US Politics

Rich

17 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

I mean, the original concept of it was somewhat rational. It was originally for cases of homeowners defending themselves in their home. The typical logic would be if someone broke into your residence, because it is your home, you'd be justified in using otherwise unreasonable force, since you felt more threatened because it's essentially 'your castle' and you're defending your turf.

However, the "stand your ground" takes it a step further, and removes the limitation on your residence. So that, for example, if you felt threatened in public, you can not only apply this rule as a defense, you can even actively pursue the threat until you feel it is extinguished, even if it means pursuing the supposed threat. Personally, I think it's absolutely absurd - the concept is very broad in interpretation - and whether someone (or something) is a threat is a very difficult thing to prove (or disprove) in court.

In the US it seems all to easy - if you are black you are a threat and if you are white you are not. This may seem comically simplistic and patently absurd as a statement, but since the advent of phone cameras and police body cams it has proven to be shockingly accurate. 

Many young men spend the rest of their days in jail or are sent to death row because they brought a gun to a robbery  " just as a threat " and things went bad. They plead that they really didn't intend to use it. The prosecution will counter with " if you bring a gun, you intend to use it ". The differences here are simple. This kid is white. The people shot might have been the "dreaded " Antifa. Therefore everything is different.

Americans have conjured up this idea of what the American West was like in the 1800s.  They believe all the old movies despite the fact that it's totally Hollywood. It's a bizarre mentality that would let you think you should go to a riot with weapons. That you have a right to" stand your ground " That walking around in public with weapons is going to end well.That all of that would be a good thing. The fact that he will in all likelyhood get off is just another statement on the collapse of that nation.

Edited by the watcher

13 minutes ago, the watcher said:

Many young men spend the rest of their days in jail or are sent to death row because they brought a gun to a robbery  " just as a threat " and things went bad. They plead that they really didn't intend to use it. The prosecution will counter with " if you bring a gun, you intend to use it ". The differences here are simple. This kid is white. The people shot are black. They might have been the "dreaded " Antifa. Therefore everything is different.

Americans have conjured up this idea of what the American West was like in the 1800s.  They believe all the old movies despite the fact that it's totally Hollywood. It's a bizarre mentality that would let you think you should go to a riot with weapons. That you have a right to" stand your ground " That walking around in public with weapons is going to end well.That all of that would be a good thing. The fact that he will in all likelyhood get off is just another statement on the collapse of that nation.

The victims of this murder were white. 

2 hours ago, bustamente said:

Bannon indicted by a Grand Jury on 2 counts, Meadows doesn't show up to the 1/6 committee today should get the same treatment soon, yes Trump and his cronies are trying to slow walk the investigation but today might show them that the DOJ just might of woken up.

We should brace ourselves': Experts warn Bannon's indictment will inflame Trump's dejected base

Trump adviser Steve Bannon's indictment on Friday was necessary to preserve the rule of law, according to former FBI special agent Clint Watts.

However, the downside is that Bannon will undoubtedly use the indictment to fire up former president Donald Trump's supporters, according to Watts, an MSNBC national security analyst.

"It had to be pushed to this level, and I'm thankful that it (was)," Watts told the network's Deadline: White House program on Friday afternoon. "What I would say, though, is while it seems dumb legally, in terms of politics, for Steve Bannon's orbit and the information environment, this is what they were hoping for in some ways, which is now they have a new war they can fight. It's always looking to poke a fight or provoke a fight and develop a new war in the social media space and the information space to rally a base that does not have much to cheer about."

Watts noted with former president Donald Trump banned from major social media platforms, the conversation around the country is "just not what it was one or two years ago."

"I don't care what you think the electoral outcome was, the enthusiasm has been dying," Watts said. "So this gives them one more thing, and this is Steve Bannon's war, and he's always said 'the war on the administrative state,' and he's trying to provoke that war, and I'm sure we're going to see a continuation of this, and it won't go quietly."

Princeton University professor Eddie Glaude, an MSNBC contributor, agreed that Bannon will be "imagined as a political martyr and that will then inflame these folks."

'We should brace ourselves': Experts warn Bannon's indictment will inflame Trump's dejected base - Alternet.org

The US has become a nation of conspiracy and that will pretty well end democracy as they know it, Republicans and the GOP are in large numbers convinced that Trump will be reinstated as President in the very near future, they let people in power who were involved on 1/6 continue to spout there unsubstantiated lies without any accountability and subpoena's are used as toilet paper by everyone involved. 

History and tradition is when you lose you congratulate the winner by conceding not yelling that the election was stolen, on your last day you welcome the incoming President to the WH not fleeing in the early morning and you definitely don't hold a rally when the transition of power is held and then tell all the idiots to go to the Capitol and let all hell loose. Trump and his enablers should be happy that hey are not in jail, yet.

