Canadian Politics

8 hours ago, Mark H. said:

I have made a point of watching question period for a number of years.  The behaviour of the current group of Conservatives is ridiculous.

That’s what happens when a group believes in a Trump approach. It makes them feel good inside. It’s who they are as people. They are not true conservatives. They’re knuckle draggers who have seized on an opportunity.

11 hours ago, WildPath said:

Not only is she making a disgusting comparison, she's also dismissing the value of high academic standards.

She doesn't know what those bolded words mean.

5 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

That’s what happens when a group believes in a Trump approach. It makes them feel good inside. It’s who they are as people. They are not true conservatives. They’re knuckle draggers who have seized on an opportunity.

I feel like the mask has come off true conservatism in the last decade or so. And it's a pretty hideous visage underneath.

13 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

More tactics from the MAGAt Playbook.

No matter the political flag one falls under, any mention of machine irregularities and fake voters should be met with a demand for evidence now and if it can't be produced immediately, heavy fines and jail time are the next steps.

This is where the Judicial system needs to do it's damn job. 

A lawyer friend once told me something that applies to right-wing politics and seems particularly apt with the looming elections in Manitoba and Alberta. She was told that there are two ways to approach trying a case in court: If you have a sound case, you "pound the law". If you do not, you "pound the table". The right-wingers are so bereft of any cogent policies for governing that all they have left is to try to inflame their base by flailing away with grotesque attacks on anyone or anything they think might resonate with the fears and hatreds of their flock. All we can do is vote with our consciences and hope some of the undecided voters will become revulsed with the Cons' policies and utterances and throw the miscreants out.

14 minutes ago, Tracker said:

A lawyer friend once told me something that applies to right-wing politics and seems particularly apt with the looming elections in Manitoba and Alberta. She was told that there are two ways to approach trying a case in court: If you have a sound case, you "pound the law". If you do not, you "pound the table". The right-wingers are so bereft of any cogent policies for governing that all they have left is to try to inflame their base by flailing away with grotesque attacks on anyone or anything they think might resonate with the fears and hatreds of their flock. All we can do is vote with our consciences and hope some of the undecided voters will become revulsed with the Cons' policies and utterances and throw the miscreants out.

LOL. Hyperbole much.

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

No matter the political flag one falls under, any mention of machine irregularities and fake voters should be met with a demand for evidence now and if it can't be produced immediately, heavy fines and jail time are the next steps.

This is where the Judicial system needs to do it's damn job. 

I agree. I thought is was stupid when this all started back in the Al Gore days, and now it seems even more ridiculous each time it is trotted out. It is nothing but fearmongering of the democratic process by sore losers.

5 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

You couldn't pay me enough - to be the speaker right now.  

1 hour ago, Wideleft said:

Excerpt from CBC News A story by Joel Dryden

"Minister Shandro stated that Premier Smith was passive/aggressive throughout the call. She asked him specifically if there was anything he could do about Mr. Pawlowski's case," she wrote. 

"She wanted him to make it go away, although she did not direct him to do so. She was concerned about a press conference that Mr. Pawlowski said he was going to have and how bad the optics would be for the party.

"Minister Shandro told her there was nothing that could be done, and she accepted his advice.

There were no further conversations between Minister Shandro and the premier on this subject."

This is a snapshot of who these people are and how they are wired not just on this specific issue.

Yea I get it that many are like this to varying degrees, but that's the key part of the sentence, to varying degrees. So not all the same but with similarities with varying degrees of impact and magnitude.

If one says they are thoughtful critically thinking people but still cast their vote for a person who will take their orders from someone like this I would suggest your motives in doing so do not match the first part of this sentence.  

How else am I suppose to say this without being clumped into 'you all are just mean and nasty to one another'?

46 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

She wanted him to make it go away, although she did not direct him to do so.

"In a 2017 appearance before the Senate Intelligence Committee, former FBI director James Comey testified that US President Donald Trump had told him that he "hoped" Comey could "let go" of any investigation into Michael Flynn; when asked if he would take "I hope", coming from the president, as a directive, Comey answered, "Yes."

Poilievre doubles down: https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/fake-job-poilievre-won-t-meet-foreign-interference-special-rapporteur-1.6404306

OTTAWA - Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre said Thursday that he has chosen not to meet with former governor general David Johnston, who is investigating allegations that China has meddled in Canada's elections and other matters, while former party staffers called for political unity over foreign interference.

Poilievre told reporters Thursday that he sent a letter to Johnston asking how he can investigate the organization independently, but did not receive a response.

