Bo Levi Mitchell & the NFL

BigBlue

He'll be 29 when his contract is up. Dave Dickenson was roughly the same age when he went down but there's a lot of great young guns coming out of the NCAA so it's tough for a "rookie" at that age to make it. For 2 seasons, Dickenson bounced around before deciding to come back as he could see the writing on the wall.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

I don't anticipate him making an NFL attempt, if he had those aspirations he wouldn't have signed his most recent deal.

as for the records, he's certainly in the right situation to make it happen. The only issue is staying healthy and playing for 10+ additional seasons while not dropping off and also having the occasional "wow" season.

If I recall correctly from an article I read, BLM was not getting much interest from the NFL when he was in College due to his height, only 6'-2".  His agent, who also represents Nichols convinced him the best route to playing football soon was to go directly to the CFL and forego the NFL tryout circuit, which he did.  That's why he's starter at 25, unlike most QB's that come up to the CFL after exhausting opportunities in the NFL for 2-3 years.

speaking of BLM, in keeping with his somewhat-earned douchebag reputation, yesterday he was caught on camera a couple of times berating TSN camera people who were around trying to get footage. He was yelling at them for being in his way, and things of that nature. Some TV people were on Twitter calling him out for it late last night...

It's interesting because some players might be forgiven for their misgivings in the heat of a game, but Mitchell definitely has a bad reputation around the league, so maybe he's not given as much slack as others...

26 minutes ago, Noeller said:

speaking of BLM, in keeping with his somewhat-earned douchebag reputation, yesterday he was caught on camera a couple of times berating TSN camera people who were around trying to get footage. He was yelling at them for being in his way, and things of that nature. Some TV people were on Twitter calling him out for it late last night...

It's interesting because some players might be forgiven for their misgivings in the heat of a game, but Mitchell definitely has a bad reputation around the league, so maybe he's not given as much slack as others...

Didn't seem like he yelled at them, simply told a camera man to "get out of my way", this was a few seconds before taking the field when he was trying to find space to throw a few quick warmup passes.  With the huge zoom lenses they have on these cameras no reason to get up in the players faces or interfere with their movement at all. 

4 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Didn't seem like he yelled at them, simply told a camera man to "get out of my way", this was a few seconds before taking the field when he was trying to find space to throw a few quick warmup passes.  With the huge zoom lenses they have on these cameras no reason to get up in the players faces or interfere with their movement at all. 

Absolutely, but to Noeller's point, he's not getting much slack because of a growing 'reputation'. 

I did see at least one Calgary media member stick up for him though, saying there wasn't anyone better to work with.

2 hours ago, tracker said:

If BLM does go south to explore NFL opportunities, perhaps we could fit him with a tracking collar or such to watch him in case he becomes available.

Good point. How DO we get our own BLM? Walters? McManus?

33 minutes ago, J5V said:

Good point. How DO we get our own BLM? Walters? McManus?

Pretty much the same way the Stamps found him, keep an eye on smaller schools that don't go all in on the pre-programmed NFL model QB that give smaller QB's the chance to play and develop.  The CFL has a long history of finding a place for this type of QB from Lancaster on up, while the preprogrammed NFL style QB's like Willy and Brohm can't adapt and flunk out.

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Pretty much the same way the Stamps found him, keep an eye on smaller schools that don't go all in on the pre-programmed NFL model QB that give smaller QB's the chance to play and develop.  The CFL has a long history of finding a place for this type of QB from Lancaster on up, while the preprogrammed NFL style QB's like Willy and Brohm can't adapt and flunk out.

For his era, lancaster was as much an nfl style qb as existed. Dont forget that era the nfl wasnt nearly as rigid as its perceived currently for passers. 

Brian brohm ran a spread offense in the ncaa. Not a pro type offense. BLM is 6'2 brohm was 6'3. Drew willy also wasnt an nfl prototype for qb. Good size and tenure but QBs who struggle to throw to an area of the field (deep in his case) are low ceiling dime a dozen. Buffalo isnt exactly an nfl puppy mill either.

Not so many schools run the old I form/pro form 2 wr set constantly any more. The NFL has made a lot more use out of 3 wr packages on the whole with some even running a spread offense. The line between an NFL, CFL, and NCAA "Style" qb is very blurred now. The NFL has more running qbs then the cfl. Which starter in the cfl is a threat to rush for 800+ yards any more?

It makes it even harder now then it used to be to find qb talent young. Guys will get a year on the PR to see how they learn and adapt that never would have gotten a sniff of the NFL in the past. 

So small schools do yield some benefit. Those guys tend to get over looked more. And having a small school QB who crushed his competition level is better imop then having a big school guy who was mediocre.

A guy like gage gubrud (eastern washington) with his performance in his first year starting will probably still get a decent NFL look. The key to finding qbs imop is to prioritize skill set and to aim back at guys who are running out of NFL time. Dont fall soo much in love with the amazing athlete who cant toss it down field, find the guy who doesnt have the NFL bulk weight, has a good arm but not a crazy arm but the accuracy and touch to complete a pass to any part of the field. Despite the long time prototype of the NFL looking for rocket laser arms playing a pro offense and facing top competition, today the NFL looks for guys who put in a lot of starts in college, has great accuracy, and adequate arm strength. The physical attributes that make it hard to get picked up these days physically are under 6' and 200 lbs or under. But you dont see those guys with the regularity you used to even in the ncaa.  

8 hours ago, Noeller said:

I fully expect Calgary to win the Grey Cup this year, but man I hope they fall flat on their faces because of this guy.

18 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I caught that one and later he said "can't you find someone else to film?"  Burris has said worse.  I've no use for either one. Over all I'm pretty tired of the amount of sideline antics and mugging they show every game.

11 hours ago, wbbfan said:

yeah for such a regular season juggernaut they are pretty reliable play off chokers. Idk who i want to win less between the RBs and the stamps. 

Between my hate for Burris and my hate for all things Calgary sports, I'm in a no win situation. Blech. 

12 hours ago, wbbfan said:

yeah for such a regular season juggernaut they are pretty reliable play off chokers. Idk who i want to win less between the RBs and the stamps. 

Normally I'd agree with you... but a 32-0 halftime lead after a 3 week lay-off suggests otherwise... 

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Look at the number of cups they've got to show from the last 20 years and how many times they've been in playoffs....

Yes and that's why I said I would normally agree with you... but you can't ignore they looked borderline unstoppable when they should have been vulnerable last Sunday...

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Look at the number of cups they've got to show from the last 20 years and how many times they've been in playoffs....

I would take that 20 year record and the choker label every day of the week over what we have done.  Even the years they don't win, they at least have a realistic expectation of being in the hunt for the cup... we can't say the same.

21 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

I would take that 20 year record and the choker label every day of the week over what we have done.  Even the years they don't win, they at least have a realistic expectation of being in the hunt for the cup... we can't say the same.

and that's fine, but the point was someone said they weren't deserving of the choker label.....they definitely are.

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

In the end it's all about entertainment value and the Stamps provide that consistently year after year.