Canadian Politics

2 hours ago, Wideleft said:

Also consider that Angus Reid polls are generally favorable to the Conservatives.

Also consider that Angus Reid's reputation has taken quite a hit over the past several years. It's not on the dubious level of PROBE polls but their methodology has come under fire in recent years.

Edited by GCn20

On 2022-12-15 at 4:15 PM, Mark H. said:

Interlake - Gimli is the same riding now.  The old Gimli riding had a long history of swinging back and forth, it was not just Bjornson's popularity. We will see what happens 

Might have had a chance in the old Gimli riding but Gimli-Interlake would take a miracle for the NDP to win. Harry Enns old riding, and it doesn't get any more entrenched PC than that, along with Ashern, Eriksdale, Arborg, and Interlake Menno country. If every single voter in Gimli voted NDP it might be less of a blow out, but that ain't going to happen as the town of Gimli historically has been pretty 50/50. The old Gimli riding had a large stretch of NDP country that has now been absorbed into Selkirk. The old Interlake riding was NDP dominated when the reserves were part of the riding. Neither is the case anymore. Interlake farm country and the Lake Manitoba communities are PC....strong PC....and that is the majority of that constituency now. Tom Nevakshonoff is one of my best friends, he told me that when the new election maps came out he knew retaining his seat was next to impossible.

6 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Tom Nevakshonoff is one of my best friends, he told me that when the new election maps came out he knew retaining his seat was next to impossible.

Well then maybe he should have been more than a do nothing MLA... 

Seriously I've heard from people in the area that during an event he was present for that he was asked if he wanted to say anything (can't remember what specifically it was) and his response was  "nah, not an election year"

but yes if they dropped the reserves and the areas around Teulon then you do get the ignorant folk all voting blue just because. 

20 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Well then maybe he should have been more than a do nothing MLA... 

Seriously I've heard from people in the area that during an event he was present for that he was asked if he wanted to say anything (can't remember what specifically it was) and his response was  "nah, not an election year"

but yes if they dropped the reserves and the areas around Teulon then you do get the ignorant folk all voting blue just because. 

Tom is an extremely intelligent and well spoken guy. He was also Minister of Conservation for a while. Yes, he was a do nothing MLA, but mostly because he was part of a do nothing government. At least in the rural...and that is why the rural is blue as blue can get. 

5 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

hhhmmm what are the odds the Prov gives these funds away to the private sector instead of investing in Health care/infrastructure etc etc.

I'd say about the same as the federal Liberals doing the same. Unfortunately, those odds aren't very good for those hoping for investment in public services of any sort. 

16 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Memo to Conservative politicans, treaties matter.

Memo to ALL politicians...treaties matter. Not a single government has done a damn thing for me, or my people. Some just talk better than others before delivering nothing. However, these Alberta/Sask first ideas are pretty dumb. I get why they are frustrated because the Liberals have destroyed their economies, but they really need to come up with something better than that.

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

I'd say about the same as the federal Liberals doing the same. 

...the Liberals have destroyed their economies...

Why the deflection?

And that second line is quite the pile of horse turds. How has a federal party destroyed two provincial economies?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-health-care-funding-provinces-1.6691733

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says simply giving in to the provinces' demands on health-care funding won't guarantee improvements to Canada's strained health system.

Ottawa and the provinces agree that the country's health system is facing a crisis. But when health ministers met in Vancouver last month to hammer out a deal to improve health care, a disagreement over funding prevented any progress.

The provinces have been calling on the federal government to boost its share of health-care funding. But Ottawa insists it won't offer up any cash until the provinces agree to meet certain conditions — such as increasing access to family health services.

"If I were to send people all the money they need in the provinces, there is no guarantee that … folks would be waiting less time in the hospitals," Trudeau said. "There is no point putting more money into a broken system."

The full interview will air on CBC television on Sunday at 11:30 a.m.

Edited by blue_gold_84
merged posts

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Why the deflection?

And that second line is quite the pile of horse turds. How has a federal party destroyed two provincial economies?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-health-care-funding-provinces-1.6691733

You want to talk about deflection and turds? Your inserted quote from Trudeau is about the biggest deflection and turd I have ever read. Provinces control health care in their Provinces. It is NOT federal jurisdiction, nor should it be and it most definitely is not the Fed governments job to withhold health care funding any time for any reason. Just another reason why Trudeau needs to go. The man is the worst prime minister of all time.

I don't know why you would think Trudeau grossly overstepping his mandate would be something to crow about.

Edited by GCn20

Just now, GCn20 said:

You want to talk about deflection and turds? Your inserted quote from Trudeau is about the biggest deflection and turd I have ever read. Provinces control health care in their Provinces. It is NOT federal jurisdiction, nor should it be and it most definitely is not the Fed governments job to withhold health care funding any time for any reason. Just another reason why Trudeau needs to go. The man is the worst prime minister of all time.

I was sharing an article and the posts merged. Calm down.

"Nice job substantiating your claims, by the way," said nobody ever.

7 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I don't know why you would think Trudeau grossly overstepping his mandate would be something to crow about.

Why should I as a Manitoban who pays a provincial sales tax be happy for Alberta to get additional no-strings attached health care funding when they refuse to raise their own funds through taxation? 

Why should I be happy for Ontario to get no-strings attached health care funding when Ford disappeared $4.5 billion in COVID funding?

Why shouldn't we all expect our provinces to be more accountable with their healthcare dollars?  Who else is going to hold them accountable?