"He is Justin Trudeau's ski buddy, his cottage neighbour, his family friend and a member of the Trudeau Foundation, which got $140,000 from Beijing," Poilievre said.

"He has a fake job and he's unable to do it impartially. He needs to simply hand it over and allow an independent public inquiry into Beijing's interference."

Poilievre said Canada needs to move on from the "special rapporteur distraction" and get on with a public inquiry to investigate allegations of Chinese foreign interference.

7 hours ago, GCn20 said:

LOL. Hyperbole much?

It is not hyperbole when you consider the attacks on LGBTQ people, natives, and Asians by the right wingers as well as their tacit and sometimes overt promotion of "Christian" values as well as their alleged adherence to Biblical rules. Even in Canada, the right-wingers have sought to muzzle independent media, conduct their governance in secret and even engage in election-fixing. Hatred ultimately creates violence as evinced by the increases in explicit threats and  physical attacks on abortion clinics and staff, mosques and offices of progressives. This rhetoric created Donald Trump and Pierre Poilievre. The FBI in 2020 called right-wing extremism the greatest threat to America. 

Ignore the obvious much?

Edited by Tracker

51 minutes ago, Tracker said:

It is not hyperbole when you consider the attacks on LGBTQ people, natives, and Asians by the right wingers as well as their tacit and sometimes overt promotion of "Christian" values as well as their alleged adherence to Biblical rules. Even in Canada, the right-wingers have sought to muzzle independent media, conduct their governance in secret and even engage in election-fixing. Hatred ultimately creates violence as evinced by the increases in explicit threats and  physical attacks on abortion clinics and staff, mosques and offices of progressives. This rhetoric created Donald Trump and Pierre Poilievre. The FBI in 2020 called right-wing extremism the greatest threat to America. 

Ignore the obvious much?

All gaslighters have are catch phrases that begin or end with all caps lol with an exclamation mark for good measure.

Edited by HardCoreBlue

3 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

So basically PP will only participate if he gets to pick the investigter?

He set it up from the very beginning by casting doubt on who would be picked. He gets to have it both ways - he can avoid participating, while still claiming there is a big issue that is not being dealt with.

I really don't see how those who will vote for him don't see through his bluster and B.S. It is like he's playing the bad guy in a low budget after school special sometimes.

11 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I just don't understand why people think a guy who's only career has been pointing out what others are doing wrong is fotnto lead anything.

Because there's nothing rational about any of it. His fervent supporters are as outrage-addicted, uninformed, depraved, and vacuous as he is.

Case in point:

Despite being a career politician, he seems to have no idea how anything actually functions related to the PMO.

Everything "wrong" with the country is the fault of a single elected official according to him and his braindead acolytes.

He presents no solutions because he has none. All he has is fabricated outrage and they gobble it up with demented glee.

16 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Because there's nothing rational about any of it. His fervent supporters are as outrage-addicted, uninformed, depraved, and vacuous as he is.

I used to get together with a guy.... he disliked Justin Trudeau strongly.

I asked him which of Trudeau's policies he disliked.

silence, he couldn't name a single thing.

These people are just not that bright.

19 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Case in point:

Despite being a career politician, he seems to have no idea how anything actually functions related to the PMO.

Everything "wrong" with the country is the fault of a single elected official according to him and his braindead acolytes.

He presents no solutions because he has none. All he has is fabricated outrage and they gobble it up with demented glee.

PP has nothing to offer except feigned outrage and that will wear thin in time. And yes, he has no concept about the division of powers in government.

how do they figure they know the interest rates are going to spike 3 years from now?? Everything I've heard/read/seen, says that they're going to start coming back down in the final quarter of '23.....

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

how do they figure they know the interest rates are going to spike 3 years from now?? Everything I've heard/read/seen, says that they're going to start coming back down in the final quarter of '23.....

They don't. It's simply a facet of rage-baiting meant to keep useful idiots afraid.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

PP has nothing to offer except feigned outrage and that will wear thin in time. And yes, he has no concept about the division of powers in government.

Eeyore here. Will it though? With the dumbing down of society I'm not confident with the bolded part of your sentence.

8 minutes ago, Noeller said:

the figures they are pointing out are pretty accurate... if you took out a mortgage in 2020, it was like (average) 2.03% 2.43% - the mortgage rate projected in 2025 (after the 5 yr term is up) will be roughly 4.5 or higher. 

That is a serious increase in your mortgage payments...  so if you are paying around 1500$ a month now for your mortgage- you will be looking at 2500 to 3000$ payments per month.