Canadian Politics

19 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

My feelings are the other way.  I want a break from the 4 year shitshow we've had to endure from Blackface Trudeau and his Tides Foundation jerks that are his puppet-masters.  No more of those dark days thank you.  I do think though that the only way we get a break from the dark days we are enduring is a Conservative majority.  Otherwise we'll have the Libs and New Dems gang up and form a government like the NDP and Greens did here in BC.  

About this Tides Foundation malarkey which aligns with Jason Kenny's "war room against oil opponents" - a former Crown Prosecutor has done 9 months of digging and data analysis and finds that it's all BS.

She judiciously counters the following myths:

Myth 1: Powerful American foundations have subjected Alberta to a targeted campaign of economic sabotage, turning the province into a 'whipping boy.'

Myth 2: Environmental funders give a free pass to U.S. oil and gas projects, allowing American production to soar while Alberta stalls.

Myth 3: Pipeline opposition grants dominate foreign funding in Canada.

Myth 4: U.S.-based foundations, led by the Rockefeller Brothers Fund, have made Alberta a central focus of their strategy.

Myth 5: The Tar Sands Campaign is directed out of San Francisco by an organization called CorpEthics International, and its principal, Michael Marx.

Myth 6: Tides is the 'funding and co-ordination juggernaut' behind anti-pipeline activism.

Myth 7: Land and marine conservation grants from the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation are a hidden part of anti-pipeline efforts.

Myth 8: Foreign money made all the difference.

Myth 9: The Canadian oil sector is a victim, out-funded by large foreign foundations.

A data-based dismantling of Jason Kenney's foreign-funding conspiracy theory

"As long as the foreign funding conspiracy theory was a lone researcher’s crusade, this thing had a great run.

Underdogs are popular, and suspicion of foreign plotting is a guaranteed box office winner.

Now that it’s official Alberta government policy, however, things are about to get a lot trickier.

The foreign funding conspiracy theory is a house of sand, where every pillar crumbles to the touch.

At its core, this theory, which Jason Kenney has adopted as the Alberta government's, is that the province has been targeted by a cabal of American foundations led by the Rockefellers in a deliberate campaign of economic sabotage.

By directing money and influence to an anti-pipeline movement called the Tar Sands Campaign, these foundations seek to advance American energy interests by landlocking Canadian oil.

As I wrote earlier in September, the sham outrage over foreign money is just a cynical ruse. Unscrupulous governments are employing it around the world to discredit, silence and intimidate environmental dissent, and ultimately to choke off resources to activist groups.

Nobody cares about foreign money, least of all Jason Kenney."

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2019/10/03/analysis/data-based-dismantling-jason-kenneys-foreign-funding-conspiracy-theory?fbclid=IwAR3IQaBOMBznIKyZp6D9irEu1dG5q6L3RL3MAaxVgmFblXlm83zjC0zlOS4

The Woke Will Always Break Your Heart

Canadian progressives have to decide whether they care more about Justin Trudeau’s policy achievements or his offensive style.

"The 2019 election is a test for Canadian progressives: style or substance. The Liberal government of Justin Trudeau is the most successful progressive government in the world. It instituted a carbon tax and legalized marijuana. Last year, for the first time, Canada settled more refugees than any other country. Because of higher government benefits, child poverty is at its lowest level in history. Economic growth this year reached 3 percent. That is what Trudeau has done. He also appeared in brownface at an Aladdin-themed costume party in 2001 at the age of 29."

"The main criticism from Trudeau’s opponents on the right has usually been that he’s a spoiled brat—a son of privilege—not up to running the country. A faker. The brownface debacle has now become, on the left, a symbol of his lack of real commitment to progressive values. But the cross-party consensus that Trudeau is slight and phony doesn’t survive even a cursory examination of his record. An independent assessment by two dozen Canadian academics found that Trudeau has kept 92 percent of his campaign promises, the most by any Canadian government in 35 years. He is measurably, demonstrably the most sincere and effective prime minister in living memory. He is the rare case of a man whose virtue-signaling has distracted from his real virtues.

Only the left struggles with these standards of style. Right-wing political opponents in Canada and elsewhere have a completely different understanding of acceptable behavior. In the United States, President Donald Trump’s supporters take his brand of nastiness, his aggressive rejection of even the most basic social norms, as a sign of authenticity. Meanwhile, Senator Elizabeth Warren is still apologizing for her Cherokee-ancestry claim."

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/10/trudeaus-progressive-style/599203/?fbclid=IwAR0GbnDOezq1Kb5-0t7b9w1up5dSbgTR7OueiCfMIP9bAMlfQ6GEN-1Qp44

Edited by Wideleft

10 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

The Woke Will Always Break Your Heart

Canadian progressives have to decide whether they care more about Justin Trudeau’s policy achievements or his offensive style.