While health care is a provincial responsibility, since the federal government has more ability to raise revenue and to ensure relatively equal levels of care across Canada, the federal government has always played a role in healthcare ever since it was introduced in the 1960s.

As for withholding funds, Trudeau wanting to put strings before committing $ is reasonable since provincial governments have not used healthcare money for healthcare and are crying poor (see Ontario and Alberta as examples). Heck, they were doing the same thing with Covid funds (see Manitoba getting 85 million for education during covid and spending 10 million on a remote learning center and not accounting for the other 75 million).

18 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

While health care is a provincial responsibility, since the federal government has more ability to raise revenue and to ensure relatively equal levels of care across Canada, the federal government has always played a role in healthcare ever since it was introduced in the 1960s.

As for withholding funds, Trudeau wanting to put strings before committing $ is reasonable since provincial governments have not used healthcare money for healthcare and are crying poor (see Ontario and Alberta as examples). Heck, they were doing the same thing with Covid funds (see Manitoba getting 85 million for education during covid and spending 10 million on a remote learning center and not accounting for the other 75 million).

Provs can put in their own taxes for health care. Nothing is stopping them. 

Since Provs keep lapsing healthcare funds, maybe they should explain why first? (We know why... privatization - under fund, then say you can't keep up, sell it off. That's the right wing mentality.) 

Just now, JCon said:

Since Provs keep lapsing healthcare funds, maybe they should explain why first? (We know why... privatization - under fund, then say you can't keep up, sell it off. That's the right wing mentality.) 

The ironic thing is Manitoba's Health Transformation initiative was meant to find efficiencies across the province by using the same technologies and processes because it should be easier to support and staff.  It would also therefore be easier to plan and budget for on an ongoing basis.  In theory, it makes a lot of sense if implemented properly and not in haste. 

Trudeau isn't really saying anything much different and yet Manitoba is pissing and moaning.

42 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I was sharing an article and the posts merged. Calm down.

"Nice job substantiating your claims, by the way," said nobody ever.

If I had a nickel for every time I swore at one of my unintentional merged posts, I'd have many nickels.

3 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

The ironic thing is Manitoba's Health Transformation initiative was meant to find efficiencies across the province by using the same technologies and processes because it should be easier to support and staff.  It would also therefore be easier to plan and budget for on an ongoing basis.  In theory, it makes a lot of sense if implemented properly and not in haste. 

Trudeau isn't really saying anything much different and yet Manitoba is pissing and moaning.

If I had a nickel for every time I swore at one of my unintentional merged posts, I'd have many nickels.

Cons don't build, they starve and crush. They have no ideas. 

-----

I try to add a few spaces and enter ----- to separate them. 

1 hour ago, Wideleft said:

Why should I as a Manitoban who pays a provincial sales tax be happy for Alberta to get additional no-strings attached health care funding when they refuse to raise their own funds through taxation? 

Why should I be happy for Ontario to get no-strings attached health care funding when Ford disappeared $4.5 billion in COVID funding?

Why shouldn't we all expect our provinces to be more accountable with their healthcare dollars?  Who else is going to hold them accountable?

Albert's has a surplus! Why do we need to go hat in hand to the feds for health care money when we should have some of our own? 

This is exactly why Trudeau won't write a cheque without some assurance it will be pissed away. And I for one agree with him. Provinces want the feds to bail them out of their messes the feds should have some say I  where that money goes. Only fair if these self-serving premiers are going to use the federal government as the punching bag for the problems.

3 hours ago, GCn20 said:

This does not compute. Chretien / Martin and Harper all cut social transfers. Trudeau was the PM who increased them again. 

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/P-25.2/page-1.html

Prohibition on the Purchase of Residential Property by Non-Canadians Act

S.C. 2022, c. 10, s. 235

Assented to 2022-06-23

An Act to prohibit the purchase of residential property by non-Canadians

[Enacted by section 235 of chapter 10 of the Statutes of Canada, 2022, in force January 1, 2023.]

2 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I'm not sure how much of a good idea this is. Obviously there has been a problem with non residents buying houses and having an impact on the market. But what about people that are legitimately trying to move to Canada? I guess it's only 2 years...?

4 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I'm not sure how much of a good idea this is. Obviously there has been a problem with non residents buying houses and having an impact on the market. But what about people that are legitimately trying to move to Canada? I guess it's only 2 years...?

Yeah, I'm not really sure what effect this will have but I guess time will tell. I suppose it's better than nothing, so I'll reserve judgment for the time being.

6 hours ago, JCon said:

Our province has got rid of significant revenues (Education Property Tax) with no plan for funding education in a bid to buy votes with public funds then misused Federal funds they have been given. Next they spend public funds for advertising to blame the feds for a healthcare crisis. I honestly don't know how more people don't see through the B.S.

They've given up significant funds, mainly given by the most wealthy in the province, and now need to use other funds to fund one of their biggest expenditures (Education). I still can't see how they can campaign as fiscally responsible.

15 minutes ago, WildPath said:

Our province has got rid of significant revenues (Education Property Tax) with no plan for funding education in a bid to buy votes with public funds then misused Federal funds they have been given. Next they spend public funds for advertising to blame the feds for a healthcare crisis. I honestly don't know how more people don't see through the B.S.

They've given up significant funds, mainly given by the most wealthy in the province, and now need to use other funds to fund one of their biggest expenditures (Education). I still can't see how they can campaign as fiscally responsible.

The Cons are betting that people will have short memories and are willing to swallow more of the same crap they have been fed for the past few years.