Canadian Politics

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

In a 2005 blog post, Scheer questioned whether Michaëlle Jean was a good choice for Canada’s governor general.

“Does it bother you that she is a dual citizen (France and Canada)? Would it bother you if instead of French citizenship, she held U.S. citizenship?” Scheer, then a U.S. citizen, wrote.

Was Scheer not born in Canada?  If so, how could he be a "US citizen"?  He was a dual citizen.  Do you have some sort of context for this comment?

The requirement that you must be a natural born US citizen goes back to when the Constitution was being written in 1787 (6 years after the War of Independence ended). The Americans had just finished a war with the British and did not want anybody born in another country to become their president. Basically a reaction to relatively current events at the time and their impact. If you know history, it makes sense. Now should it be changed since we're 230+ years in the future, yep.

2 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

The requirement that you must be a natural born US citizen goes back to when the Constitution was being written in 1787 (6 years after the War of Independence ended). The Americans had just finished a war with the British and did not want anybody born in another country to become their president. Basically a reaction to relatively current events at the time and their impact. If you know history, it makes sense. Now should it be changed since we're 230+ years in the future, yep.

Kind of like how their whole second amendment should be re-visited, now in context.  At the time they wanted an armed populace to repel the British invasion, which they assumed would be coming from Canada at some point in the future.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

15 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Kind of like how their whole second amendment should be re-visited, now in context.  At the time they wanted an armed populace to repel the British invasion, which they assumed would be coming from Canada at some point in the future.

And one of our primary reasons for Confederation was fear of an invasion by the Americans, after the Civil War. 

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Can't you say the same thing about the Liberals spending to target boutique things to blatantly buy votes? When voters don't hold politicians accountable for irresponsible spending then the governing party can just spend it's way to power every election. To never have balanced budgets is just a disgusting way to govern & it seems most Canadians east of Manitoba are so stupid that they just buy in. Hook. Line.  Sinker.

it was a blanket statement encompassing all parties. I don't want to vote for any of those assholes cause they are all focusing on small petty ****. 

16 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

So JT whose imposed a carbon tax and is Captain Environment has 2 campaign planes. Why does the media not hammer him on this? Oh wait, they're essentially Hos.

Because they're buying carbon offsets.  End of story.

https://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/green-science/carbon-offset.htm

The Beaverton nails it again.

Update: Scheer kept US citizenship secret for fear of being persecuted as a white American man

"REGINA – Conservative leader Andrew Scheer said that he kept his US citizenship a secret until now for fear of being persecuted as a white heterosexual male from the United States.

“I didn’t want anyone to know that, in addition to my Canadian citizenship, I also have roots with a country that’s tremendously different,” said Scheer. “Growing up, I knew the white Catholic Canadian kids from Ottawa would treat a white Catholic Canadian kid from Ottawa with dual citizenship differently. I looked like most of the other kids, which made me feel so different.”

Scheer detailed the difficulties of fitting in, speaking the same language, and struggling to be just like all the other kids who didn’t have the right to vote in US elections or freedom to work in the world’s largest economy.

Scheer was routinely discriminated against in his schooling for not placing a “u” in words such as “colour” and “honour.”"

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2019/10/update-scheer-kept-us-citizenship-secret-for-fear-of-being-persecuted-as-a-white-american-man/

48 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

The equivalent of buying indulgences from the Catholic Church.  I don't think this ends the story at all.  Wasteful behavior is wasteful behavior.  Especially when you hold yourself up as some sort of environmental super-star and virtue signal every chance you get.  Hypocrisy thy name is Trudeau.

Don Martin: The knight in shining armour falls hard from his high horse

Roughly ten years ago, I had lunch with then-backbench MP Justin Trudeau to pitch him on a warts-and-all biography.

The way I figured it, he was five years away from being Liberal leader and eight from being prime minister so a book could introduce him to voters without sugarcoating.

He listened politely before shrugging off the idea, saying he'd never be prime minister. He had too many secrets.

That quip loomed large this week with the three-pack of images showing a younger Justin wearing brown and blackface in various costumes. It makes you wonder if he was referring to those damning photos tucked away in yearbooks somewhere waiting to detonate at the most inopportune time.

If so, it says a lot that an MP eyeing the nation’s top office was hoping his images as a racist would stay buried in time.

Trudeau now insists it was mortified embarrassment at his behavior as a 29-year-old teacher which kept him from disclosing it earlier. Maybe so. More likely it was fear for his political future and the current apology tour is more an act of survival than heartfelt contrition.

https://election.ctvnews.ca/don-martin-the-knight-in-shining-armour-falls-hard-from-his-high-horse-1.4603095

1 hour ago, Wideleft said:

That is responsible and fair. Clean you own mess- novel concept, I approve.

I'm sure there are those ignorant people that will still cry foul about what a shiny pony hypocrite Trudeau is... and yeah they are right he is- just not on this issue. 

Offsets are the best way to continue our dependency on FF yet doong something about it. 

I still don't see how this is such a big issue. Offsets. Done. 

1 minute ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

That is responsible and fair. Clean you own mess- novel concept, I approve.

I'm sure there are those ignorant people that will still cry foul about what a shiny pony hypocrite Trudeau is... and yeah they are right he is- just not on this issue. 

Offsets are the best way to continue our dependency on FF yet doong something about it. 

I still don't see how this is such a big issue. Offsets. Done. 

agree to disagree.  Being actually responsible and less wasteful trumps by a mile being a total pig and then buying indulgences.  Pollution is still pollution, no matter how you slice it.  Blackface boy is once again the hypocrite here.

