Why don't we use Weston Dressler as a rturner?

B-F-F-C

18 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I like Lankford, he's doing well and he's a real threat to break a long one, if he can get into space he's gone.  Dressler is far too valuable to risk returning kicks.

I didn't see Lankford as much of a threat as McDuffie was. I'd like to see what Thorpe can do. Wouldn't want to risk Dressler.

3 hours ago, B-F-F-C said:

He's a proven returner who was a game changer when he was a returner in Saskatchewan.  I'm not unhappy with our return game but it couldn't hurt to throw him in there every so often just to change it up.  

I'd rather not because he is not that big, but plays with a big heart.

At his age, there would be a good chance of getting him dinged up.

Would prefer to save him for the receiving corps.

I liked what he did on returns. (Lankford) He was steady and looked like he knew where to go. Nice speed and picked up his blocking well. The only downside I see is it'll be harder to get Flanders on the field this way, and I like what Flanders can bring..

Edited by Mr Dee

7 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

I liked what he did on returns. (Lankford) He was steady and looked like he knew where to go. Nice speed and picked up his blocking well. The only downside I see is it'll be harder to get Flanders on the field this way, and I like what Flanders can bring..

I'm not a huge fan of Lankford.  He doesn't seem to have much of an idea of how to gain yards north-south.  All he does is test the contain of the coverage team which basically results in him running 100 yards for a 10 yard return.  I'm sure O'Shea was pretty perturbed with Lankford taking the one kickoff wide to the field when clearly the blocking was heading to the boundary.  Luckily he barely got the corner and didn't take a loss.

Best thing I can say about him is that he catches punts and secures the ball.  McDuffie was always a bit of an adventure on punts.  I prefer Fogg to all of them.

51 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I'm not a huge fan of Lankford.  He doesn't seem to have much of an idea of how to gain yards north-south.  All he does is test the contain of the coverage team which basically results in him running 100 yards for a 10 yard return.  I'm sure O'Shea was pretty perturbed with Lankford taking the one kickoff wide to the field when clearly the blocking was heading to the boundary.  Luckily he barely got the corner and didn't take a loss.

Best thing I can say about him is that he catches punts and secures the ball.  McDuffie was always a bit of an adventure on punts.  I prefer Fogg to all of them.

It only takes one player to force a change in direction on any kind of return. I'm more impressed when a player can do something when the plan has been disrupted. 

I didn't see anything extraordinary about the return you mentioned, only that it wasn't as close as you seem to think. He saw the corner, and sped his way to it, and gained yardage. To me, that's what a KR does.

I can't say if O'Shea would have been any more perturbed on that play, even if Langford didn't follow "the path".

All's I know is he secured the ball, ran hard, and had close to 30 yard return average. That will get you past the 35 yard line almost every time.

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

It only takes one player to force a change in direction on any kind of return. I'm more impressed when a player can do something when the plan has been disrupted. 

I didn't see anything extraordinary about the return you mentioned, only that it wasn't as close as you seem to think. He saw the corner, and sped his way to it, and gained yardage. To me, that's what a KR does.

I can't say if O'Shea would have been any more perturbed on that play, even if Langford didn't follow "the path".

All's I know is he secured the ball, ran hard, and had close to 30 yard return average. That will get you past the 35 yard line almost every time.

There's some creativity involved, but for the most part a KR is like a RB.  If he doesn't run to where the blocking is setting up most of the time he isn't going to be very effective, especially when the other team knows that he's always going wide.

put me into the "save Dressler" camp.  Id much rather stick with Lankford, bring back McDuffie if hes on the radar or see if Thorpe has more mojo once healthy..

keep our #1 offensive unit rested and ready to rock n roll should be priority unless the return man's wheels completely fall off and his fumbling every kick, etc etc.