Canadian Politics

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

Stefanson was, I believe, the minister of health who made all the major cuts there that led to the lack of capacity to respond to the COVID, not to mention increasing wait times on knee and hip replacements from 12-15 months to 2 1/2 years + where it is now. She is going to have to wear that.

No more then the assault allegations on the Wab.

5 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

As some reporters have said, party makes the rules, Court can't and will not do anything. You could draw a name out of a hat.

The funniest part of this for me is that the anti-vaxxers paid the PC party membership fees to vote in the election and now they are right pissed off and likely feeling a little dumb.

12 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Pretty sure that was Cameron Friesen or Kelvin Goertzen

Not to mention following recommendations put forth by consultants hired by the previous NDP government. 

I fully recognize that change is hard but the insistence of some to keep calling the health care changes “cuts” I just don’t understand. How can spending more but doing it differently ever be considered cuts? Only when you let the unions tell one side of the story and ignore the other.

No publicly funded health care system can be staffed at capacity for a once in a lifetime pandemic. It’s only natural that resources needing to be redeployed for an emergency situation. While delays in surgeries is an incredible quality of life issue for some the saving of lives must take priority. It is not a MB only issue and isn’t just a PC issue.

(disclaimer: I’m a political orphan that has previously support the MB PC’s. Unknown where I will park my next vote and struggling to find anyone to support)

1 hour ago, GCJenks said:

Not to mention following recommendations put forth by consultants hired by the previous NDP government. 

I fully recognize that change is hard but the insistence of some to keep calling the health care changes “cuts” I just don’t understand. How can spending more but doing it differently ever be considered cuts? Only when you let the unions tell one side of the story and ignore the other.

No publicly funded health care system can be staffed at capacity for a once in a lifetime pandemic. It’s only natural that resources needing to be redeployed for an emergency situation. While delays in surgeries is an incredible quality of life issue for some the saving of lives must take priority. It is not a MB only issue and isn’t just a PC issue.

(disclaimer: I’m a political orphan that has previously support the MB PC’s. Unknown where I will park my next vote and struggling to find anyone to support)

Canada sometimes suffers from living next door to one of the worst healthcare systems in the world. ( By far the most expensive and 32nd in life expectancy last time I looked ) . It makes Canadians real jumpy about changes to healthcare. I love our system but there are definatly weaknesses that need addressing.

1 hour ago, GCJenks said:

Unions believe if wages and manpower aren't increased 5% a year that equates to a cut. The budget says there have been increases to healthcare year over year. Is it enough? That's a question we will answer at the polls next election, but it is entirely disingenuous to call them cuts.

21 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Unions believe if wages and manpower aren't increased 5% a year that equates to a cut. The budget says there have been increases to healthcare year over year. Is it enough? That's a question we will answer at the polls next election, but it is entirely disingenuous to call them cuts.

There were real, not imagined cuts to healthcare by the PCs. At Concordia, for example, They were ordered in 2018 to reduce knee and hip replacements by a third, lengthening wait times by over a year but producing very little savings. During Filmon's tenure  almost 1,000 nurses were laid off.

6 hours ago, GCJenks said:

The problem is reallocation/spending differently/finding efficiencies is basically shining the cuts turd. The strategy is to announce reallocation and efficiencies found because of previous government overspending and wastefulness. The reality is that the system is being cut. Even touting overall spending increases does not mean we are keeping up with a growing population or a population with increased needs.

Announcements like the one linked below show there are real cuts, even in the middle of the pandemic. It is promoted as efficiencies and cutting the fat off the top. Who has to take the responsibilities from the ones who lost their job? It trickles down to regular health professionals like nurses that have more on their shoulders. The budget looks better because nurses get paid less than senior officials, but nurses are overworked, stressed and leaving the profession. I know nurses working in the field. Covid has made things especially challenging, but savings/efficiencies/reallocations have compounded the damage.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/southern-health-region-cuts-covid-1.5813496

This is the effect, keep in mind these numbers are from periods outside peak Covid infections:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/emergency-nurses-health-sciences-centre-raise-alarm-long-wait-times-1.6158973

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/medical/more-than-25-of-patients-left-health-sciences-centre-s-er-without-being-seen-in-july-data/ar-AAPi8Nn

6 hours ago, Tracker said:

There were real, not imagined cuts to healthcare by the PCs. At Concordia, for example, They were ordered in 2018 to reduce knee and hip replacements by a third, lengthening wait times by over a year but producing very little savings. During Filmon's tenure  almost 1,000 nurses were laid off.

On Filmons tenure : The Federal government ( Liberal ) made massive cuts to transfer payments. They did that to reduce the Federal deficit that was out of control . The Fimon gov. was faced with restructuring Healthcare or doing what Saskatchewan did, close hospitals.So to move nurses around they were required to lay them off, legally.  So yes he laid off a thousand nurses and then offered them different positions.

26 minutes ago, the watcher said:

On Filmons tenure : The Federal government ( Liberal ) made massive cuts to transfer payments. They did that to reduce the Federal deficit that was out of control . The Fimon gov. was faced with restructuring Healthcare or doing what Saskatchewan did, close hospitals. So to move nurses around they were required to lay them off, legally.  So yes he laid off a thousand nurses and then offered them different positions.

There were no other positions comparable to the jobs that were lost. The only recourses were to work for lower wages in term positions with private firms with literally NO benefits or migrate to the US, which many (including my niece) did. 

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

There were no other positions comparable to the jobs that were lost. The only recourses were to work for lower wages in term positions with private firms with literally NO benefits or migrate to the US, which many (including my niece) did. 

I agree that happened to some but not 1000. Filmon's   choice was that or close hospitals. It always amazes me that the Federal Liberals never catch any of the anger over it. They had little choice either as our financial situation was dire due  to rampant spending by previous Federal governments. So they chopped transfer payments.

1 hour ago, the watcher said:

I agree that happened to some but not 1000. Filmon's   choice was that or close hospitals. It always amazes me that the Federal Liberals never catch any of the anger over it. They had little choice either as our financial situation was dire due  to rampant spending by previous Federal governments. So they chopped transfer payments.

That was a Liberal government with no real opposition - that probably helped deflect some of the anger. 

Except that Ralph was actually a Liberal, initially. But, yes, Jason Kenney's legislature has apparently been a giant frat house for a long time now. Stories have been filtering out slowly. On top of his excessive drinking, there's a lawsuit alleging Dreeshen had an inappropriate relationship with a staffer/aide in the Leg.....lots of stuff coming out now. This province desperately needs an election. 

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Except that Ralph was actually a Liberal, initially. But, yes, Jason Kenney's legislature has apparently been a giant frat house for a long time now. Stories have been filtering out slowly. On top of his excessive drinking, there's a lawsuit alleging Dreeshen had an inappropriate relationship with a staffer/aide in the Leg.....lots of stuff coming out now. This province desperately needs an election. 

Mark Twain said that governments and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.

Edited by Tracker

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/otoole-shadow-cabinet-shuffle-1.6242300

Conservative Leader Erin O'Toole is expected to announce his shadow cabinet today, the group of critics that will stare down Liberal ministers in the House of Commons in question period and press for answers on key files.

CBC News has learned from Conservative sources that Pierre Poilievre, the MP for Carleton, will be appointed the party's finance critic while Calgary's Michelle Rempel Garner has been shuffled out of the high-profile health portfolio and will now serve as the natural resources critic.