US Politics

Rich

4 hours ago, Mark F said:

AOC. 

Republicans do this because they don't believe Dems have the stones to play hardball like they do," said the New York Democrat. While admitting "for a long time they've been correct," she indicated those days would soon be over.

Republicans do this because they don't believe Dems have the stones to play hardball like they do," the New York Democrat added subsequently. "And for a long time they’ve been correct. But do not let them bully the public into thinking their bulldozing is normal but a response isn't. There is a legal process for expansion."

warren

Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) said that while Republicans "are popping champagne tonight to celebrate how they for shoved aside the wishes of the American people to steal a Supreme Court seat and impose their radical agenda on the country," Democrats are not about to give up the fight.

"Every option needs to be on the table to restore the Supreme Court's credibility and integrity," said Warren. "Every option to expand our democracy. Every option to ensure that all Americans have equal justice in our courts and representation in our institutions."

old weak Democrats need to wake up. Pelosi for one.

I am reminded of Black Widow’s quote in “Avengers” in the New York City atack “None of this will make a damn bit of difference if we don’t close that portal”. Meaning adding 4 or 6 justices to the Supreme Court won’t change a thing if Republicans re-gain power and do the same themselves. SCOTUS will have 89 seats at this rate. Harry Reid blew up SCOTUS nominations when he reduced the vote to simple majority, and the Republican shenanigans with Garland and Barrett were payback. Reid’s move was payback for McConnell’s obstruction, and on and on. Each side will pick it’s “you started it” moment (Clinton impeachment vs Bork nom failing as two examples). 

Republicans do what they do because they know that even with a popular minority, they can game their numbers in the Senate to keep hold of power. And the electoral college, gerrymandering, and voter suppression tactics all assist in keeping that power. And they don’t worry about alienating their opponents because their base will seemingly follow them to the gates of hell and not waver, although Trump is testing that theory like rarely before. Democrats can’t seem to align under one common liberal banner, so we see in-fighting which splinters the party and allows the other side to slide through. This may explain Colin’s “I don’t support Trump and am not defending him, but....” defence of Trump. He matches the profile of a Bernie Bro, who would burn down the party of his choice out of spite because his guy did not get in, versus Republicans who hold their nose at Trump so long as their party pushes the conservative agenda of pro-life, religious freedom, low taxes, heavy capitalism, and save our guns, and all vote in unison. 

So how to beat this? Don’t just expand the Supreme Court, set expansion limits so Republicans can’t double down when they take back power. Set term limits, or set limits on how many appointments can occur in one Presidential term.

But beyond that, play the system to your advantage like Repubs did. There was nothing illegal about what McConnell and the Senate did with Garland, Kavanagh and Barrett. Sure they could have allowed the Garland hearing and then voted him down anyway, so the optics of denying a hearing then and ramming one through now highlights the hypocrisy, but again they don’t care. So where do Dems have the advantage? If you believe polls, the simple majority of Americans lean Liberal. So get rid of the Electoral College and have a simple majority vote. Expand the House seats to reflect the change in US population and allow one rep for every 500,000 Americans, rounding up or down by 1 for those in between the threshold. And change the Senate with proportional representation, or limit its function so that it does not hold the balance of power on so much with so few members (California has almost 40,000,000 people and 2 senators, while the 14 least populous reliably Republican states have the same population but 28 senators). Legislate out gerrymandering and make voting as easy and accessible as possible. As Trump himself said in an interview, if every person was allowed to vote, no Republican would ever hold office again. So make that happen. Change the system for good so it just won’t flip-flop again.  Too harsh? Well, if the people will it to be so, they will change who gets elected. But right now where 35% of the population controls 52% of the senate votes, and the party that has lost the popular vote in 6 of the 7 last elections has nominated 15 of the 19 last SCOTUS justices, the system as it is looks pretty broken to the majority of America. Clean house, there may not be another time to pull this off. And for those who say why should Canadians care what the US does, just think of the global impact of deregulation of US companies on environmental issues for but one example of the answer as to why we should care. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

And then there's this incorrigible idiot: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/lynn-beyak-donated-to-trump-republican-national-committee-1.5778988

Ontario Sen. Lynn Beyak — who has been suspended twice from the Senate over her comments about the Indigenous residential school system — donated to the Republican National Committee in May despite a U.S. election law forbidding campaign contributions by foreign nationals.

