Canadian Politics

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/clerk-house-of-commons-allegations-partisanship-sleeping-on-job-1.6247062

The Conservatives are calling on the Liberals to release emails and text messages between the party and the Clerk of the House of Commons, Charles Robert, following allegations he crossed a line and broke the cardinal rule of his job by acting partisan.

Robert's job description is to advise the Speaker and all MPs on parliamentary procedure "regardless of party affiliation" and "with impartiality and discretion."

But CBC News reported last week that Robert is facing claims he made partisan comments and shared confidential information with the Liberals that could have given the party a strategic advantage over the opposition in the House.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/conservative-senator-oust-erin-otoole-1.6249440

Conservative Saskatchewan Sen. Denise Batters has launched a petition to oust Erin O'Toole as party leader — a high-profile effort by a caucus member who said she lost faith in O'Toole after the Conservative Party suffered "significant losses" in the last campaign.

In announcing her petition, Batters said that on O'Toole's watch, the party has flip-flopped on major issues such as carbon pricing, firearms and conscience rights and has lost once-Conservative seats in urban and suburban ridings in Alberta, B.C. and the Greater Toronto Area.

While O'Toole campaigned as a "true blue" Conservative in the party's leadership race, Batters said he subsequently ran a federal election campaign "nearly indistinguishable from Trudeau's Liberals."

"Mr. O'Toole flip-flopped on policies core to our party within the same week, the same day, and even within the same sentence. The members didn't have a say on that, but we must have one on his leadership," Batters said in a media statement.

"We can't afford to see our party ripped apart again. When we're divided, the Liberals win."

50 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Thought and prayers wont get you the sorely needed surgery so live with the pain while we decide what we are going to have for lunch, these people are incompetent and should not be in public office, play time is over do something or GTFO

Have  the provincial PCs got the Trump-GOP  playbook down pat or what?

It is a joke and a disgrace that our health minister is a member of one of the most flagrant offenders of Covid restrictions and even sued the government over restrictions. Not to mention that she's been caught multiple times violating the rules herself. I don't know how anyone would look at her as an example of leadership or credibility. Still haven't heard anything over her getting fined for her last transgression that she would "willingly accept and pay"

3 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

I see the PCs are now going to use OUR tax money to ***** and complain about THEIR election....oh good!! ANOTHER ******* LAWSUIT THAT DIDN'T NEED TO HAPPEN!!!

Will the costs of the court case come out of public funds? I read the story by Bartley Kives, but it didn't mention that taxpayers were on the bill for it. The reasons for the lawsuit are apparently solely for the benefit of the PC party, even according to the PC party...

"While the PC Party has confidence that no such grounds would exist, unfounded allegations and drawn-out proceeding would be detrimental for the PC Party to carry out its role and to the long-term reputation of the PC Party."

If we are truly on the hook for the bill, I can see why you resorted to jamming the caps lock key down. First public funds are used to challenge carbon tax, then marijuana legislation (both baseless and likely initiated just to show PC supporters they are fighting). I'd be interested to know for sure this is a publicly funded case. It seems all three cases are an attempt to bolster the party's reputation at a cost to taxpayers.

1 hour ago, the watcher said:

I don't see how public funds could be involved in this case. It's Glover herself challenging the PC party.  And Glover has some wealthy supporters backing her.

Edit I suspect

It's in the courts. They party could have handled it internally. Instead, their incompetence is being pushed through the courts. Someone always has to pay for conservative incompetence but it's usually with their lives. 

6 hours ago, JCon said:

It's in the courts. They party could have handled it internally. Instead, their incompetence is being pushed through the courts. Someone always has to pay for conservative incompetence but it's usually with their lives. 

Honestly would not surprise me if taxpayers paid the moving costs when Pally sold his house. I wonder if he actually did move to Costa Rica or just one of his other houses. Apparently downsized to a condo since they already have other residences. The education property tax cut probably made the mansion a lot more desirable on the market though...

Edited by WildPath

On 2021-11-19 at 10:32 AM, JCon said:

There is nothing they can do " internally " if she takes it to the courts. And that doesn't change the fact  that this wouldn't and probably isn't costing public money. 

Any other party ( and I am sure they are ) should be rubbing their hands with glee over this. When parties turn carnivorous the public generally reject them. There is no better example than the NDP  under Salinger. It allowed Pallister to walk in.  You could probably add the Federal Greens in the last election.

On 2021-11-19 at 5:06 PM, WildPath said:

Honestly would not surprise me if taxpayers paid the moving costs when Pally sold his house. I wonder if he actually did move to Costa Rica or just one of his other houses. Apparently downsized to a condo since they already have other residences. The education property tax cut probably made the mansion a lot more desirable on the market though...

You are making alot of stuff up there. And I'm no fan of Pallister.

2 minutes ago, the watcher said:

There is nothing they can do " internally " if she takes it to the courts. And that doesn't change the fact  that this wouldn't and probably isn't costing public money. 

Any other party ( and I am sure they are ) should be rubbing their hands with glee over this. When parties turn carnivorous the public generally reject them. There is no better example than the NDP  under Salinger. It allowed Pallister to walk in.  You could probably add the Federal Greens in the last election.

