US Politics

Rich

26 minutes ago, the watcher said:

If it all goes away that quietly I'd be surprised.  Trump's election was a symptom of a diseased society. The disease isn't being treated. It will resurface. It's like a nasty STD. If you don't treat the root causes it will always come back. Next time they might get a smarter " Trump  like leader ".

DeSantis, anyone?

DeSantis is definitely smarter than Trump but then again a plant is smarter than Trump, it also looks like he has some evil instilled in him. Problem with him is name recognition outside of Florida and how quickly they can make him a name brand across the States. Next to McConnell atm he has the most punchable face in politics

31 minutes ago, bustamente said:

DeSantis is definitely smarter than Trump but then again a plant is smarter than Trump, it also looks like he has some evil instilled in him. Problem with him is name recognition outside of Florida and how quickly they can make him a name brand across the States. Next to McConnell atm he has the most punchable face in politics

Ted Cruz, Matt Gaetz, MTG, and Gym Jordan would all like a word.

DeSantis is worrying to me in that while Trump spouted nonsense because it’s what the base wanted to hear and it inflated his ego to have those followers at his rallies, DeSantis actually believes his agenda. Trump wanted power for power’s sake, just to line his own pockets. DeSantis really wants the “dumb them down, anti-science, 1930’s school education” mindset to take hold. Trump exposed that there are still a ton of segregation-era thinkers out there, DeSantis seems to have galvanized them in Florida and is immensely popular and ruthlessly effective in that state in implementing his mandate.  That groundswell of popularity I fear could easily spread throughout the entire Republican US. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

2 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Ted Cruz, Matt Gaetz, MTG, and Gym Jordan would all like a word.

DeSantis is worrying to me in that while Trump spouted nonsense because it’s what the base wanted to hear and it inflated his ego to have those followers at his rallies, DeSantis actually believes his agenda. Trump wanted power for power’s sake, just to line his own pockets. DeSantis really wants the “dumb them down, anti-science, 1930’s school education” mindset to take hold. Trump exposed that there are still a ton of segregation-era thinkers out there, DeSantis seems to have galvanized them in Florida and is immensely popular and ruthlessly effective in that state in implementing his mandate.  That groundswell of popularity I fear could easily spread throughout the entire Republican US. 

Too late! A good deal of the GOP is already radicalized. Some of them were there but latent, and others gravitated to the party when Trump ascended to the leadership. As has happened in Canada, this has and will continue to cause a rift in the right wing which will cause a formal split, then two solitudes, then a shotgun marriage when they get tired of being out of power, but it will be an uneasy union at best.

22 hours ago, Tracker said:

Agreed. The general public reactions to Trump's cheating on his taxes and not being audited was admiration, not anger, and that shows the mindset of much of American society. Its called economic cannibalism where one or more members of a society enrich themselves by feeding on others. That will ultimately doom them as it did in Rome and many other civilizations. It is not sustainable, but for those enjoying the short term gains, it is worth sacrificing the future in order to feast on the present to the point of gluttony.

Trump is different because he's openly obnoxious, unhindered and obscene, but I believe the U.S. has always operated in this way, from the very beginning, it has been a society of extreme wealth flanked by extreme poverty.  Slavery flourished for 250 years unhindered, establishing vast inequities that became entrenched and generational on both ends of the spectrum.

Once slavery was abolished a vast influx of poor white immigrants were recruited to pick up the slack to fuel the fortunes of the ruling class built off of their backs.  A nation established and driven by greed with no end in sight, as 95% of Americans still believe they live in the greatest country in the world.  God help 'em.

Edited by Fatty Liver

Mark Milley’s testimony reveals Trump plan to get back at retired military officers who criticized him

The Jan. 6 insurrection testimony of General Mark Milley revealed that there were conversations among members of the Trump administration to court-martial retired military officers who criticized Trump’s handling of 2020 civil unrest in published op-eds, Insider reports.

A 20th Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and top military aide to Trump since 2019, Milley’s testimony was part of a trove of documents the committee released earlier this week.
The testimony includes Rep. Elaine Luria (D-VA) asking if Milley considered approaching former Trump advisor, Michael Flynn, about the administration's desire to enforce military action against the retired officers. Milley said he was “concerned about the politicization of the military” after op-eds “very critical of then President Trump” by retired military officers were published.

Milley said, "There was actually discussions with me: Bring him back on Active Duty, court-martial him, you know, make him walk the plank sort of thing, right? I advised them not to do that, because that would further politicize, in my personal view."

Retired military officers the administration targeted for court-martialing were not named during testimony, but according to Insider, a few did publish op-eds criticizing the way Trump responded to nationwide protests following George Floyd’s murder in 2020.

For Foreign Policy, retired Marine Corps General John Allen wrote, “Donald Trump expressed only the barest of condolences at the murder of George Floyd, but he also said nothing about the fundamental and underlying reasons for the unrest: systemic racism and inequality, a historic absence of respect, and a denial of justice.”

Allen also highlighted that Trump "threatened to deploy the U.S. military against American citizens."

https://www.alternet.org/mark-milley-testimony-military-trump/

On 2023-01-02 at 12:14 AM, Fatty Liver said:

Trump is different because he's openly obnoxious, unhindered and obscene, but I believe the U.S. has always operated in this way, from the very beginning, it has been a society of extreme wealth flanked by extreme poverty.  Slavery flourished for 250 years unhindered, establishing vast inequities that became entrenched and generational on both ends of the spectrum.

Once slavery was abolished a vast influx of poor white immigrants were recruited to pick up the slack to fuel the fortunes of the ruling class built off of their backs.  A nation established and driven by greed with no end in sight, as 95% of Americans still believe they live in the greatest country in the world.  God help 'em.

Yep...totally agree. 

2 hours ago, bustamente said:

Will Kevin McCarthy become speaker of the house, I guess it depends if he drops his pants enough times 

McCarthy doesn't have the votes. Scalise doesn't have the votes. Biggs doesn't have the votes. There's only one man who can truly unite the Republican Party... Neurosurgeon, Nobel Prize winner, and WWII hero GEORGE SANTOS 

From Twitter

27 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

McCarthy doesn't have the votes. Scalise doesn't have the votes. Biggs doesn't have the votes. There's only one man who can truly unite the Republican Party... Neurosurgeon, Nobel Prize winner, and WWII hero GEORGE SANTOS 

From Twitter

You forgot NFL and Super Bowl MVP, the man who cured the common cold and who brought peace to the middle east.