Canadian Politics

1 minute ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Agreed- but it's a single place for the shitty people to flock to. 

The PPC are for people who are afraid or hate Big Government & feel they are making intrusions into their lives. That taxes are too high & that we no longer control our borders. It's also a party founded by a guy who was pissed off he lost the Conservative Party leadership. Generally, a party created because the leader felt he got screwed over by another party doesn't last long. Google Derek Fildebrandt & read what he did. The circumstances of his demise would take too long to type here so I'm not doing it.  He was a real piece of work here in Alberta politics. It makes for an interesting read. 

49 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The PPC are for people who are afraid or hate Big Government & feel they are making intrusions into their lives. That taxes are too high & that we no longer control our borders. It's also a party founded by a guy who was pissed off he lost the Conservative Party leadership. Generally, a party created because the leader felt he got screwed over by another party doesn't last long. Google Derek Fildebrandt & read what he did. The circumstances of his demise would take too long to type here so I'm not doing it.  He was a real piece of work here in Alberta politics. It makes for an interesting read. 

You're right- I shouldn't **** talk all those people who vote PPC. There are different reasons. 

On 2019-09-29 at 7:50 PM, nate007 said:

I don't know who I'm voting for, but I'm specifically not voting for Scheer because of his stupid boutique tax credit promises. Talk about real tax system reform and you'll get my attention.

My favorite is how the Conservative tax promises are made under the guise of helping working-class families, but in reality, they often benefit the rich most:

1. Increasing the basic personal amount will benefit people that use the deduction to its' fullest extent the most, so anyone with federal income below the basic federal credit (for 2019 this is $12,069, i.e. really poor) actually doesn't get any additional benefit from this... they'd still pay the same amount of tax ($0 assuming no refundable credits).

2. The children's fitness/arts tax credits can benefit working-class families, but families that are on the fringe of affordability are likely to cut luxuries (such as fitness/arts for their kids) first. Again, these benefits simply allow for the rich to get a tax break on something they were probably paying for anyways (such as a rich family whose son is in SJR paying for their kid to play hockey, they get the full $500 credit for that kid, assuming the cost of hockey is at least $500).

3. Increasing the RESP limits again benefits the rich - most middle class families struggle to contribute the maximum under the program, and if you're poor, having extra contribution room isn't going to help you plan for the future when you're struggling to put food on the table.

Do the Liberals lie as well? Absolutely. They're all dogs, but at least they aren't spin doctoring with the level of finesse currently shown by the Cons.

I'm pretty cynical and since I can't decline my ballot federally, I'm seriously considering intentionally spoiling it in an act of defiance, I've never seen such a bad batch of politicians set to run this country.

8 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

My favorite is how the Conservative tax promises are made under the guise of helping working-class families, but in reality, they often benefit the rich most:

1. Increasing the basic personal amount will benefit people that use the deduction to its' fullest extent the most, so anyone with federal income below the basic federal credit (for 2019 this is $12,069, i.e. really poor) actually doesn't get any additional benefit from this... they'd still pay the same amount of tax ($0 assuming no refundable credits).

2. The children's fitness/arts tax credits can benefit working-class families, but families that are on the fringe of affordability are likely to cut luxuries (such as fitness/arts for their kids) first. Again, these benefits simply allow for the rich to get a tax break on something they were probably paying for anyways (such as a rich family whose son is in SJR paying for their kid to play hockey, they get the full $500 credit for that kid, assuming the cost of hockey is at least $500).

3. Increasing the RESP limits again benefits the rich - most middle class families struggle to contribute the maximum under the program, and if you're poor, having extra contribution room isn't going to help you plan for the future when you're struggling to put food on the table.

Do the Liberals lie as well? Absolutely. They're all dogs, but at least they aren't spin doctoring with the level of finesse currently shown by the Cons.

I'm pretty cynical and since I can't decline my ballot federally, I'm seriously considering intentionally spoiling it in an act of defiance, I've never seen such a bad batch of politicians set to run this country.

