, 10 YAC), Tackle: E. DARGAN, M. HENRY injured on the play (2nd Q and in Tempo)

(09:09) M. NICHOLS Completed Pass to W. DRESSLER, caught at S15 (7 yds, 2 YAC), Tackle: E. GAINEY, E. MRABURE-AJUFO injured on the play (4th Q and in Tempo)

so that is 2 times.

Steele's injury was in Tempo and Nichols even singled that one out.  All 3 waited to drop until the Bombers rushed up over the ball.