1 minute ago, kelownabomberfan said:

agree to disagree.  Being actually responsible and less wasteful trumps by a mile being a total pig and then buying indulgences.  Pollution is still pollution, no matter how you slice it.  Blackface boy is once again the hypocrite here.

I have my doubts that you understand how carbon offsets work because you didn't read the article explaining just that.  Your faux outrage about blackface is so rich considering almost everything you've ever posted or danced around regarding multiculturalism/refugees/immigrants etc.  And if you ask me to prove it, you'd better get busy deleting old posts.

This week in climate inaccuracy: let's talk about the two airplanes

"But on the only relatively important level — I say “relatively” because the whole discussion is of so little relevance to Canada’s collective action on climate change that we may as well be discussing the carbon footprint of the catering at campaign events — there is the question of whether Scheer’s “hypocrisy” claim holds water. Let’s dig a bit deeper on that.

Consider the centrepiece of the Liberals’ climate plan: the carbon tax. The core logic of a carbon tax is that the best way to change collective behaviour on climate change is to make polluting activities more expensive. In lieu of, just for instance, curtailing air travel altogether, the carbon tax makes flying a bit pricier. If, again, just for instance, the managers of a national election campaign still want to fly, they can pay more. Choosing to pay even more through voluntary offsets on top of whatever surcharge the carbon tax builds into their flights only underscores the argument the Liberals are making to all Canadians, which is that if your activities generate emissions, those activities should cost more. This is not hypocrisy, but pretty tidy logical consistency.

Hypocrisy, on the other hand, might be, yet again, just for instance, spending the first weeks of the campaign (and the first several pages of your climate-policy brochure) spreading falsehoods about the impact of carbon taxes and then attacking your opponent on national TV over an inconsequential climate-related detail, all to mask the utter lack of substance in your own climate plan."

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2019/10/03/opinion/week-climate-inaccuracy-lets-talk-about-two-airplanes

See... this is one of my biggest concerns about the cons- rejecting evidence, science and facts to drive that ideological narrative of theirs... next comes suppression and gag orders on science and experts- went through it once- what a truly despicable era that was... 

And here we go again...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/scheer-british-columbia-carbon-tax-analysis-wherry-1.5304364

Facts and experts say Carbon tax works (people use less if it costs more? Who would have thunk It?)... cons come along and say- "evidence smevidence, it doesn't work!"

We can't make decisions to better our country if we dont have an evidence based decision making process in making those choices...

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

21 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

I have my doubts that you understand how carbon offsets work because you didn't read the article explaining just that.  Your faux outrage about blackface is so rich considering almost everything you've ever posted or danced around regarding multiculturalism/refugees/immigrants etc.  And if you ask me to prove it, you'd better get busy deleting old posts.

I know how carbon offsets work.  I also know that there is no excuse for wanton wastefulness, especially coming from someone as virtuous as Blackface boy.  Making excuses for his crappy behavior really shows who the real environmentalists are here.  And that seems to be me!  Even though I honestly don't think there is much to the theory of man-made climate change to begin with. Either you care about the environment, and try to curb your activity, or you don't care.  There is no middle ground.  Blackface boy is a hypocrite.

12 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

We can't make decisions to better our country if we dont have an evidence based decision making process in making those choices...

I agree.  This is why I like Scheer's environmental plan, instead of just wantonly taxing people.  Blackface boy just doesn't get it.

37 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I know how carbon offsets work.  I also know that there is no excuse for wanton wastefulness, especially coming from someone as virtuous as Blackface boy.  Making excuses for his crappy behavior really shows who the real environmentalists are here.  And that seems to be me!  Even though I honestly don't think there is much to the theory of man-made climate change to begin with. Either you care about the environment, and try to curb your activity, or you don't care.  There is no middle ground.  Blackface boy is a hypocrite.

I totally read your posts with a Trump voice in my head now.

It sucks that the two main parties are close to unelectable... 

One you have a veiled demagogue who shuns science, facts and evidence based decision making. Rewards those people with racist and homophobic ties with senior staff positions to assist in policy making. Who has no plan on climate change. Rewards with forgiveness and approval to those candidates who have made racist and homophobic slurs... a hypocrite and a liar.

Then we have a liar and a hypocrite who dressed up in brownface 20 years ago... 

I would 100% take Trudeau over sheer- solely on the fact that he is less dangerous... and that is a sad state of our politics here in Canada...

I would vote for either green or ndp- but that is pretty much eating my vote... So that leaves to have to strategically vote against the harm the cons will bring... 

Sucks.

1 minute ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

It sucks that the two main parties are close to unelectable... 

One you have a veiled demagogue who shuns science, facts and evidence based decision making. Rewards those people with racist and homophobic ties with senior staff positions to assist in policy making. Who has no plan on climate change. Rewards with forgiveness and approval to those candidates who have made racist and homophobic slurs... a hypocrite and a liar.

Then we have a liar and a hypocrite who dressed up in brownface 20 years ago... 

I would 100% take Trudeau over sheer- solely on the fact that he is less dangerous... and that is a sad state of our politics here in Canada...

I would vote for either green or ndp- but that is pretty much eating my vote... So that leaves to have to strategically vote against the harm the cons will bring... 

Sucks.

Welcome to my life. 

Just now, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Changed my mind. Could care less unless you call out someone else for having 2 citizenships.

Agreed- when sheer called out the GG for dual citizenship when he himself is one when running for PM. Ugh- so hypocritical. 

He's running for pm with dual citizenship- good for him, I could care less... but it's the hypocrisy that makes him less of a viable candidate.