If you're concerned about tax reform & say the Conservatives aren't helping working class families then aren't you concerned about the Liberals free style spending & continuing deficits for years to come? The promises will increase spending & taxes as well. Usually people who don't like taxes also don't like increased spending because it means higher taxes.  Higher taxes will hurt low income families more than higher income families 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

24 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

If you're concerned about tax reform & say the Conservatives aren't helping working class families then aren't you concerned about the Liberals free style spending & continuing deficits for years to come? The promises will increase spending & taxes as well. Usually people who don't like taxes also don't like increased spending because it means higher taxes.  Higher taxes will hurt low income families more than higher income families 

You weren't asking me - but it's clear that every government other than the Chretien Liberals were running some major deficits.  The Trudeau Liberals are just stupid enough to admit it right in their platform. 

2 hours ago, Mark H. said:

You weren't asking me - but it's clear that every government other than the Chretien Liberals were running some major deficits.  The Trudeau Liberals are just stupid enough to admit it right in their platform. 

Because it seems Canadians are okay with kicking these deficits down the road for the generations after them to clean up. As long as they get their piece of the action today then who cares about their kids or grandchildren. We just can't live within our means anymore.

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

No, I'm not concerned with the Liberals spending, conventional macroeconomics states that as long as the government currency (i.e. Canadian $) is able to retain its intrinsic value, they are fine to run deficits, they can always issue more debt (such as bonds) to make up the shortfall. With rock bottom interest rates currently, deficits aren't exactly a bad thing.

I guess I'm bucking the trend there - I have no problem with taxes, and although I agree taxing families to death isn't the answer - neither is handing out tax breaks to the rich.

We're losing 3 billion dollars in taxes (at least-some estimates are 20 billion) every year to tax shelters.  That alone would fund universal day care which in turn saves tons of money down the road (healthier kids means happier and better educated kids, women better able to return to the workforce and pay taxes etc.  Still waiting for a Federal government to go after the rich tax cheats.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cra-tax-gap-foreign-holdings-1.4726983 

"Well-heeled Canadians have hidden up to $240.5 billion in foreign accounts and are dodging up to $3 billion a year in federal tax on those funds, according to the CRA's first ever attempt to estimate how much government revenue is lost from individuals stashing money abroad.

The Canada Revenue Agency arrived at the figure as part of its effort to calculate the country's "tax gap" — the difference between how much the government would collect if everyone paid what they owe, and how much the government actually takes in."

11 hours ago, Mark H. said:

THIS election, last election they were just outright lying about balancing the budget.  They have realized that they can run big deficits, and their followers will just blindly accept this as normal and ok.

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

THIS election, last election they were just outright lying about balancing the budget.  They have realized that they can run big deficits, and their followers will just blindly accept this as normal and ok.

There's a big chunk of fiscally conservative voters down south who are saying the exact same thing right now.  Ontario too.

The problem is the current government is following the playbook of the McGinty/Wynne Liberals in Ontario who created the largest sub sovereign debt load in the world. Ontario pays over a billion a month in interest payments on their debt. The current government is also following the path that every federal government took from the mid 1960s until the mid 1990s which led to the Chretien/Martin cuts because of the poor situation our finances were in (remember they were calling the loonie the northern peso and joking that Canada had honorary third world status). Plus we've lost a ton of foreign investment the past 4 years and our productivity isn't growing. All of those are bad signs.

6 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

The problem is the current government is following the playbook of the McGinty/Wynne Liberals in Ontario who created the largest sub sovereign debt load in the world. Ontario pays over a billion a month in interest payments on their debt. The current government is also following the path that every federal government took from the mid 1960s until the mid 1990s which led to the Chretien/Martin cuts because of the poor situation our finances were in (remember they were calling the loonie the northern peso and joking that Canada had honorary third world status). Plus we've lost a ton of foreign investment the past 4 years and our productivity isn't growing. All of those are bad signs.

Wait, wait, wait... we stopped referring to the loonie as the northern peso? When did this happen? Why wasn't I told?

1 minute ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Yep. It's like bitching at a guy for flying to an interview when his house puts energy back into the system. What's he supposed to do ride his bike cross country?

Good point. 

Interestingly enough... Sheer shouldn't make any mention of the two planes- dude has NO PLAN for climate change. It's like Trudeau critiquing someone's make up application... JT: "Yeah you need to go darker around the edges and blend more..."