Ian Wild Out 6 Weeks

3down nation says

Since joining Winnipeg in 2013, Wild has played in 49 games making 224 tackles, 46 special teams tackles, seven sacks, seven forced fumbles, scored two defensive touchdowns and recorded one interception.

why would bring somebody in when we have two guys on the roster that play the same position.

Edited by Mark F

8 hours ago, Floyd said:

Gonna sound like a broken record... but Kyler Elsworth is still out there, I thought he performed really well with Montreal... has CFL experience

I'd be on board with this.  Actually kinda surprised he isn't with someone already.

Ian Wild is probably average at best among linebackers.  His play had not been particularly impressive going back to last season.  I think there was some here or the other Bomber forum suggesting he may be cut or serve as a backup going into the 2017 season.

If the replacement cannot provide a reasonable facsimile of Wild's play over the next 6 weeks (small drop-off) then I will be really concerned about the Bombers' international recruiting.  Of course, I already am concerned about the recruitment but moreso if Wild's replacement turns out to be a complete dud.

10 minutes ago, blueandgoldguy said:

Ian Wild is probably average at best among linebackers.  His play had not been particularly impressive going back to last season.  I think there was some here or the other Bomber forum suggesting he may be cut or serve as a backup going into the 2017 season.

If the replacement cannot provide a reasonable facsimile of Wild's play over the next 6 weeks (small drop-off) then I will be really concerned about the Bombers' international recruiting.  Of course, I already am concerned about the recruitment but moreso if Wild's replacement turns out to be a complete dud.

Ehhh... not so sure about that one.  He's been the heart of the defence while healthy.  Was on pace for 105 tackles last year which would have put him 4th in the league behind Elimimian, Bear Woods, and Bighill.

Wild's problem is he can't stay healthy.

Wild is looked upon as a smart, aggressive LBer who can cover on passing plays. As mentioned, the guy makes plays. But I guess this is an attempt to smudge the Scouting staff. 

Lets first see if no one else can play on the Wild side before we condemn anybody's recruiting...

3 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Wild is looked upon as a smart, aggressive LBer who can cover on passing plays. As mentioned, the guy makes plays. But I guess this is an attempt to smudge the Scouting staff. 

Lets first see if no one else can play on the Wild side before we condemn anybody's recruiting...

I've always felt SAM was the position to be looked upon for more pass coverage. Wouldn't mind seeing Wild's replacement be sent in on more blitz packages

17 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Ehhh... not so sure about that one.  He's been the heart of the defence while healthy.  Was on pace for 105 tackles last year which would have put him 4th in the league behind Elimimian, Bear Woods, and Bighill.

Wild's problem is he can't stay healthy.

Health is a factor, but tackles are an over-rated stat.  You would have to look at those tackles in more detail - tackles for losses, tackles for gains of less than 5 yards, 5-10 yards, etc.  Also the stats for tackles may be called into question as the statistician may identify the wrong person who made the tackle.  This happens quite frequently in the NFL so I'm sure it happens quite frequently here as well.

Just now, blueandgoldguy said:

Health is a factor, but tackles are an over-rated stat.  You would have to look at those tackles in more detail - tackles for losses, tackles for gains of less than 5 yards, 5-10 yards, etc.  Also the stats for tackles may be called into question as the statistician may identify the wrong person who made the tackle.  This happens quite frequently in the NFL so I'm sure it happens quite frequently here as well.

True.  But I mean, I've also watched all the games, in many cases multiple times, and I'm pretty confident in saying that Wild is a top-tier linebacker in the CFL.  Citing tackle numbers is just a lot easier than going through and pointing at every play he has or has not made.  In the end it's just an opinion either way.

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

Richie Hall NEEDS a guy with closing speed and anticipation like Wild...  if Knox takes any time to adjust to the CFL game, Ray will make that side of the field pay - esp if Carmichael is given another shot 

how do you know knox will take Wild's spot?

2 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Wild had a rough year last year. He missed a TON of tackles. Couple that with the fact that he cant stay healthy and he's an average linebacker at best. Steady, but never really stands out in a good way or influences the game with big tackles/plays. He's serviceable but i could see getting the same production out of knox and/or santos-knox.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti