US Politics

Rich

19 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

I said it earlier that Trump will never see the inside of a jail cell. That's just not how American justice works.

True. The US justice system is and always has been all about money. If you dont have it off to jail you go. If you do , your sins are forgiven. It's rather ironic that the country that jails more people than any other has a whole segment of their population that are immune.to punishment.

Edit: I just watched " Just Mercy "  and a couple of  Chris Hedges talks on their prison system so I readily admit to having a pretty biased opinion right now.

Edited by the watcher

Jimmy Carter Issues Warning About American Democracy In Chilling Op-Ed

Former President Jimmy Carter warned the United States is at “genuine risk of civil conflict” as he spelled out his fears for the future of democracy in America in an op-ed for The New York Times.

“Our great nation now teeters on the brink of a widening abyss,” Carter, 97, wrote in the essay published Wednesday on the eve of the first anniversary of the U.S. Capitol riot.  "Without immediate action, we are at genuine risk of civil conflict and losing our precious democracy, Americans  must set aside differences and work together before it is too late.”

The 39th president recalled initially hoping the Donald Trump-incited Jan. 6 insurrection “would shock the nation into addressing the toxic polarization that threatens our democracy.”

“However, one year on, promoters of the lie that the election was stolen have taken over one political party and stoked distrust in our electoral systems,” he lamented.

What “we have fought so hard to achieve globally — the right to free, fair elections, unhindered by strongman politicians who seek nothing more than to grow their own power — has become dangerously fragile at home,” Carter added.

Jimmy Carter Issues Warning About American Democracy In Chilling Op-Ed | HuffPost Latest News

3 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

This is magnificent. LOL

I would imagine these are going to last only a matter of hours and are yet another sign that America is headed straight for the edge of the cliff to the thunderous applause of all the fascists. The only way to stop this if for the Biden administration to go after Trump and all the sycophants who were ready to overthrow a democratically elected government will every aggressive legal means possible.

2 minutes ago, bustamente said:

People should never forget these clowns, the worst of what America has 

America has always been thus, but these reptiles were afraid to come out from the rocks they lived under until now.  I cannot see that America will ever be the same again.

Pretty well all Republicans in the House and Senate will not go against Trump no matter what comes out about him and his cronies. Finally Biden said today what he should of said months ago about Trump and his involvement on 1/6 and they need to keep hammering the Republicans and get the Voting Rights passed or they will loss in the mid terms and lose in 3 years.

f’ing Pelosi arguing house and senate members should be allowed to trade because we live in a free market. You can spin it all you want but it doesn’t take any high level of intellectual prowess to know the extreme unfair advantage they have. What was that term again? INSIDER KNOWLEDGE! Gee I wonder why politicians are seen in a bad light.

2 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

f’ing Pelosi arguing house and senate members should be allowed to trade because we live in a free market. You can spin it all you want but it doesn’t take any high level of intellectual prowess to know the extreme unfair advantage they have. What was that term again? INSIDER KNOWLEDGE! Gee I wonder why politicians are seen in a bad light.

just read she is worth 196 million dollars. thoroughly repulsive person.

On 2022-01-07 at 2:11 PM, HardCoreBlue said:

f’ing Pelosi arguing house and senate members should be allowed to trade because we live in a free market.

"Sen. Ossoff is set to introduce a bill that would bar members of Congress from trading stocks, per The New York Post.

The proposal would apply to members that are currently serving in office, along with their families.

Insider released findings that revealed dozens of lawmakers had infringed on the STOCK Act."

1 hour ago, Mark F said:

"Sen. Ossoff is set to introduce a bill that would bar members of Congress from trading stocks, per The New York Post.

The proposal would apply to members that are currently serving in office, along with their families.

Insider released findings that revealed dozens of lawmakers had infringed on the STOCK Act."

Like I said f’ing Pelosi with her rational. Being a politician of any stripe is just a huge grift that comes in many shapes and sizes hiding behind the ‘I’m here for the people’ lie.

Jan. 6 committee turns up forged documents declaring Trump the election winner in pivotal states: report

The House select committee has been investigating Donald Trump’s efforts to pressure individual states to declare him the winner of the 2020 election. Lawmakers investigating the Jan. 6 insurrection have obtained thousands of records from state officials — including forged certificates declaring him the winner in both Arizona and Michigan — and interviewed numerous witnesses, including the Democratic secretaries of state in each of those states, reported Politico.

“They mostly discussed election administration in Arizona, the 2020 elections, threats/harassment directed toward the office, and the Cyber Ninja’s partisan ballot review,” said a spokesperson for Arizona secretary of state Katie Hobbs.

