Canadian Politics

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/online-news-act-google-facebook-meta-1.6897186

Good. Do the domestic media giants, grocery giants, petroleum giants, and banking giants next.

We are ruled by a handful of corporations and this gov't has done nothing to help. They could have blocked mergers and introduced new measures to protect consumers. They have chosen the opposite. Even this is siding with a couple of mega-corps over other mega-corps. 

26 minutes ago, JCon said:

We are ruled by a handful of corporations and this gov't has done nothing to help. They could have blocked mergers and introduced new measures to protect consumers. They have chosen the opposite. Even this is siding with a couple of mega-corps over other mega-corps. 

Canadian companies are so coddled its ridiculous.  Government protects their oligopolies rather than forcing them to actually have to compete. 

Just now, 17to85 said:

Canadian companies are so coddled its ridiculous.  Government protects their oligopolies rather than forcing them to actually have to compete. 

My biggest beef is how they treat every merger/buyout as individual requests, rather than looking at the entire industry. They pretend that each action doesn't have a greater overall impact. 

The hedge fund buying out The Star is just the latest example. And, Rogers buyout of Shaw before that. 

On 2023-07-05 at 9:57 AM, JCon said:

My biggest beef is how they treat every merger/buyout as individual requests, rather than looking at the entire industry. They pretend that each action doesn't have a greater overall impact. 

The hedge fund buying out The Star is just the latest example. And, Rogers buyout of Shaw before that. 

Thank goodness this was cancelled because the govt would not have helped consumers. 

shbUgOSK_normal.jpg

On the one hand we're furious we didn't get -100%. On the other being more trusted than Rebel and Fox is hilarious.

\/

OQxSVQFv_normal.jpg

Net Trust In (X): Weather network: +62%
CTV: +55%
Global: +53%
CBC: +51%
BBC: +42%
Globe: +40%
Canadian Press: +38%
National Post: +30%
CNN: +29%
Macleans: +28%
Toronto Star: +26%
Sun papers: +4%
Western Standard: -2%
Beaverton: -5%
Rebel media: -8%
Fox: -27% - Pollara -

1 minute ago, Wideleft said:

Harper is blowing smoke up Erdogon's ass and Conservatives are proclaiming "Trudeau is destroying Canada!!!"

Meanwhile:

Facts like this and other facts that favour Canada in comparison to other countries like the US mean absolutely nothing because all I hear constantly in my travels is:

'I'm pro-business stupid Woke libtards, F Trudeau stupid dipshit, pile of dogshit, big dummy, drama teacher, so corrupt, worst Prime Minister ever, he's causing businesses, corporations, hard working people that build this economy that create millions of jobs to leave this country and/or go out of business. Look at how great the USA is when it comes to capitalism and business. Western Canada should separate but stupid BC won't do it'. 

These are the same people that tell immigrants to leave if they don't like our country. 

11 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Facts like this and other facts that favour Canada in comparison to other countries like the US mean absolutely nothing because all I hear constantly in my travels is:

'I'm pro-business stupid Woke libtards, F Trudeau stupid dipshit, pile of dogshit, big dummy, drama teacher, so corrupt, worst Prime Minister ever, he's causing businesses, corporations, hard working people that build this economy that create millions of jobs to leave this country and/or go out of business. Look at how great the USA is when it comes to capitalism and business. Western Canada should separate but stupid BC won't do it'. 

These are the same people that tell immigrants to leave if they don't like our country. 

The most important stat is their white privilege is not worth as much as it used to. That's what they're complaining about. 

29 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

He doesn't seem done to me.  Well worth the 6 minutes.

Was recently talking with an in-law who is a staunch CPC supporter and he was adamant that JPT will continue to get elected because there's more of Canada that equate with "his values" than there are who equate to PP and the CPC. He openly said he wished more of Canada believed what they believe in the small town Canadian prairies, but... For now, the votes are with the progressives.

Personally, I hope he's right....

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Was recently talking with an in-law who is a staunch CPC supporter and he was adamant that JPT will continue to get elected because there's more of Canada that equate with "his values" than there are who equate to PP and the CPC. He openly said he wished more of Canada believed what they believe in the small town Canadian prairies, but... For now, the votes are with the progressives.

Personally, I hope he's right....

It occurred to me as I was in downtown Toronto last year with all the massive apartment buildings that I was thankful these people mostly vote progressive.

You could fit a lot of small prairie towns into just one of those buildings.

4 hours ago, Wideleft said:

It occurred to me as I was in downtown Toronto last year with all the massive apartment buildings that I was thankful these people mostly vote progressive.

You could fit a lot of small prairie towns into just one of those buildings.

Toronto elected Rob Ford. Twice. I have no faith in them as voters 😁

But at least I now know that I can excuse any of my behaviour by saying I might have done it "in one of my drunken stupors."

Toronto mayor Rob Ford admits using crack cocaine in a 'drunken stupor' | Rob Ford | The Guardian

Edited by WildPath
Video link added - Too hilarious to not include.

Depends on who votes right. Young ppl likely dig Trudeau where as the straight white middle aged male likely leans conservative federally but that's because we used to have all the money and Land, we still do but it's not as fun now. 

God help us If PP gets in. I have faith tho that the fringe vocal minority groups that we used to ignore b4 social media was a thing will still be ignored. 

In the end tho us prairie folks in Manitoba Saskatchewan and Alberta who tend to go conservatives federally, we don't matter. Not saying I vote conservative,  I'm just saying we live in blue provinces. Winnipeg sometimes is orange tho. 

Edited by Goalie

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

In the end tho us prairie folks in Manitoba Saskatchewan and Alberta who tend to go conservatives federally, we don't matter. Not saying I vote conservative,  I'm just saying we live in blue provinces. Winnipeg sometimes is orange tho. 

Winnipeg pretty consistently elects all 3 mainstream parties.

Loud and proud, Danielle Smith is not disputing how politics should be conducted, the UPC is now in a position to help their friends and partners with govt. contracts and they're open about doing so.

The Alberta government has awarded a $1.5-million contract to a marketing agency where Premier Danielle Smith's former leadership campaign manager is part-owner and executive producer, government records show.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/danielle-smith-alberta-matthew-altheim-united-conservative-party-1.6904651

1 minute ago, Fatty Liver said:

Loud and proud, Danielle Smith is not disputing how politics should be conducted, the UPC is now in a position to help their friends and partners with govt. contracts and they're open about doing so.

The Alberta government has awarded a $1.5-million contract to a marketing agency where Premier Danielle Smith's former leadership campaign manager is part-owner and executive producer, government records show.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/danielle-smith-alberta-matthew-altheim-united-conservative-party-1.6904651

It's all a Con.