According to Federal Elections Commission records, Beyak donated $300 to U.S. President Donald Trump's party while reporting a home in Dryden, N.Y. as her home residence and supplying a postal code from that area.

16 minutes ago, bustamente said:

How much are the taxpayers paying for Trump to fly around campaigning on Air Force One

I think that is okay- he is the potus, it's not like he is going to fly economy. He should though... he should.

Other POTUS have done so as well when seeking reelection. 

What is completely not correct is using Airforce or any trappings of the office as a fjckong prop in his campaign- that is wrong and a violation of the Hatch Act... but with so much of presidential norms- he just ridicules or ignores it. 

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

this is a great quote. Trump normalized being a horrible person. All these people came crawling out of their caves because Trump made it okay to be evil. I read a quote recently that said America needs to not only vote in Joe Biden, but do so in such staggering numbers that it sends a message to all these awful people to go back into hiding and never come out again. 

I don't want them hiding, I want them branded with a big T on their forehead so they can't hide from their shameful display. I want the same for people who supported/support Jason Kenney here in Alberta. You back a lunatic who wants what is worst for society you don't get to distance yourself from it. 

8 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

This crime family has serious issues with projection. I was literally double checking that she wasn't talking about trump- insane.

"First Lady Melania Trump slams Democrats: "Children watching and learning about politics in our country deserve a better display of political responsibility."

Yes, be best.

7 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I don't want them hiding, I want them branded with a big T on their forehead so they can't hide from their shameful display. I want the same for people who supported/support Jason Kenney here in Alberta. You back a lunatic who wants what is worst for society you don't get to distance yourself from it. 

Yeah, I can get behind that as long as you include with the branding this:

giphy.gif

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

15 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

I tried to believe she still doesn’t know the language too well. 
And not the English language, but the human language.              Despicable.

Donald J Trump role model............................said no one ever, she files for divorce the second he loses, be best to get first in line before it's all gone

White House Declares Pandemic Over As It Cites Renowned Scientist Ivanka Trump.

The Trump administration triumphantly declared victory over the coronavirus pandemic on Tuesday, one week before the 2020 election and with COVID-19 cases surging across the country.

“Over the past four years, President Trump’s policies and investments in science and technology ensure America stands ready to solve today’s most pressing challenges and that our workforce is prepared for tomorrow’s innovations,” Ivanka Trump said. “For years to come, these achievements will guarantee the United States remains the world’s leader in research, discovery and the advancement of industries that will shape our future.”
https://apple.news/An_bZsGgYQ5u-y978nB8eiQ

3 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

the party that has lost the popular vote in 6 of the 7 last elections has nominated 15 of the 19 last SCOTUS justices, t

informed comment, thanks.

didnt the democrats approve most of republican nominees?

I know they approved of Roberts.

Fox tv playing Obama. I

I think I can smell a bit of fear for license.

Edited by Mark F

ok normally I don't go for this lol GOP kinda stuff but good lord this is some kind of story.   it's from 2017 so you might have heard it already

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2017/03/tennessee-anti-lgbtq-lawmakers-torrid-affair-cousin-revealed/

"Court records show that since 2014, Dr. Joey Hensley has been having an affair with a married woman who is a nurse in his practice, as well as his patient and his second cousin."

when you get deeper in the article you find out she wasn't -really- his patient. He was just writing pain med prescriptions for her while she was sexing him up, so it was more of a casual thing.

what is the big German word for incest-cuckold-sexual-harassment-professional-misconduct-drug-dealer?

Anyway, dude is currently facing discipline from the doctor authority in Tennessee. 

Edited by johnzo

5 minutes ago, bustamente said:

48 years old , she is going to be there for a very long time unless they bring in term limits

Yeah, @JCon had suggested:

11 hours ago, JCon said:

Expand the court to 13, to be consistent with the original intent of having the same number of judges as circuits. Introduce term limits of 13 years and have one expire each year. 

Which is a really solid idea and would mitigate a lot issues.

I also like Buttegieg's idea of GOP pick 5, Dems pick 5 and then those 10 justices appoint another 5 with unanimous consent.- for a total of 15 SCOTUS Justices. 

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy