Testing Our Mettle: Eskies Coming Here

BigBlue

21 hours ago, johnzo said:

goddammit why doesn't this site have a horns reaction emoji .. gotta copy and paste one in like a chump...

sign-of-the-horns_emoji-modifier-fitzpat

Anyway, getting back on topic: forget Hamilton, forget Edmonton, forget all this regular season noise ... let's talk about the games that really matter.  What DIs do you guys think we should roster in the Western Final?

Just for you ...   :1396_metal_tone2::1396_metal_tone2::1396_metal_tone2:

On 8/11/2017 at 11:21 AM, Bigblue204 said:

ummm, ok? Not sure how you got that out of "Control Reilly". My statement remains the same, and correct. If you can control him (better?) the game is yours.

And to be fair, paper boys are often slippery AF. 

Not sure how you would know this and at the same time don't want to know how you know this...

I see trap games in another way, playing a poor opponent can delude a team into thinking they are better than they are, as the Riders discovered when they beat the TiCats then promptly got mauled by the Stamps.  I believe the Bombers should beat a decimated Esks. squad easily if they play a solid game but the offence needs to be better than it was at consistently reaching the first down marker in order to sustain drives.  Nichols has to be able to find receivers in the 10-15 yard range instead of the 4-6 yards he has been relying on and expecting miraculous YAC performances. 

The second point is the D-line had tremendous success last night against a pitiful Cat O-line pressuring Collaros on almost every play which in turn made the pass defence look very good.  I think this was a temporary illusion and Reilly will again expose the soft spots in Richie Hall's pass D and weak LB group so they have to be aware that is still an ongoing problem to be dealt with and improved upon.

The good news they won.

The bad news despite solid performances, Jake Thomas, Trent Corney and Sam Hurl have not actually morphed into All-Star quality players in one night, they just had good games against a weak opponent.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

I don't think we're going to beat many teams easily this year...especially not West teams. I don't expect us to thump the Esks, even with all those injuries. It'll be a close game, and as long as we have more points when it's done, I'm going to be happy...

18 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I see trap games in another way, playing a poor opponent can delude a team into thinking they are better than they are, as the Riders discovered when they beat the TiCats then promptly got mauled by the Stamps.  I believe the Bombers should beat a decimated Esks. squad easily if they play a solid game but the offence needs to be better than it was at consistently reaching the first down marker in order to sustain drives.  Nichols has to be able to find receivers in the 10-15 yard range instead of the 4-6 yards he has been relying on and expecting miraculous YAC performances. 

The second point is the D-line had tremendous success last night against a pitiful Cat O-line pressuring Collaros on almost every play which in turn made the pass defence look very good.  I think this was a temporary illusion and Reilly will again expose the soft spots in Richie Hall's pass D and weak LB group so they have to be aware that is still an ongoing problem to be dealt with and improved upon.

The good news they won.

The bad news despite solid performances, Jake Thomas, Trent Corney and Sam Hurl have not actually morphed into All-Star quality players in one night, they just had good games against a weak opponent.

Thomas and Corney have been good all year tho. Hurl wasnt really noticeable last night. I really dont think 1 game proves anything but Thomas and Corney have been good since Game 1 pretty much. 

Just now, Goalie said:

Thomas and Corney have been good all year tho. Hurl wasnt really noticeable last night. I really dont think 1 game proves anything but Thomas and Corney have been good since Game 1 pretty much. 

Thomas has been good for at least a couple years now....this idea that people think he's somehow "lesser", because  they see him as a slower, white, CIS guy from Nova Scotia, is beyond absurd at this point...

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Thomas has been good for at least a couple years now....this idea that people think he's somehow "lesser", because  they see him as a slower, white, CIS guy from Nova Scotia, is beyond absurd at this point...

Agreed. We might have the 2 most underrated D players in the league on our team in Thomas and Randle... Thomas also has the stigma of being from a small Maritimes CIS school in Acadia. Hes a damn good player tho. Very impactful. 

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Not sure anyone is saying that, Thomas is a consistently solid if not spectacular veteran performer.  It would be interesting if he ever tested F.A. as I suspect he is under paid for what he contributes, he deserves some Shologan money.

1 minute ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Not sure anyone is saying that, Thomas is a consistently solid if not spectacular veteran performer.  It would be interesting if he ever tested F.A. as I suspect he is under paid for what he contributes, he deserves some Shologan money.

As we recently found out with Spooner and Jake is the same... Sometimes loyalty and familiarity is more important. Thomas will be a bomber his entire career. The grass is not always greener elsewhere. 

14 minutes ago, Goalie said:

If you didn't notice Hurl, you weren't paying enough attention, he was everywhere he needed to be.  I finally understand why O'Shea loves this guy so much, he plays to the absolute max. of his abilities on every play even if the goal is not always achieved, can't ask more from a person than max. level of effort.

19 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Agreed. We might have the 2 most underrated D players in the league on our team in Thomas and Randle... Thomas also has the stigma of being from a small Maritimes CIS school in Acadia. Hes a damn good player tho. Very impactful. 

I don't think Randle is underrated... I think he's seen as our best defensive player. Well, him and Mo... 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

triple thumbs up.

He doesn't look like a monster D lineman. But he is a monster D lineman. 

None of the players on the bombers make a big deal about themselves as individuals.

Edited by Mark F

A few things:

1. That has to be one of the worst performances by an OL in recent memory. 

2. Collaros is similar to Reilly in that he ad - libs plays when he rolls out. He did a lot of that against the Esks but the Bombers controlled him quite well.

3. Hurl is usually where he's supposed to be - but does not seem to make many plays. Eg. The play where Heath's tackle was broken and other guys missed, Hurl followed the receiver all the way to end zone - outstanding. 

40 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Don't mention Hurl in that regard. He was the fourth Bomber on the scene.

Heath missed, and Loffler had the biggest flub. 

I said all that too. Sometimes hustle is just running around. It is what it is. We have our stars on D at other positions, while for most teams the MLB is the heart of the D. And I would encourage you to watch that play again - cfl.ca has it in the game recap. 

7 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Don't mention Hurl in that regard. He was the fourth Bomber on the scene.

Heath missed, and Loffler had the biggest flub. 

Randle was also guilty of loitering without intent.

Edit: Randle eliminated himself from the play by wandering out of bounds.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

7 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

7 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

In terms of backing up Heath, Hurl had the best angle to make the play but couldn't get there.