"The 2019 election is a test for Canadian progressives: style or substance. The Liberal government of Justin Trudeau is the most successful progressive government in the world. It instituted a carbon tax and legalized marijuana. Last year, for the first time, Canada settled more refugees than any other country. Because of higher government benefits, child poverty is at its lowest level in history. Economic growth this year reached 3 percent. That is what Trudeau has done. He also appeared in brownface at an Aladdin-themed costume party in 2001 at the age of 29."

"The main criticism from Trudeau’s opponents on the right has usually been that he’s a spoiled brat—a son of privilege—not up to running the country. A faker. The brownface debacle has now become, on the left, a symbol of his lack of real commitment to progressive values. But the cross-party consensus that Trudeau is slight and phony doesn’t survive even a cursory examination of his record. An independent assessment by two dozen Canadian academics found that Trudeau has kept 92 percent of his campaign promises, the most by any Canadian government in 35 years. He is measurably, demonstrably the most sincere and effective prime minister in living memory. He is the rare case of a man whose virtue-signaling has distracted from his real virtues.

Only the left struggles with these standards of style. Right-wing political opponents in Canada and elsewhere have a completely different understanding of acceptable behavior. In the United States, President Donald Trump’s supporters take his brand of nastiness, his aggressive rejection of even the most basic social norms, as a sign of authenticity. Meanwhile, Senator Elizabeth Warren is still apologizing for her Cherokee-ancestry claim."

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/10/trudeaus-progressive-style/599203/?fbclid=IwAR0GbnDOezq1Kb5-0t7b9w1up5dSbgTR7OueiCfMIP9bAMlfQ6GEN-1Qp44

That was an excellent article- thanks for sharing, really appreciate it.

4 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

That was an excellent article- thanks for sharing, really appreciate it.

He's a good writer.  I'm interested in this now: 

"How Not To **** Up Your Kids Too Bad -- A Guide to Modern Fatherhood" has been released on Audible, May 2018. 

7 hours ago, Wideleft said:

Because they're buying carbon offsets.  End of story.

https://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/green-science/carbon-offset.htm

Ha. ha. Yeah, that just makes it okay. Just keep polluting because Trudeau's Liberals paid for the right to do it. Doesn't help the world but it helps make Trudeau's pals rich. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

8 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Ha. ha. Yeah, that just makes it okay. Just keep polluting because Trudeau's Liberals paid for the right to do it. Doesn't help the world but it helps make Trudeau's pals rich. 

So tell me what's greener:  Carbon offsets X2 for 2 polluting planes or 1 polluting plane with no carbon offsets.  FFS, the Conservatives don't even try!

7 hours ago, Wideleft said:

Because they're buying carbon offsets.  End of story.

https://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/green-science/carbon-offset.htm

I'm aware of how they work. You do know that the company selling them has stated its better not to fly at all.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/carbon-offsets-airplane-emissions_ca_5d974d76e4b0da7f66259f1a

My point was that campaigning on how great you are for the environment and then having two planes is very do as I say, not as I do and that he should be called out more.

Just like wanna-b-fanboy made a good point on Sheer and dual citizenship.

10 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

What is a virtue signaler?

It's a trope designed to stifle language that supports progressive and empathetic thoughts and goals.  It suggests that "left" thinkers have to be perfect while allowing those on the right to say and do whatever the hell they want.

Nothing more and nothing less.

Also see:  "tree hugger", "liberal", "democrat".

I wonder if JT's reluctance to remove members has anything to do with the rumours about his own conduct (not to mention the blackface scandal which hasnt been much of a scandal since so many liberal supporters dont seem to think there is anything wrong with it).  Talked to a media buddy of mine and he thinks the rumour of JT's reason for leaving a teaching gig mid semester are true and will hit the mainstream soon. (reports are out there).

10 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I wonder if JT's reluctance to remove members has anything to do with the rumours about his own conduct (not to mention the blackface scandal which hasnt been much of a scandal since so many liberal supporters dont seem to think there is anything wrong with it).  Talked to a media buddy of mine and he thinks the rumour of JT's reason for leaving a teaching gig mid semester are true and will hit the mainstream soon. (reports are out there).

If the rumour is true, man is that bad stuff.

4 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

English debate tonight. I expect Bernier to throw gasoline on the fire.

Complete waste of time to watch. Never should allow the Bloc to participate because all they do is sidetrack the debate into a petty regional (ie. Quebec) pissing match. 

I don't want to vote for any of those assholes. All but Scheer basically made promises to **** Alberta right up the ass without even the courtesy of a reach around, but man the Conservative platform of "Don't you hate Trudeau?" is the most uninspiring thing ever when you can tell that their whole plan is the same as Ford and Kenney just ******* **** up worse so that a few people can get just a tiny bit richer. 

I think some of the most shocking/rattling findings for me in this survey had to do with some of the giant, colossal misconceptions ppl in Canada have about WHERE our permanent residents are coming from. Just check out this graphic: #elxn43

CanadaVoter_2019.png

EGX9p-PVAAAspkI?format=jpg&name=small

http://angusreid.org/election-2019-immigration/

Edited by Wideleft