Lost in it all

Booch

9 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

Lost in it all VI.....

I was at the game and wasn't really able to tell due to the lack of the replays on the screens. But the ball that was stripped and then knocked back into play by montreal and Cunningham picking it up.....What is the ruling on that? Did the ball actually go out of bounds? It looked like it did but if it goes out of bounds in the air and is knocked back in is it still live? That was an unbelievable play by mtl either way!

If the receivers feet had touched the ground out of bounds he would not be eligible to play the ball.  He didn't.  And while it was really close, the ball didn't touch the ground out of bounds either.  Live ball.

Stupid decision that worked out for them.  Just like Thomas handing the ball off to Knox worked out for us last week.

11 minutes ago, Sard said:

Watched the game re-cap and paused it to see that the ball did land in bounds by about half a foot... didn't like the call at the time, but they did get that one right.

This is what I figured. It just looks to go out of bounds in the air and lands back in bounds on the turf. Wasn't sure the rule on that. Can a ball go out of bounds in the air and come back in. Or did the ball never leave the field at all. Not a complaint either way just curious :) 

9 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

This is what I figured. It just looks to go out of bounds in the air and lands back in bounds on the turf. Wasn't sure the rule on that. Can a ball go out of bounds in the air and come back in. Or did the ball never leave the field at all. Not a complaint either way just curious :) 

Pretty sure the ball can go out of bounds in the air, but if it hits the ground, it's dead.

As an example, a receiver makes a top tap reception with his arms extended catching the ball, over the sidelines; it's a catch because he remains in bounds.

1 hour ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

Lost in it all VI.....

I was at the game and wasn't really able to tell due to the lack of the replays on the screens. But the ball that was stripped and then knocked back into play by montreal and Cunningham picking it up.....What is the ruling on that? Did the ball actually go out of bounds? It looked like it did but if it goes out of bounds in the air and is knocked back in is it still live? That was an unbelievable play by mtl either way!

The ball was tipped back in bounds by Lewis whilst the ball was in mid-air. When he did so, Lewis hadn't stepped out of bounds yet and thus was still in play. In the CFL, when a loose ball (fumble) goes out of bounds, possession is given to the last team to touch the ball when it goes out of bounds. It is too bad a bomber defender didn't see it sitting on the turf as if he had just tapped it out of bounds, it would've been WPG ball.

Short answer- yes, a fumble that is up in the air but knocked back onto the playing field by a player whilst the player is still in bounds (while in the air) would result in the fumble still being live... honestly though like 90% of the time Lewis would've been better to just bat the ball out of bounds and let Montreal retain possession.

Edited by Eternal optimist
Typo.

8 hours ago, do or die said:

T.J Thorpe intrigues me.   Would like to see us get him into some space, more often.....bowling ball type.

I'd like to see him return some kicks.  Seems like a waste to roster someone just for kickoffs.  Could make room for Flanders.  Lankford is a decent option if Dressler is out, perhaps pushes Denmark eventually if he keeps it up.  Looked pretty good at receiver in preseason too.

23 minutes ago, Goalie said:

If anything... Lewis lateralled it forward so it probably should have been blown dead... But ball was definitely inbounds 

Completely went forward after the bat.  Can only do that with a kick and guys onside can recover, a dribble.  Should have been dead and penalty applied from spot of fumble.  Needed to be challenged.  

42 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Completely went forward after the bat.  Can only do that with a kick and guys onside can recover, a dribble.  Should have been dead and penalty applied from spot of fumble.  Needed to be challenged.  

I was also wondering about that. I know you can't advance the ball forward on a fumble, which I think is what the player did, although I couldn't tell from my angle. Also,  I agree with those who are pointing out that it was kind of a stupid play on Lewis's part. Knocking it back in bounds could have resulted in a Bomber recovering the ball. Honestly, I really still don't understand why he did that.

What's everyone's thoughts on the roughing the passer against Jeffcoat? To me it looked like total BS, but I haven't seen a replay...

4 hours ago, aalgernon said:

I was also wondering about that. I know you can't advance the ball forward on a fumble, which I think is what the player did, although I couldn't tell from my angle. Also,  I agree with those who are pointing out that it was kind of a stupid play on Lewis's part. Knocking it back in bounds could have resulted in a Bomber recovering the ball. Honestly, I really still don't understand why he did that.

What's everyone's thoughts on the roughing the passer against Jeffcoat? To me it looked like total BS, but I haven't seen a replay...

I didn't see it well but if anything it looked like his hand may have caught Durant's helmet as it certainly wasn't a late hit.

On 7/28/2017 at 0:07 PM, do or die said:

T.J Thorpe intrigues me.   Would like to see us get him into some space, more often.....bowling ball type.

Very much so. Id like to see him get some of the dressler package plays. Hes built like a running back, with good size and was a returner to boot. Would also like to see him get some returns, screen passes would be nice too. 

On 7/28/2017 at 1:13 PM, Bomber_fanaddict said:

Lost in it all VI.....

I thought i saw the ball touched by an MTL player as he was going out of bounds. He was in the air so technically not out of bounds until he landed.

15 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I thought i saw the ball touched by an MTL player as he was going out of bounds. He was in the air so technically not out of bounds until he landed.

Easiest way to explain the play is that the MTL receiver Lewis played the bouncing ball the same way an NBA player would save a ball going out of bounds.  

While in the air, Lewis batted the ball backwards into play, where the ball bounced off the field and stopped on the ground just inside the sidelines.

On 7/28/2017 at 8:19 PM, JuranBoldenRules said:

agreed... but is that challengeable??