Canadian Politics

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Smith reaching out to Trudeau today for help with the AB wildfires that are currently raging..... CON's don't know what to do or think about this. 

Cons truly are the moody teenagers. "Screw you dad! I'm moving out and I never want to see you again! I don't need you!"

"Daddddyyyyy!!!!! I need help and money!!!!"

12 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

If this public health measure (not forced, had a choice to take it or not) that was trying to keep up with this ever evolving pandemic which we are still learning about it till this day (that's how science works) was so diabolical and had socially responsible people hoping unvaccinated people would die (Citation, 'I heard') then make it a platform for all of us to see.

Edited by HardCoreBlue

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/canada-expels-chinese-diplomat-accused-targeting-lawmaker-2023-05-08/

OTTAWA, May 8 (Reuters) - Canada on Monday expelled Toronto-based Chinese diplomat Zhao Wei after an intelligence report accused him of trying to target a Canadian lawmaker critical of China's treatment of its Uyghur Muslim minority.

"Canada has decided to declare persona non grata Mr. Zhao Wei," Canadian Foreign Minister Melanie Joly said in a statement.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-expelling-chinese-diplomat-1.6836336

The federal government is expelling a diplomat accused of targeting Conservative MP Michael Chong's family.

The government has been under intense pressure to sanction Zhao Wei, who reportedly played a role in attempts to gather information on Chong's family in Hong Kong in 2021 following the MP's condemnation of Beijing's conduct in the Xinjiang region as genocide.

"We will not tolerate any form of foreign interference in our internal affairs," Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly said in a statement posted on Twitter.

"Diplomats in Canada have been warned that if they engage in this type of behaviour, they will be sent home."

The Globe and Mail, citing a top secret document from 2021, reported last week that the Chinese government was targeting a Canadian MP. An unnamed security source reportedly told The Globe that Zhao was allegedly working on efforts to target Chong's family in China.

4 hours ago, Noeller said:

Smith reaching out to Trudeau today for help with the AB wildfires that are currently raging..... CON's don't know what to do or think about this. 

In an eerie synchronicity, Putin is having the same problems in Russia.

I watched some of those question periods on the Chinese interference / threats issue - it got hot and heavy

Joly and Mendicino were quite worried about economic blow back and other sanctions from China

It sounds like Chong is very much respected on both sides of the house - intelligent and thoughtful

One has to wonder...why he is not considered leadership material?

5 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

In specific cases, it's not about denouncing people who aren't progressive enough.

It's about what we can tolerate (each will have their list) and what we can't tolerate (each will have their list). That's education in itself.

That is totally fair.  I just have a problem with how the denouncing is often done.

52 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

I watched some of those question periods on the Chinese interference / threats issue - it got hot and heavy

Joly and Mendicino were quite worried about economic blow back and other sanctions from China

It sounds like Chong is very much respected on both sides of the house - intelligent and thoughtful

That is totally fair.  I just have a problem with how the denouncing is often done.

I would bet that Chong is of the wrong ethnicity to have a shot at the leadership of the current PC party.

3 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

If this public health measure (not forced, had a choice to take it or not) that was trying to keep up with this ever evolving pandemic which we are still learning about it till this day (that's how science works) was so diabolical and had socially responsible people hoping unvaccinated people would die (Citation, 'I heard') then make it a platform for all of us to see.

From the Canadian Press:

Notley called the Nazi comments "utterly horrifying." 

“What we have here is a premier who is looking at over 75 per cent of Albertans who stepped up, who followed the (COVID) science and respected the requests that were made by public health officials to protect themselves, their neighbours and Alberta's most vulnerable citizens and everybody who needed our hospitals — and she's comparing those Albertans, 75 per cent of them, to the architects of an antisemitic genocide.

“Albertans, you deserve better. You deserve so much better.”

This is another example of many with DS in deciding what one can tolerate versus what one can't tolerate. 

For some I've noticed there is no threshold.

55 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

This is another example of many with DS in deciding what one can tolerate versus what one can't tolerate. 

For some I've noticed there is no threshold.

The kind of stuff is beyond the pale and not what I was referring to at all.

35 minutes ago, Tracker said:

That may be true, but there is a lot more diversity in the Liberal party than in the PCs. 

The leaders call the shots. Most voters base a higher percentage of their vote on the leader.  

2 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Answered your own question. 

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

I would bet that Chong is of the wrong ethnicity to have a shot at the leadership of the current PC party.

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

I would make the same bet about the Liberals across the aisle.  

I would bet that you are both right.

As progressive as we think we are as Canadians... we are not that progressive. I don't foresee a non-white PM anytime soon, which is very unfortunate because you are not using 100% of the talent pool.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/alberta-wildfires-rapattack-team-cuts-1.6837064

Former members of an elite Alberta wildfire-fighting crew say government budget cuts have left the province battling its current blazes short-handed.

firefighters were trained to rappel from helicopters to get at wildfires while they still only covered a few hectares. When one storm sparked several fires, they could extinguish them before they merged. They also cleared landing spaces for other helicopters to bring in crews and gear.

That program once had 63 firefighters stationed around the province, including at Edson, Fox Creek and Lac La Biche — communities now threatened by one of the busiest early fire seasons in provincial history.

But that program was cut in 2019 by the United Conservative government.

"They told us the program had been eliminated," said former member Adam Clyne. "They just said budget."

The saving was $1.4 million. The province's wildfire budget for 2019 was about $117 million.