Who do you think pays for the courts?? 🤔

And, yes, they could have followed an internal process but decided to let the courts deal with it. 

Under Pallister, the PC's have used public funds/government staff for non-governmental purposes before so it would not be unheard of.

1 hour ago, the watcher said:

It came to light less than 6 months ago that this same party used government funds/staff for their own purposes.  Yes they eventually paid the money back, once it leaked to the media, but they still did it.  Why are you so sure they wouldn't try to have taxpayers foot the bill again?

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/Pallister-staff-hired-PI-to-find-dirt-on-Kinew-sources-574965801.html

9 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Under Pallister, the PC's have used public funds/government staff for non-governmental purposes before so it would not be unheard of.

It came to light less than 6 months ago that this same party used government funds/staff for their own purposes.  Yes they eventually paid the money back, once it leaked to the media, but they still did it.  Why are you so sure they wouldn't try to have taxpayers foot the bill again?

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/Pallister-staff-hired-PI-to-find-dirt-on-Kinew-sources-574965801.html

I'm not sure but I doubt it because it involves the courts.That makes it tough to hide. I'm not saying this because I think the PCs are moral saints

18 hours ago, the watcher said:

I'm not sure what I'm making up. As bigg jay stated, they have a history of using public funds for private interests. A huge percentage of property taxes comes from education taxes. Clearly it would make a mansion more appealing to know you will be saving thousands a year not paying property tax. I think it was reported that Pallister himself saved $4000 on property taxes by reducing the educational tax this year. He also benefited by getting 80%(and interest) amnesty on his Costa Rica mansion.

I don't think he cut the education tax to make his mansion more appealing to a buyer, but it certainly didn't hurt. I believe they cut and plan to eliminate education property taxes to help property owners. Unfortunately this agenda will help out those who need help the least. I'm saying that as someone who has already deposited two cheques for my property tax rebate.

On the same topic, they recently announced they will have a plan to replace the funding for education in two years. I don't know how a government can be seen as fiscally responsible when you get rid of one of your main sources of income and proudly announce a plan to have a plan two years from now to replace those funds.

2 hours ago, WildPath said:

I'm not sure what I'm making up. As bigg jay stated, they have a history of using public funds for private interests. A huge percentage of property taxes comes from education taxes. Clearly it would make a mansion more appealing to know you will be saving thousands a year not paying property tax. I think it was reported that Pallister himself saved $4000 on property taxes by reducing the educational tax this year. He also benefited by getting 80%(and interest) amnesty on his Costa Rica mansion.

I don't think he cut the education tax to make his mansion more appealing to a buyer, but it certainly didn't hurt. I believe they cut and plan to eliminate education property taxes to help property owners. Unfortunately this agenda will help out those who need help the least. I'm saying that as someone who has already deposited two cheques for my property tax rebate.

On the same topic, they recently announced they will have a plan to replace the funding for education in two years. I don't know how a government can be seen as fiscally responsible when you get rid of one of your main sources of income and proudly announce a plan to have a plan two years from now to replace those funds.

The PC playbook calls for the cutting of taxes so as to run a deficit. The next step is to reduce government services because they cannot be afforded any longer while preaching the gospel that private enterprises can do it better, cheaper and faster. Smaller government agencies can be privatized first to provide temporary  funding for necessary services, as MTS was, then the rest can be whittled away. It is much easier to tear down than build.

1 hour ago, bustamente said:

Just another entitled politician 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/janice-morley-lecomte-manitoba-mla-restaurant-vaccine-card-1.6257442

She's since said that it was an error and that she's used whatever paper she's been using multiple times at other restaurants to prove her vaccination status.

She said she is fully vaccinated and has since downloaded the proper app...

Something smells fishy here. MLA doesn't know about the standard procedure for checking vaccination status introduced by her own government? And she's used incorrect verification multiple times before? I believe it was simple an error like I believe Audrey Gordon had no knowledge of the Springs grad or indoor mask requirements as the health minister.

Morley Lecomte was previously in the news for refusing to disclose her vaccine status as well.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/special/coronavirus/silence-on-vaccine-status-not-an-option-for-public-servants-574907732.html#long-story

On 2021-11-19 at 9:27 AM, the watcher said:

I don't see how public funds could be involved in this case. It's Glover herself challenging the PC party.  And Glover has some wealthy supporters backing her.

Edit I suspect

at the very least it's taking up time in the court that could be used for something that's actually important.

20 hours ago, WildPath said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/janice-morley-lecomte-manitoba-mla-restaurant-vaccine-card-1.6257442

She's since said that it was an error and that she's used whatever paper she's been using multiple times at other restaurants to prove her vaccination status.

She said she is fully vaccinated and has since downloaded the proper app...

Something smells fishy here. MLA doesn't know about the standard procedure for checking vaccination status introduced by her own government? And she's used incorrect verification multiple times before? I believe it was simple an error like I believe Audrey Gordon had no knowledge of the Springs grad or indoor mask requirements as the health minister.

Morley Lecomte was previously in the news for refusing to disclose her vaccine status as well.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/special/coronavirus/silence-on-vaccine-status-not-an-option-for-public-servants-574907732.html#long-story

Maybe she printed out her vac paper after only one shot thus no QR code?