US Politics

Rich

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/11/22/in-first-us-added-to-annual-list-of-backsliding-democracies

The United States has been added to an annual list of “backsliding” democracies for the first time, the International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance NGO has said, pointing to a “visible deterioration” that began in 2019.

The Stockholm-based organisation makes its annual assessment using 50 years of democratic indicators. It places about 160 countries into three categories: democracies, including “backsliding” democracies; “hybrid” governments; and authoritarian regimes.

Globally, the report said more than one in four people live in a “backsliding” democracy, while two-thirds of the world live in either a “backsliding” democracy, “hybrid” or authoritarian regimes.

“This year we coded the United States as backsliding for the first time, but our data suggest that the backsliding episode began at least in 2019,” said the report, titled: Global State of Democracy 2021.

“A historic turning point came in 2020-21 when former president Donald Trump questioned the legitimacy of the 2020 election results in the United States,” the report said, referring to a campaign by the former president and his allies to overturn the 2020 US election results, which culminated in Trump’s supporters storming the seat of the US legislature on January 6.

The report also cited growing polarisation in the US, as well as state voting laws “disproportionately affecting minorities in a negative way”.

IDEA Secretary-General Kevin Casas-Zamora called the “visible deterioration of democracy” in the US “one of the most concerning developments” in the 2021 report, according to the AFP news agency.

He warned of a knock-on effect, noting: “The violent contestation of the 2020 election without any evidence of fraud has been replicated, in different ways, in places as diverse as Myanmar, Peru and Israel.”

A sobering reminder of the fragility of democracy and how utterly volatile misinformation can be to its very foundations.

Prominent white supremacists Richard Spencer, Jason Kessler and Christopher Cantwell and others engaged in a conspiracy to intimidate, harass or harm in advance of the deadly Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville in 2017, a jury has ruled.

The jury did not reach a verdict on two federal conspiracy charges, but did find that every defendant was liable for civil conspiracy under Virginia law.

The jury then awarded $500,000 in punitive damages against all 12 individual defendants, and $1 million against five white nationalist organizations on that conspiracy count. Other damages followed on further counts.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2021/11/23/charlottesville-verdict-live-updates/

1 hour ago, Wideleft said:

Prominent white supremacists Richard Spencer, Jason Kessler and Christopher Cantwell and others engaged in a conspiracy to intimidate, harass or harm in advance of the deadly Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville in 2017, a jury has ruled.

The jury did not reach a verdict on two federal conspiracy charges, but did find that every defendant was liable for civil conspiracy under Virginia law.

The jury then awarded $500,000 in punitive damages against all 12 individual defendants, and $1 million against five white nationalist organizations on that conspiracy count. Other damages followed on further counts.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2021/11/23/charlottesville-verdict-live-updates/

Unfortunately their grifting efforts may cover that and more. It would be awesome if the courts could somehow make it more difficult for them to run these grifting platforms.

10 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Unfortunately their grifting efforts may cover that and more. It would be awesome if the courts could somehow make it more difficult for them to run these grifting platforms.

Yes, but I doubt anyone is in a rush to organize another Unite the Right rally anytime soon given this ruling.

48 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Well that didn't take long, enjoy the 15 minutes kid

This kid said he wanted to live a quiet life.  Not exactly the way to do it.

I shudder to think if that Georgia jury acquits the defendants in the Ahmaud Arbery case, there will be guaranteed violent protests.  It will also be further proof that America does not have a justice system for people of colour.  They have to convict at least 2 of the defendants (father & son) and maybe a lesser charge for the 3rd neighbour who filmed the incident.

12 hours ago, wpgallday1960 said:

This kid said he wanted to live a quiet life.  Not exactly the way to do it.

I guess the interview on national TV with Tucker Carlson wasn’t quiet enough. And he wants to sue Biden for defamation for labelling him a white supremacist. Funny how he isn’t one himself yet he is in a bunch of pictures standing next them. At some point you are the company you keep. 

Two types of extremely dumb buffoons that frustrate the hell out of me:

One: Being consistently racist in your behaviour, showing patterns of inappropriate behaviour and really truly thinking these same racist inappropriate behaviours of yours proves other people are actually the racists and not you. Most notable example that comes to mind: Lauren Boebert and Donald Trump Jr.

Two: Hiding who you really are by passively aggressively and completely incorrectly using lets all unite, they're no racism here, just move on, stop your hate, love each other to respond to people who have experienced and/or see everyday systemic racism. Most notable examples that immediately comes to mind: Tulsi Gabbard.

I don’t know if it’s irony or not but maybe the saving grace of getting out of this nightmare of the world run and influenced by delusional dumb buffoons is they start eating their own and eventually kill themselves off where the remaining survivors go crawl back under their rocks where they came from.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/nov/29/michael-flynn-trump-ally-qanon-cia-left

Michael Flynn, Donald Trump’s first national security adviser, appears to have called QAnon “total nonsense” and a “disinformation campaign” created by the CIA and the political left – despite his own extensive links to the conspiracy theory and seeming eagerness to serve as its hero.

Flynn’s apparent statement was revealed by Lin Wood, a pro-Trump attorney and QAnon supporter once allied with the disgraced former general.

QAnon followers believe in the existence of a secret cabal of pederastic cannibal Satanists, dominated by Democrats, against whom Trump is fighting. Followers also believe John F Kennedy Jr is not dead and will soon return to lead them. Many recently congregated in Dallas, waiting for that to happen. The FBI considers QAnon a potential source of extremist violence.

Late on Saturday, Wood released a recording of what appeared to be a call between him and Flynn on Telegram, a social media and messaging app favored by far-right extremists. During the conversation, a voice that appears to be Wood is heard to complain that QAnon followers are coming after him online.

In answer, the Daily Beast reported, a voice that appears to be Flynn says: “I think it’s a disinformation campaign. I think it’s a disinformation campaign that the CIA created. That’s what I believe. Now, I don’t know that for a fact, but that’s what I think it is. I think it’s a disinformation campaign.’”

“I find it total nonsense,” the voice adds. “And I think it’s a disinformation campaign created by the left.”

Full circle stupidity. But ya love to see it.

1 hour ago, bustamente said:

Ronny Jackson now a Congressman says the the new variant Omicron is a hoax remember that this guy said Trump was in great shape and could live to 200 how is he even a doctor

Some doctors in the US have lost their licences to practice for spreading this kind of nonsense. You may recall that this idiot was reported as both abusing alcohol and offering psychotropic drugs to anyone who wanted them while Trump's doctor.