1 hour ago, bustamente said:

History and tradition is when you lose you congratulate the winner by conceding not yelling that the election was stolen, on your last day you welcome the incoming President to the WH not fleeing in the early morning and you definitely don't hold a rally when the transition of power is held and then tell all the idiots to go to the Capitol and let all hell loose. Trump and his enablers should be happy that hey are not in jail, yet.

The Washington Post is still owned by "Reverend" Moon, I believe who is a an advocate of Reagan, the Bushes and Trump. If you start giving criminal immunity to government officials, where does it end? This sounds close to the "I was only following orders" plea of the Nazis who were sent to the gallows. It didn't save them and under law, if you counsel someone to break the law, you are also guilty.

2 hours ago, bustamente said:

Lol what a load of bullshit! Let every president and their aides be subjected to this. They want to act like criminals let em face justice. 

Michael Flynn Demands 'One Religion Under God' At Far-Right Rally

11/14/2021 12:04am EST | Updated 11 hours ago
In his latest journey to the edge of extreme, Donald Trump’s former national security adviser and felon Michael Flynn called for a single religion in America.

“If we are going to have one nation under God — which we must — we have to have one religion,” Flynn said in San Antonio at a stop for the far-right “ReAwaken America” tour. “One nation under God, and one religion under God.”

Such a vision is completely contrary to the Constitution’s guarantee of freedom of religion, and the separation of church and state.

Michael Flynn Demands 'One Religion Under God' At Far-Right Rally | HuffPost Latest News

45 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Everyday more and more information comes out that Emperor Trump and all of his enablers who craved power were actively trying to overturn the election and that essentially is a coup and that is treason.

And they really have not stopped while preparing for the mid=terms and the next presidential elections.

1 hour ago, bustamente said:

Everyday more and more information comes out that Emperor Trump and all of his enablers who craved power were actively trying to overturn the election and that essentially is a coup and that is treason.

The only hope (albeit a slim one) for American democracy is for some really stiff sentences to be doled out to the conspirators. The problem with even that is that the next GOP president is likely to pardon them all. Offences such as treason should not be commutable as they strike at the heart of democratic government. No wonder more and more Americans have become cynical about their system of government.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

The only hope (albeit a slim one) for American democracy is for some really stiff sentences to be doled out to the conspirators. The problem with even that is that the next GOP president is likely to pardon them all. Offences such as treason should not be commutable as they strike at the heart of democratic government. No wonder more and more Americans have become cynical about their system of government.

I honestly don't think that works. They've already painted themselves as martyrs. The far right would rally around the persecution of their anointed leaders. I think that's the big reason why no one is being held accountable - the repercussions from the uneducated blind followers.

As I've said before- I don't know how the US recovers without the whole thing blowing up into civil war or slipping into a form of dictatorship. True democracy is dead there.

42 minutes ago, itchy said:

I honestly don't think that works. They've already painted themselves as martyrs. The far right would rally around the persecution of their anointed leaders. I think that's the big reason why no one is being held accountable - the repercussions from the uneducated blind followers.

As I've said before- I don't know how the US recovers without the whole thing blowing up into civil war or slipping into a form of dictatorship. True democracy is dead there.

They are on the same path as Russia if you ask me where the oligarchs will run the show with a dictator to get them what they want. 

Any Republican who takes credit for the infrastructure big that didn't vote for it and the Democrats need to grow a spine and take out ads publishing the names of those that didn't so the public knows who is just supporting Cheeto Mussilini and his cry baby ways because he couldn't get the job done

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/15/trump-ally-steve-bannon-surrenders-on-charges-stemming-from-jan-6.html

Former Trump advisor Steve Bannon was released without bail Monday after surrendering to federal authorities in Washington, D.C., where he faces criminal charges after defying a subpoena from the lawmakers investigating the deadly Capitol invasion.

Bannon, 67, was charged with two counts of contempt of Congress following his refusal to comply with demands to produce documents and sit for a deposition as part of that investigation.

Each count of contempt of Congress is a misdemeanor punishable by up to one year in jail and a maximum fine of $100,000.

Bannon will be subject to general supervision requirements as part of the conditions of his release, Magistrate Judge Robin Meriweather said during Bannon’s brief initial appearance. He will have to regularly report to pretrial services and alert them to any plans to travel outside Washington.

Bannon has also surrendered his passport and agreed not to obtain any other international travel documents.

Are the chickenshits coming home to roost...?

On 2021-11-14 at 1:13 PM, Tracker said:

The Washington Post is still owned by "Reverend" Moon, I believe who is a an advocate of Reagan, the Bushes and Trump. If you start giving criminal immunity to government officials, where does it end? This sounds close to the "I was only following orders" plea of the Nazis who were sent to the gallows. It didn't save them and under law, if you counsel someone to break the law, you are also guilty.

I thought the Washington Post was owned by Jeff Bezos.  Just checked, he does.