Arizona took legal action against one of the pro-Trump “sovereign citizen” group, whose leader met with Rudy Giuliani in December 2020, by sending a cease-and-desist letter ordering them to stop using the state seal and referred the matter to the state attorney general.

“By affixing containing false and misleading information about the results of Arizona’s November 3, 2020 General Election, you undermine the confidence in our democratic institutions” Hobbs wrote to one of the pro-Trump groups.

Jan. 6 committee turns up forged documents declaring Trump the election winner in pivotal states: report - Alternet.org

11 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Like I said f’ing Pelosi with her rational. Being a politician of any stripe is just a huge grift that comes in many shapes and sizes hiding behind the ‘I’m here for the people’ lie.

I was thinking about this yesterday. This is why so much money goes to their military  budget.  half or more goes to business, and is not subject to meaningful oversight. two trillion untraceable dollars Pentagon spending as of a few years ago. non issue.

so, I agree with you. anyone genuine, like bernie, aoc, gets stepped on, grinded, and sidelined fast.

Edited by Mark F

22 minutes ago, Mark F said:

I was thinking about this yesterday. This is why so much money goes to their military  budget.  half or more goes to business, and is not subject to meaningful oversight. two trillion untraceable dollars Pentagon spending as of a few years ago. non issue.

so, I agree with you. anyone genuine, like bernie, aoc, gets stepped on, grinded, and sidelined fast.

They're too "radical" for suggesting that gov't should be there for the people and not for the corporations and mega-rich. 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

They're too "radical" for suggesting that gov't should be there for the people and not for the corporations and mega-rich. 

The American political system is fatally biased against the average American. Corporations can donate as much money to candidates as they wish, gerrymandering is a common practice, non-Caucasian voters are suppressed and "corporations are people". Every political system has flaws, but the US system is grotesquely warped. 

15 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Nancy Pelosi saying that about her right to cheat the system, feels to me like the 2022 version of

"let them eat cake"

The level of entitlement and lack of concern  feels that bad to me.

It’s like showing two middle fingers to the public and saying hey I’ve earned this, you’re lucky to have me. Remember who I am Look how well I speak I don’t have to explain anything to any of you minions. I have people who have people. Now let me go make my usual back door deals with equally disingenuous sneaky morally corrupt people of all ilk including Republicans, Democrats, executives from Fortune 500 corporations, members of the media and so forth and so forth.

Ive tried to not follow this ****, and it has helped but fell off the wagon.

so..... problem with the build back is in w virginia, and Arizona. Georgia elected a progressiveDemocrat. They worked verynhard to do that.

what does Biden decide to do? Hes going to Georgia to make a speech. Locals that worked their asses off the last few years are telling him, do not come here, till you get something done about voting protection.

hard to say if its more  stupidity, or not giving a **** with these people. The Democrats are failing badly.

"In a joint statement ahead of Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris' trip, a coalition of advocacy groups including the Black Voters Matter Fund, the Georgia NAACP, and the Asian American Advocacy Fund said the president must bring with him "an announcement of a finalized voting rights plan that will pass both chambers, not be stopped by the filibuster, and be signed into law."

"We reject any political visit that does not also come with policy progress."

"Anything less is insufficient and unwelcome," the groups said. "We reject any political visit that does not also come with policy progress—with signs of clear work done, of something accomplished. We reject any visit that fails to begin with the question, 'How does this serve the people of Georgia?' It is time for final action on voting rights, and Georgians are waiting."

common dreams.

The only Democrat that made the case directly to manchin voters is Bernie.

Edited by Mark F

13 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Ive tried to not follow this ****, and it has helped but fell off the wagon.

so..... problem with the build back is in w virginia, and Arizona. Georgia elected a progressiveDemocrat. They worked verynhard to do that.

what does Biden decide to do? Hes going to Georgia to make a speech. Locals that worked their asses off the last few years are telling him, do not come here, till you get something done about voting protection.

hard to say if its more  stupidity, or not giving a **** with these people. The Democrats are failing badly.

"In a joint statement ahead of Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris' trip, a coalition of advocacy groups including the Black Voters Matter Fund, the Georgia NAACP, and the Asian American Advocacy Fund said the president must bring with him "an announcement of a finalized voting rights plan that will pass both chambers, not be stopped by the filibuster, and be signed into law."

"We reject any political visit that does not also come with policy progress."

"Anything less is insufficient and unwelcome," the groups said. "We reject any political visit that does not also come with policy progress—with signs of clear work done, of something accomplished. We reject any visit that fails to begin with the question, 'How does this serve the people of Georgia?' It is time for final action on voting rights, and Georgians are waiting."

common dreams.

The only Democrat that made the case directly to manchin voters is Bernie.

Coming with no policy progress, no final action on voting rights = Grandstanding nothing more.